I should probably save this response in a note or something, but we went through this a year ago. Rear leg amp. The first two weeks are really hard. I second guessed myself over and over again. We had a few setbacks with swelling in the first week, I went back to the surgeon after the first night Homs as I was worried about the incision but there really wasn’t anything to worry about. Do stay ahead of the pain because we didn’t and I regret it. We finally found our stride and she healed up great. Wishing you speedy healing and great success in beating this awful cancer. 

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

A Tessie update: had chest X-rays today. This was a step before I decided to make the drive from denver to salt lake for the Yale vaccine. The tumor she had in March that grew in April and then disappeared in May is back. This time it’s 1.5 cm. Still small enough that the trial is worth doing. So we are heading out next Thursday to salt lake. Wish me serenity, I don’t enjoy road trips. 

Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

• 2 weeks later...

Back from salt lake. About 16 hours of driving 1035 miles over 2.5 days and I am worn out. So is Tessie. We got her vax #1 though so the trip was a success. We’ll do it again in three weeks but split it over 4.5 days instead. 

On 6/26/2023 at 4:22 PM, 1Moregrey said:

Glad it was a successful trip for Tessie and you. How often will you be making the trip? May you both get energized now that you are home and comfortable.  Keep us posted:kiss2

We only have to go twice, thank goodness. I am not a road trip person. Though the drive was lovely. 

• 2 weeks later...

Off to Utah again on Wednesday for our final vaccine. She did not develop a sterile abscess after the first one. There is some speculation that the development of a sterile abscess means it’s working, but other dogs are producing antibodies without developing the abscess. Either we, we are thrilled to participate in this clinical trike for both the promise of it helping Tessie and also to allow Yale to gather more valuable data. Science and medicine are cool. 

Easy! She was a better traveler this time and the appointment was short. Now we have to schedule bloodwork for day 40 and X-rays for day 90. 

It's a weird feeling to be re-reading your own posts to remember what to expect when and what to ask the oncologist.

Willa has started to limp slightly when she first gets up and when she picks up speed on a walk. We're on constant fracture watch, and it's so stressful.

I hate this.

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

6 hours ago, ramonaghan said:

It's a weird feeling to be re-reading your own posts to remember what to expect when and what to ask the oncologist.

Willa has started to limp slightly when she first gets up and when she picks up speed on a walk. We're on constant fracture watch, and it's so stressful.

I hate this.

:grouphug :grouphug

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Sundrop and Gim, warmest thoughts to you and your pups on this journey.  

There’s really not enough data yet to say what the outcome might be, but if it can extend Tessie’s time with us, it will be worth it. 

Thanks from all of us for doing this.  We know it's not just for Tessie, but for all of our precious dogs (and maybe us humans, in the future).  

Rachel -- The anxiety! :( 

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

15 hours ago, EllenEveBaz said:

Sundrop and Gim, warmest thoughts to you and your pups on this journey.  

Thanks from all of us for doing this.  We know it's not just for Tessie, but for all of our precious dogs (and maybe us humans, in the future).  

Rachel -- The anxiety! :( 

Yes…that’s been on my mind too. All of this data is critical so that if it works, it can be made widely available. If people weren’t willing to join clinical trials, no progress could be made. 

• 2 weeks later...

We just had our oncology appointment and there a huge mass (5cm x 5cm) that could be a lymph node. Might do a CAT scan. Sending off for bloodwork first. 

Possible outcomes:

a) response to vax. Means it’s working. Yay. 
b) infection. Treat with ABs

c) metastatic lymphoma (very rare, would be the first ever time this oncologist has seen it. Very aggressive and ver bad news)

d) secondary lymphoma. Again, not likely. But also if it is, it’s not operable and we also can’t biopsy it to know for sure. 

Next steps: first wait for bloodwork. Then CAT scan maybe in 2-4 weeks. Or X-rays in 2-4 weeks. 

this is quite the emotionally exhausting journey. We are 13 months post-amp and counting. 

I’m trying really hard to be optimistic. I forgot to mention earlier that we are stopping Palladia and rapamycin for now to see if it will help Tessie gain weight. She’s lost 10 lbs in six weeks while I’ve gained 10 so we both have work to do on the scale. 

Oh Tessie :hope

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Bloodwork has ruled out infection. Her blood work looks great, actually. So I’m waiting for a call after radiology is done with their report. Then we’ll determine next steps. 

Bad news friends. The radiologist thinks the mass is in her lungs. We repeat X-rays in three weeks to give the Yale vax time to work. Then talk next steps from there, which might include a CT scan. 

We are keeping the light on for Tessie. She’s a fighter. 

:grouphug