Updated Diagnosis For Tilly...osteosarcoma

Just got home from the vet, as Tilly developed massive swelling in her leg last night. We noticed some anamolies with her hip bone, as well - and decreased appetite. Vet wanted to do another x-Ray (had them done last on 12/22) and she came back to the room looking very sullen. Tilly has a very large mass on her knee...osteosarcoma.

Given that nothing appeared on her 12/22 X-rays, they are saying it is very aggressive, given its current size. Her chest X-ray looked clear. We asked her prognosis with no treatment and vet said, "A month...maybe 2."

My head is spinning now - should we amputate? She we follow up with chemo? Do we just try and make her comfortable and let her go without treatment? Just was not expecting this and I know we need to make a decision soon...

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No advice, just so sorry :( I'm sure others will chime in with their experience and thoughts. If it were me, I would make my pup comfortable rather than spending thousands on the possibility of a few more months. But it's what you can and are willing to do that will make the decision.

Dave (GLS DeviousDavid) - 6/27/18
Gracie (AMF Saying Grace) - 10/21/12
Bella (KT Britta) - 4/29/05 to 2/13/20

Guest afulton

I'm so very sorry to hear this. We have lost two Greys to this awful disease. In my experience, the pain is very difficult to control. Both of mine had to be put down 2 weeks after diagnosis. Besides the money issue, I would not choose to put my Grey through amputation and chemo. Our vet (who the adoption agency has used for decades) said it would only give them 6-18 more months. I personally wouldn't want to put them through all that pain and suffering (chemo has the same effects on them as it does humans) , especially for such a short time.

My heart is aching for you. I so know the shock and how this feels! Blessings, Alice

This is sad and we're all sorry to hear this. I was discussing this just the other day with a Greyhound friend who has 5 Greys and we both agreed that we would not put our hounds through intensive treatment, such as amputation and chemo, especially if the dog was elderly. Everybody can chime in, but in the end, it's what works for you and Tilly.

Adding my sympathy as well. You've been through the wringer with Tilly the past month. Hugs and good thoughts to you both.

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

Oh, I'm so very sorry! I wish I could say I didn't know what you were experiencing, or that I didn't know what you'll be dealing with, but so many of us have seen that look in our vet's eyes.

Give Tilly scritches for us, and know that we're here for you to share your concerns AND your celebrations. Please also know that whatever you decide, it IS the RIGHT decision -- you know Tilly best, and know what you can both deal with together. The good news is that Tilly trusts you with all her heart, so you cannot go wrong.

Gentle hugs.

I'm so very sorry to hear this. We have lost two Greys to this awful disease. In my experience, the pain is very difficult to control. Both of mine had to be put down 2 weeks after diagnosis. Besides the money issue, I would not choose to put my Grey through amputation and chemo. Our vet (who the adoption agency has used for decades) said it would only give them 6-18 more months. I personally wouldn't want to put them through all that pain and suffering (chemo has the same effects on them as it does humans) , especially for such a short time.

My heart is aching for you. I so know the shock and how this feels! Blessings, Alice

FYI, most dogs do not have any side effects from chemo. It is not the same as with humans.

So sorry to hear this. You have to face this with a combination of knowledge and your gut feelings.

Pogo is 8 years old and was diagnosed with osteosarcoma at the end of October. We immediately sent xrays to Dr. Couto for a consult.

We were really hesitant to put Pogo through Chemo. Our second greyhound, Icabod, had hemangiosarcoma back in 1995. I cannot remember the cocktail of chemo drugs he was on, but he did not do well. I think we stopped the chemo partway through his 3rd round. Once we stopped the chemo he was happy again. He made it 11 months post tumor rupture on his spleen.

Fast forward 20 years to Pogo. He had his front right leg amputated on November 20th. He had some complications after the surgery. He developed an arrhythmia most likely from the pain meds. The cardiologist could not find any physical problems with his heart. Pogo also quit eating so the vet school sent him home hoping he would eat for us. Unfortunately that was not the case. He would not eat for us and we could not pill him. We took him back to the vet school where they found that he had a fever of 106 and a UTI. Once his fever and infection were under control, he began to eat again. I think he ended up spending a total of 9 days at the vet school.

Yesterday Pogo had his 3rd carboplatin treatment. He has not had a bad reaction to the chemo, but given our bad experience with Icabod 20 years ago, I have given Pogo cerenia after each carbo treatment. If Pogo was not part of the rapamycin study, his 3rd treatment would not have been delayed, but for the study, his neutrophils were too low. We are treating Pogo with gabapentin for phantom pains, but I think we may be starting to get a handle on those now.

There is a reason we named him Pogo - he pogos and pogos a lot. The staff at the vet school cannot get over how energetic and non-greyhound like Pogo is. He hops around the clinic, barks at other dogs, and whines and howls if he doesn't get enough attention from staff or humans in the waiting room. When our neighbors came over for dinner during the holidays, Pogo was hopping and jumping to greet them at the door. Even though our neighbors knew we had a greyhound (they did not meet him till that day) with osteo and that he had his leg amputated, they did not even realize it because of all his jumping.

There is a osteo thread here that you can get much information and learn of others experiences with osteosarcoma: http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php/topic/305786-osteo-thread-part-8/

Many people on this board have been through this so you can always come here with your questions.

Annette

Annette, mom to Banjo (AJN Spider Man) & Casey (kitty), wife to Roy. Mom to bridgekids: Wheat (GH), Icabod (GH), Scarlett (Cab's Peg Bundy), Rhett (Kiowa Day Juice), Dixie (Pazzo Dixie), Pogo/Gleason (Rambunctious), and Miriam (Miriam of Ruckus) and Spooky, Taffy, Garfield, & Lefty (kitties)

Really? Our vet said they were the same side effects. Good to know they don't suffer with that too.

Your vet gave you really poor advice. As an FYI--pets do not receive the same high doses that people do. Let's face it-with people we want to achieve curative results and keep it that way for a very long time. It's a bit different with pets--we really only try to achieve remission--remission for the rest of their lives--10-14 years? Because of the lower doses pets do not experience the potentially awful side effects of chemo-rarely loss of hair..... Chemo affects rapidly dividing cells so this is why you may see some GI distress-vomitng, diarrhea and loss of appetite. Thankfully, there are very effective medications to combat them--anti-diarrheal, anti-nausea meds are extremely helpful.

Regarding Tilly--I'm so sorry you were given that horrible diagnosis. I'm sure whichever direction you make going forward it will be made with only the best for your girl. Hopefully, some others will chime in with their amp experiences so, you can weigh out the pros and cons.

Edited by tbhounds

I'm so sorry :grouphug for you and Tilly.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

My heart drops every time I see a post like yours. I'm so sorry.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

I'm sorry your facing this. Hugs for you and your girl.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Oh no, I'm so sorry, I saw the title of the thread and my heart and stomach sunk. My thoughts and prayers are with Tilly and your family, whatever chose to do.

Edited by seeh2o

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

I'm so sorry to hear this news. I've said no to chemo, but different kind of cancer, different circumstances, different dog. Whatever you decide is right for you and your family, we'll be here for you and Tilly.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

I'm so sorry. As others have said, there are way too many of us who have been exactly where you are now.

There are many individual factors to consider, and only you can make the best decision for all involved. From the dogs perspective you need to consider their age, their physical ability to get around after amputation, their comfort in the vets office and hospital situations (they will be there a LOT for the first few months), how easy your home would be to get around in for a dog with three legs, how does your dog handle pain?

What's your family situation? Is someone able to take off three weeks to get your dogs through the surgery and recovery? Will you have someone available to help with the daily med schedule? If something happens to the dog at home - another leg breaks, or an organ ruptures, a serious heart or lung issue - can you get the dog to the vet by yourself?

Lastly, but importantly, amps are expensive. Some pet insurances will pay for most, some for not much at all, if you're lucky enough to have it. We ended up with nearly 10 months post amp with our boy and most of it was really good quality time. But we also spent nearly $15,000, most of it in the first three months. We were fortunate that we had a windfall at exactly the right time. Otherwise, we would have had to make a very different choice.

If you opt for palliative care, just keep in mind that osteo is hideously painful - we know this from people who have experienced it - so pain management is absolutely crucial. Most vets will be way too conservative with pain medication, and follow rules for "normal" pain relief, but side effects, long term effects, really don't matter, and you need to have enough pain meds on board to combat the pain and keep your dog comfortable. It's also a good idea to have an injectable narcotic on hand at home in case something bad does happen.

There is no right or wrong choice. Only your choice. If you have questions, ask. If you want to rant about, go ahead. It's probably one of the hardest decisions you'll ever make. {{{HUGS}}}

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I'm so very sorry to see this horrible diagnosis for Tilly.

Her symptoms mentioned in your previous posts were deeply concerning.

Sending strength and supportive thoughts as you rapidly process potential choices for Tilly.

Meanwhile, I hope her pain can be managed with generous doses of medication as effectively as possible. What a trooper your girl has been during the past month. Hugs.

Such sad news. The right decision is the one you choose.do not second guess yourself or have regrets over your course of action. You are the one who knows how much your family and your dog can endure. Do review the osteo thread. You will find many different experiences. Some dogs live happy years after amp, and some never make it out of the hospital. If only we had that crystal ball! Spend lots of time with her and keep ahead of the pain. Hugs!

This is always an horrific thing to have to come to terms with but don't fear... when you really love your dog it is not possible to make a wrong decision. Many just don't get to make it to extreme old age and certainly with dogs in the wild it hardly ever happens. All I can tell you is that there is 'no blame' in whatever course you decide to take so base your decision on the prognosis plus the temperament of the dog. Palliative care and euthanasia options are there to back you up. :bighug

I am very sorry. This disease takes far too many of our pups. As for your decision on what to do, it's never easy and you have to take into consideration Tilly's age, general health and your finances. I would suggest a chest X-ray regardless to see whether it has spread to her lungs, that unfortunately will make the decision for you.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.