Buddy Molly, aged 12 years, 11 months and five days

MerseyGrey

IMG_5374

I thought I’d start with an introduction since I never did that properly when I joined GreyTalk

This is Buddy Molly, born Nov 5th 2010, one of two boys from a litter of seven. Buddy was an Essex boy, and ran all of his 112 races in Romford, retiring in February 2015. We don’t know anything about the the three years between then and when he turned up at the Dog’s Trust rehoming centre on Merseyside in March 2018, but we know that he was a quite gentle boy, and that the staff loved him, because when we turned up looking for a German shepherd in June 2018, they told us that they couldn’t understand why nobody had had shown any interest in him. Looking around the kennels, we remember seeing a big black slouch who couldn’t be bothered to get off his bed for the piece of chicken we waved at him through the bars. When he did, he made it clear that it wasn’t really worth the effort, although the chin rubs he got were ok, but he took himself back off to his bed and we returned to our original plan of bringing home a GSD. 
Back with the volunteers we chatted a bit, they said they thought a greyhound would be a better fir for our lifestyle as we both worked, and had we thought about Buddy? They supposed that he was overlooked because he was black, which shocked us and made us think twice about him. At that moment, he was going for his afternoon walk, so was brought in for a proper meet and greet and…the rest is history. We were in love.

757F37C5-CD00-4407-A728-D91ABBAC827B

That summer was a scorcher, and he spent whatever time he could in the garden. When he wasn’t, he could be found on his new bed, stretched out on his back, legs akimbo. He didn’t roach much in his later years - possibly because I couldn’t resist rubbing his belly when it was exposed, possibly because of his arthritis. But this was a common sight in 2018.

3D972242-25F1-45B1-B815-8E3625D79100

He fitted so well into our lives, like he had always been part of the tribe. We took holidays with him and tried to find places he would enjoy. This photo was from a place called Beddgelert in Snowdonia, resting place of faithful hound Gelert who defended and protected his masters’ son. Due to a misunderstanding by the stoopid human, Gelert was killed and was buried here (so the story goes). Buddy paid appropriate homage and peed on the grave. Woodland adventures were Buddy’s favourites and he loved all the new smells. He would strut ahead of us in his quest to get to some unknown destination ahead of his deadweight humans. This holiday above was where we forgot to take his muzzle and found that his behaviour towards other dogs was much better. From this time onwards, we didn’t muzzle him and we made a bit of progress with his dog reactivity, soon to be scuppered by covid.

Egg nog pound cake

Buddy’s main role in the family was chief taste tester and quality assurance for belly rubs and ear scritches. His assessment was that Dad was a bit stingy with the food and that Mum could be persuaded to almost anything. He ensured that we both bought a new car each for greyhound transportation, but steadfastly refused to look like he was enjoying Mum’s car, while he was as good as gold when Dad’s car was reversed up to the house.

A7515BEA-B316-40B3-86F2-64FBA33B9C9C

Buddy’s favourite toy was Honky the Hedgehog, and he destroyed many during his tenure at Maison Haydon. But he wasn’t so picky that he wouldn’t play with other toys. Nanny Janny and Grandpapa John were dispatched to the United States on an errand (whilst pretending to go over to look after their new grandchild): bring back the fabled LambChop who was such a favourite with American hounds. Buddy played with her for all of ten minutes on the first day, snatching her from Granny’s hand before unceremoniously dumping her in the garden so he could have belly rubs from his favourite Nanny. He also loved the flamingo he got from Dad one birthday, but only for a little longer

IMG_9047

In his older years he still loved to have a mad minute (half an hour was way too long) and could be seen dashing around the garden, usually with Honky flying through the air. These moments were spontaneous and sudden and I will cherish these memories forever. Since starting injections for arthritis in September 2022, he regained some vigour and a lust for life and they greatly improved his quality of life, we believe. The deterioration that we started to see in the last three months or so we had accounted to needing a higher dose of Librela. We hadn’t considered that our handsome old man might be slowing down for other reasons

IMG_6818

Many of you have read, advised and offered support on the other posts I’ve made recently, for which I am indescribably grateful, so I won’t dwell too much on his last few weeks. In summary, he began to lose his appetite and initially what we thought was a treatable infection in his gallbladder was more likely lymphoma. Having seen how this can affect the internal organs, I’m not surprised that he was off his food and am amazed at his capacity to cope for as long as he did. While I’m struggling to come to terms with our decision, I know that ultimately it was probably the kindest thing to do because a perforation would have been painful and slow and lingering for him. Hopefully we can take some time to reflect on this over the next week or so.

Five years, three months and twenty-five days. We go on our first holiday without him on Friday. We had booked a cabin in a forest for his sniffaris, and were planning on taking him for short walks on the beach, since we discovered he loved the beach on a holiday last year. He loved it so much that he did this…

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CbDZBhGqwl9/?igshid=NzZhOTFlYzFmZQ==  (This video is worth a watch if you haven’t seen it)

We are going to go to places that he would have loved, and we are going to buy cakes that he would have shared with us, and we are going to remember him and his goofiness, his gentle but demanding personality. This is one of the last photos I took of him at the weekend, snuggled with his dad, looking at his mum, and hopefully knowing how much he was loved. If you’ve got this far, thanks for reading and I hope you’ve enjoyed the photos :heart

IMG_0146

Buddy Molly 🌈 5/11/10-10/10/23

A beautiful tribute to your handsome boy. How could I have forgotten Buddy taking his dad for a spin on the beach? What a character. Thank you for sharing him with us. Sending big hugs across the ocean. :heart  

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

So very sorry for your loss of beautiful Buddy. This is a lovely tribute for a hound that was incredibly loved. God speed Buddy.

Mom to Ranger (PB's Long Ranger), Esso (Kiowa Stay Over) and Cookie the rattie mix

Missing Kahn (Gil's Khan) 10-29-03 - 11-7-16  Belle (Regall Belooow) 8-9-07 - 3-12-17  Star (Greyt Star) 1-19-07 - 3-13-2020  Pitch (Emerald Pitch) 4-1-08 - 6-3-2020

One of my fav pics of Buddy, staring at the Bundt cake cooling on the stove and willing it to drop to the floor for taste testing :beatheart You gave your boy the best life a hound could ever hope for, the best five years, three months, 25 days ever. :grouphug

Take care of yourselves and trust that Buddy is watching over you.

<This is one of the last photos I took of him at the weekend, snuggled with his dad, looking at his mum, and hopefully knowing how much he was loved.>      He knew :heart

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

This tribute hit me in all the feels.  His last picture says it all - he is loved and he loved.  

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

Oh NO!!!  :eek  I'm so, so sorry.  He was a sweet boy, and of course he knew he was loved!!!

Run in Peace Buddy, over the Rainbow Bridge, where your Mom and Dad will find you waiting someday.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Buddy seems to be your equivalent of what Rocket was for me, that once-in-a-lifetime pup. He loved you and knew how loved he was. I'm once again sitting here with tears in my eyes for a dog I never met, but feel like I knew well. I am going to miss Buddy's posts and adventures. 

I am so sorry that he had to leave, but you kept your ultimate promise to Buddy. I have a feeling you will be seeing signs from him for a long time. Enjoy your trip, and smile at all of the memories. 

Run-free, Buddy. :f_red

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Thank you both.

@Time4ANap in his last few months, Buddy posed just like Rocket does in your signature picture and he reminded me of him, although his colouring couldn’t be more different! I tried so often to take a photo of him in that pose, but every time I got near him with the camera, he’d lift his head with a look that said ‘what are you doing woman?’ He has left a very big hole in our hearts

10 minutes ago, MerseyGrey said:

Thank you both.

@Time4ANap in his last few months, Buddy posed just like Rocket does in your signature picture and he reminded me of him, although his colouring couldn’t be more different! I tried so often to take a photo of him in that pose, but every time I got near him with the camera, he’d lift his head with a look that said ‘what are you doing woman?’ He has left a very big hole in our hearts

Rocket was sunbathing in that photo. It is not enhanced in any way. We had a crate that was next to a large window. The crate was left open all the time in case Rocket wanted his own space (the whole house was his space) and he would hang out in the crate when the sunbeams were just right for sunbathing. That's what he was doing in that picture. 

That hole never heals completely, but one day when you least expect it you will find yourself laughing at some memory of Buddy and you will know that the healing has started. 

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

We go on our first holiday without him on Friday. We had booked a cabin in a forest for his sniffaris

Have a wonderfully sad and grateful holiday.  His spirit will be with you, every step.  

Sniffaris -- :lol 

How you met reminds me of my Romie, whom you never met.  I asked at the kennel who needed a home the most, and was told, That big quiet one.  There's not a thing wrong with him, but people just the dark fur and the white on his muzzle and think he's just an old black dog, and walk on by.  Buddy might have been giving you a test to see if you could tell that he was truly made out of gold.    

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

I'm so very sorry. You made the right call at the right time, but that's small consolation for the loss of a special boy. Buddy was in exactly the right home. Your tribute to him is beautiful and touching.

Godspeed Buddy.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

6 hours ago, EllenEveBaz said:

Have a wonderfully sad and grateful holiday.  His spirit will be with you, every step.  

Sniffaris -- :lol 

How you met reminds me of my Romie, whom you never met.  I asked at the kennel who needed a home the most, and was told, That big quiet one.  There's not a thing wrong with him, but people just the dark fur and the white on his muzzle and think he's just an old black dog, and walk on by.  Buddy might have been giving you a test to see if you could tell that he was truly made out of gold.    

Romie :heart I think I might always be drawn to the quiet ones now. It’s a pleasure to watch their personalities begin to shine..

5 hours ago, GreyPoopon said:

I'm so very sorry. You made the right call at the right time, but that's small consolation for the loss of a special boy. Buddy was in exactly the right home. Your tribute to him is beautiful and touching.

Godspeed Buddy.

thank you

Sorry Buddy had to leave you but you all shared such love!

Miss "England" Carol with whippet lurcher Nutmeg & Zavvi the Chihuahua.

R.I.P. Chancey (Goosetree Chance). 24.1.2009 - 14.4.2022. Bluegrass Banjoman. 25.1.2004 - 25.5.2015 and Ch. Sleepyhollow Aida. 30.9.2000 - 10.1.2014.

:f_whiteI was so sorry to read this - sending you both :grouphug.

That is a wonderful tribute you have written (and illustrated); run free dear Buddy Molly - and know that you live forever in your Mum and Dad's hearts :gh_run2

Clare with Tiger (Snapper Gar, b. 18/05/2015), and remembering Ken (Boomtown Ken, 01/05/2011-21/02/2020) and Doc (Barefoot Doctor, 20/08/2001-15/04/2015).

"It is also to be noted of every species, that the handsomest of each move best ... and beasts of the most elegant form, always excel in speed; of this, the horse and greyhound are beautiful examples."----Wiliam Hogarth, The Analysis of Beauty, 1753.

That is one of the most beautiful tributes I have ever read. I was very moved in reading it and getting the opportunity to know a little of and marvel and yes love Buddy.  There is so much love surrounding him! It is most obvious.  Clearly a super special houndie :beatheart                                                                                                                        :f_red              "For love is as strong as death....
                                                                                                                                                                      Many waters cannot quench love, nor can the floods drown it.
                                                                                                                                                  If a man would give for love all the wealth of his house, it would be utterly despised."

-Song of Solomon 8:6-7

"Some animals...leave a trail of glory behind them.
They give their spirit to the place where they have lived,
and remain forever a part of the rocks and streams and the wind and sky."

- Marguerite Henry                    

:brokenheart

Run Free Buddy Molly   :gh_run2

Remember all the good times...

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

What a great time you all had together! 

You're great houndie parents. I hope that when the time is right, and the right dog comes along, you'll open your home and hearts to another. 

Lila Football
Jerilyn, missing Lila (Good Looking), new Mistress to Wiki (PJ Wicked).