Today I am a dog Updated: ...... and I now have a home

macoduck

Today I am a dog.
Two years ago I was abandoned in Portugal, fending for myself before some good people tried patiently to catch me in a trap.
I was not a dog then. I was a wild animal with no trust in humans.
They fed me and tended to my medical needs, yet I was not yet a dog who could feel their love. I could begin to feel their caring hearts, but I did not understand it. I was safe and fed, but in a large shelter sharing my space with many other dogs.
One day the people there spoke to me with such happy voices that I did not understand. Something big was about to happen.
That big thing was an airplane that flew me across an ocean!
I was to begin my new life in a foster home with 3 other podencos and a greyhound.
But I was still not a dog.
I was fearful of new smells and noises and new humans. I had a big fenced yard that I ran around looking for an escape hole. I did not know this was a safe place yet.
But I am beginning to see the routine here by watching my dog family: breakfast, potty time, nap time, play in the yard time, dinner time, potty time, and bed time and I see that these are good things.
Today I am a dog!
My worried face is melting as I begin to relax.
I do not flinch when a hand comes toward me.
I come to the lady and sit by her to be petted.
I gain confidence from watching how happy and silly the other dogs are, and I help them chase imaginary squirrels.
Today I am a dog!
274853183_3281060495552365_1728351463823

Tete's status is still "foster".  Having 5 dogs again is a bit much. He will need a lot of time to continue decompressing. Not rushing into adoption yet.

Edited by macoduck

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

:kiss2  so glad she found you :)  she's just too sweet :kiss2 

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Awesome post, Ducky! We need lots of progress reports and pics! Love the white face. 

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

:wub:

What a wonderful verse.

Anyone who has adopted animals from unpleasant circumstances  ‘get it’….

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

:yay Welcome to your "foster" home Tete. It's all good now, young man, you've already begun to understand that :beatheart 

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Tete looks more relaxed already. I bet he'll look awesome in 6 months. :beatheart 

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Love the ears.

Well done Tete on finding someone who can help you be a dog and well done macoduck for helping Tete do that.

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

I'm keeping Tete in a foster status. There are times when he has been terrified of my husband, especially if hubby is in the garage Tete must pass through to the backyard. So far the only treat he will take is small pieces of Kraft american cheese, but he won't take it from hubby yet. If I let him off leash in the fenced backyard it can be near impossible to get him in. It does help to have my Rita beside me seeking affection as that will draw him closer. If I'm working in the yard he is off leash and will follow me around. I casually zigzag as I walk around rather walk a direct line towards him. He absolutely must be on leash for last potty at night, the most difficult time to get him back in with all the highway noises startling him.

Fingers crossed he continues with his very slow progress over the next 2 weeks. Then I'll try to determine his happiness level with us.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

We'll cross fingers and paws here, too, for whatever is best.

What a beautiful russet color his body is.  Even though he's from Portugal, I am guessing his name is from the French for head?  Those introductions with the rest of your pack were not Tete a tete, they were tete a queue (head to tail).  :) 

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

2 hours ago, EllenEveBaz said:

Even though he's from Portugal, I am guessing his name is from the French for head?  Those introductions with the rest of your pack were not Tete a tete, they were tete a queue (head to tail).  :) 

I've been FB messaging with a board member of the Portugese rescue group about his name. Yes, Tete is French for head, but in Portugal it is some kind of child's nickname that doesn't translate easily into English. He doesn't answer to it anyway. :lol

tiny hada siggy.png

Tete, you are a very lucky dog to have taken a long journey and landed with a family who will take care of you and other dogs to help you understand being a pet. Hope you have a wonderful life in The United States.

Lexi (mom to Nok, the former feral black kitty)

A quick google search shows that Tete in Portuguese is the diminutive of Teresa, which is a possibility.

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

5 hours ago, HeyRunDog said:

A quick google search shows that Tete in Portuguese is the diminutive of Teresa, which is a possibility.

Yes, you are correct, but he is a male. I could understand if he was a she.  :dunno

tiny hada siggy.png

• 2 weeks later...

Well, you knew it was gonna happen. Tete is staying. Although he's made great progress in the past 4 weeks he still has a long way to go.

Usually when he it outside with the others he do his liddle wiggle waggle walkin and his tail is low. But this morning he trotted out, did his business, and then looked around. His tail WAGGED and he started running. He wasn't chasing anything either. It was one of those I feel good moments and I'm just gonna run with it. His facial expression looked like pure bliss.

Of course it probably helped that there weren't any scary outside noises. And later on in the house he got the scaredeez again. Mr Ducky comes into the living room at random and just sits on the couch and then leaves after a minute, repeating it a few times a day all while Tete watches him from a dog bed. Most of the time he stays put, but other times he jumps and runs. Today he fell back asleep.

Oddly enoug.h the name Tete has grown on me so he's not going to be Tater Tot or Turnip.

275611173_3292121734446241_2343586311024

275256864_3286750258316722_1104078534673

Edited by macoduck

tiny hada siggy.png

• macoduck changed the title to Today I am a dog Updated: ...... and I now have a home

He looks so much better, Ducky!  Congratulations to all. 

He doesn't know it yet (or maybe he does) but he has hit the jackpot! 

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Agreed with all the above! 

Tete is home :heart

Well done, Ducky (& Mr. Ducky)!

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.