Miriam of Ruckus September 30, 2007 – July 8, 2021

Annette

Miriam came to us almost exactly 10 years ago.  She came as a foster in July of 2011.  Dixie and Casey seemed to know before we did, that she was part of the family.  From day one, Dixie had "that look" about her. Casey the kitty immediately upon being released from his carrier, started grooming, licking and chewing on Miriam, who literally just walked in the house after being picked up by Roy and I to foster. And she didn't attempt to eat Casey. After visiting the person who was interested in adopting Miriam, it was determined that it was not a good fit, and the adoption did not happen.  Miriam officially became part of our family in the middle of August 2011.

To say that Miriam was shy was an understatement.  She was a full-blown spook who was afraid of us a good part of the time.  I think it took at least a couple years before she would approach Roy.  She wasn’t just afraid of men.  She was afraid of Roy’s mom and sister when we first adopted her.  When it was time for her to eat, we gave her meal in her food stand and sat “bolt still” without even a whisper.  If we would talk, whisper, or shift in our seat she would become afraid and not eat.  She was afraid of so much stuff it is hard to remember all that scared her. 

We had her for close to 2 years when she gave us our worst scare.  It was winter and around 8 or 9 degrees above zero in the middle of the night.  Miriam needed to go out, and since we have a fenced in yard, we just let her out.  Little did we know that she was so afraid of us that she had no plans of going back in the house.  I think it took almost 20 minutes to get her into the house.  I was in tears by the time she was worn out enough from her fear and the cold.  Roy was finally able to get a hold of her and bring her into the house.  We attached a 15-foot rope to her collar for the next couple years and bought her a spook harness.

We are not sure when it happened, but she blossomed into a real pet who was not afraid of new people and actually sought out attention from them.  Several years ago, we ended up moving into an apartment that faced a busy state highway at the top of a hill at the edge of town.  There is a lot of semi-truck traffic and they love to use those “Jake Brakes”.  The first time I heard them I nearly jumped out of my skin, but Miriam was not bothered by them.  Her favorite thing to do was to lay in the sun on the hottest days.  At the last GPA-WI Greyhound Gala pre-pandemic she was crowned queen of the Gala and was presented with a large, round Kirkland dog bed.  She knew she was queen and that bed was her favorite.

Five years ago she was diagnosed with Copper Storage Disease (liver disease) and she had to go on a low copper diet.  We planned on feeding her a commercial prescription diet, but the company that made and marketed the food irritated me so I consulted with a registered dietary veterinarian and I started making Miriam her own special meals.  The girl ate better than Roy and I most times.  Her internist said that Miriam had a very good chance to live a long greyhound life. 

Like most “old folks’, as Miriam aged it became difficult for her to get around.  To make things worse, she had corns which caused her to slow down more.  The last few weeks we have had to persuade her to eat her homemade diet.  She even did not eat her marshmallow dessert on one occasion.  We finally found a veterinarian locally who knew how to hull corns.  Her corns were removed this past Saturday.  One of them the vet called a cutaneous horn and it was huge.  We were sent home with tramadol for pain.  The tramadol was not cutting the pain.  On Wednesday, Roy reached down to pet her on the neck and she screamed in pain.  Off to the UW Vet School to get her help.  X-rays were taken of her spine, neck, and lungs to rule out cancer and to see if the cause of her pain could be found.  There were no definitive answers.  She was transferred to neurology yesterday afternoon and they did not like the amount of pain she was in.  They originally were going to do an MRI on her neck to see if there were any tumors.  She was on a fentanyl drip that had to be increased in strength to try and keep her pain in check.  Today, instead of doing an MRI, a fine needle aspirate was done.  It was determined that she had lymphoma and that it probably metastasized to the neck and that was most likely causing her neck pain. 

Miriam was such a wonderful girl who blossomed into a wonderful pup that amazed us every day.  She was loved by her parents and kitty brother. 

We were able to go into the clinic this afternoon and be with her when she was released from her pain.  We will miss you forever Miriam.

Annette, mom to Banjo (AJN Spider Man) & Casey (kitty), wife to Roy. Mom to bridgekids: Wheat (GH), Icabod (GH), Scarlett (Cab's Peg Bundy), Rhett (Kiowa Day Juice), Dixie (Pazzo Dixie), Pogo/Gleason (Rambunctious), and Miriam (Miriam of Ruckus) and Spooky, Taffy, Garfield, & Lefty (kitties)

I'm so sorry.  Miriam's story is awesome and shows how you and Roy were picked by her to be her forever family. 

Run pain-free Miriam. :f_pink

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

So very sorry for the loss of your Miriam. 
You gave her the perfect home and life. Remember all the good times…..

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

I'm so sorry for your loss. What a beautiful tribute to your girl, and what a perfect match you were for each other. Rest well, Miriam.

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

So wonderful that she could live a life freed from her fears.  All of our sympathy to you and your family.  I hope that gradually your good memories will bring you comfort.  

She knew she was queen and that bed was her favorite.

:) 

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

So sorry to hear of Miriam's passing and hoping all of your memories will bring some comfort. 

Fly high beautiful girl.

Wanda, with the DC Racing Kids,

Eric ( DNT Finbarclancy )  6/29/14    Maggie ( DNT Oh Maggie ) 6/29/14

Lorraine ( DC Don't Rainonme ) 3/15/08 - 4/9/20 ---  Suzie ( DC Lazy Susan ) 3/12/06 - 9/4/18 --- Stormy ( DC Major Storm ) 11/29/99 - 1/21/12 ---- Andy ( Andy's Alibi ) 1/23/99 - 12/30/11

Such a heartfelt tribute, how well you knew your beautiful girl. Miriam landed right where she was meant to be, no one could have loved her more than you and Roy. Hold tight to those memories, let them help you heal, and be open to the sign(s) you are sure to receive. I am so sorry for your loss.

:grouphug

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

I do hate cancer.  It is the thief who robs us, every day, of those we love.  I am so sorry for your loss.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

she was such a special girl and I'm so glad I was able to meet her :grouphug  sending you and Roy many hugs.

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

I'm so sorry. You gave her the time and support she needed to become a confident dog and extraordinary care when her medical needs surfaced. She was incredibly fortunate. She did live a good while for a Greyhound, but it's never long enough. I'm sorry that you were unable to be with her when she left.

Godspeed Miriam.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

I'm so sorry for your loss. Your tribute speaks volumes about love as it is so beautifully written.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

I want to thank everyone for the kind thoughts and condolences.  

It is so strange here.  We had Miriam for 10 years.  Today was the first Saturday that we slept late with no puppy interruptions for us to get up.  Her queen bed is still in the livingroom where Casey kitty now lies on it from time to time.  

Her ashes came home today.

Miriam4.jpg.dc6a8613cc24f106456e8ef94669c2b7.jpg1136259859_MiriamCouch4.jpg.fcf211787ffb4a936c3f05e7b4b78125.jpg

Annette, mom to Banjo (AJN Spider Man) & Casey (kitty), wife to Roy. Mom to bridgekids: Wheat (GH), Icabod (GH), Scarlett (Cab's Peg Bundy), Rhett (Kiowa Day Juice), Dixie (Pazzo Dixie), Pogo/Gleason (Rambunctious), and Miriam (Miriam of Ruckus) and Spooky, Taffy, Garfield, & Lefty (kitties)