Great International Houndie Handoff

greysmom

Today's the day!

Eight years ago I woke up extra early, got ready and jumped in the car in Portland OR to make the 7 hour drive to the Canadian border town of Blaine WA.  There to meet up with Jennie (jenners) and Deb and John (djsgreys) to accept delivery of two very special greyhounds!

It had been a hard year for us.  We'd lost two dogs within a week of each other - Dorie to PLE after we hadn't had her a year, and Dude our very special heart dog to osteo.  Yes, we still had three dogs at home, but it was too quiet for us and the energy wasn't quite right.  So, after days of searching the internet, I found this guy on the website of Northern Greyhound Adoptions.

25053111328_52329a1bca_z.jpgwhiskey 3 by Chris Harper, on Flickr

KTs Phys Ed - called Whiskey in the kennel.  And our precious Dude's half brother.  

He wasn't doing well in the kennel anmd didn't "show" well to prosepctive adopters, so he'd languished there for several months.  Another GTer, Donna (chilidog), was on their Board and she negotiated a way for them to adopt this dog all the way across the country to us.  Since I didn't have a Passport I couldn't go to Canada to pick him up!  :rolleyes:  Deb and John, who have tons of experience flying with dogs, agreed to transport him for us, as they were coming to BC with dogs anyway.  YEAH!!!!  All worked out, tickets bought, plans made - awesome!!

Then I get an email from Deb.  "I can bring two as easily as one!"

38209363274_8a1cb5d551_z.jpgIMG_0311 by Chris Harper, on Flickr

:yikes

We'd wanted a puppy for while, but were resigned to never having access to one.  This was a litter Deb was helping to home from an oops breeding of two greyhounds being used as coyote hunters on a big farm in Alberta, Canada.  There were 15 puppies in the litter!  And these were the last four unadopted.

Well, after about 20 minutes of frantic calling between DH and I, we said YES!!  We picked out one little female, and named her Lilly (she's the one on the right here)

38209362314_08cf28f639_z.jpg2 girls by Chris Harper, on Flickr

So the day came.  They drive was long, but I didn't mind.  I got there in time to say Hello! to Jennie, and jump in her car to meet up with Deb and John who's plane had just landed in Vancouver BC, right across the border 5 minutes away!

Here's Jennie in front of the Peace Arch border crossing, with Deb and John in the back.  Yes, they just walked across the border with two dogs and some bags.  We expected the border patrol to show up at any minute to put the kabosh on the whole thing!!!

27139996419_6e31d29b57_z.jpgPeace Arch by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Meeting Lilly for the first time!

38916463511_b887a53045_z.jpgPeace Arch 4 by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Greeting Whiskey.

38030391955_d1723e0c09_z.jpgPeace Arch 8 by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Family picture

38916460041_b107eee3d7_z.jpgPeace Arch 9 by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Then we jumped back in Jennie's car and went back to her house (Deb and John finished their mission in BC!)

She was so kind to open her home to two newly adopted dogs - including a puppy!!! - and one tired human!!  And further, stayed up all night monitoring the new charges so I could get some sleep for the drive back to Portland the next day!  During that first night Whiskey really showed his true nature.  He bacame Lilly's Nanny, and I really don't know how we would have done the whole puppy raisiing thing without him!  He was so patient!  And they would play and play together for hours, relieving us and the other adult dogs in our house of some puppy energy!!

24052269247_0e601d9bfd_z.jpgWhiskey and Miss Jenn 1 by Chris Harper, on Flickr

38201232094_05ef74fe77_z.jpgL&W with Miss Jenn 1 by Chris Harper, on Flickr

38201235044_4d95b325b3_z.jpgL&W 1 by Chris Harper, on Flickr

27140009769_230678f592_z.jpgL&W 2 by Chris Harper, on Flickr

The next morning we loaded up and headed home.

38916456741_b1f12963e0_z.jpgTrip Home Whiskey by Chris Harper, on Flickr

38916457651_07967f2dd3_z.jpgTrip Home Lilly by Chris Harper, on Flickr

The view from Jennie's deck!  You can see Canada from there!

38030397875_ffb58e829f_w.jpgPanoramic View from Deck by Chris Harper, on Flickr

It was a grand adventure and I had so much fun!!  I will never be able to thank every one involved enough from allowing us this opportunity!!  It really is one of the best things I've ever been a part of!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Seems like yesterday.  I'm getting old......

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

I love that story.  And, while Whiskey will always have a place in my heart, you know I have a big ol’ crush onLilly. :heart 

Now, for the Christmas Tree Stand of Death story. :snowman

gallery_27202_3534_9390.jpg

Momma to Jupiter.  Mummy to my Bridge Angels, Mercury and Liberty, the world's best blackngreylabhound

I remember this so well. I’ve had the opportunity to meet John and Deb at a greyhound event, so I’m not surprised they delivered. :D

Edited by greytpups

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

4 hours ago, Time4ANap said:

Seems like yesterday.  I'm getting old......

:lol This!

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M, Ebbie, HollyBeeBop (Betty Crocker).

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Wow. I am telling Kevin the story!  Seems like yesterday. We were all following on pins and needles. 

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

This story is a GT classic. :)

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

I can’t believe it’s been 8 years!  I love this story and it is so amazing that it all worked perfectly!

gallery_22163_3545_11448.jpg

Humans Kathy and Jim with our girls, Ivy (Carolina Spoon) and Cherry (Fly Cherry Pie)

Missing our beautiful angel Breeze (Dighton Breeze) and angel Beka (BM Beko) - you are forever in our hearts.

4 hours ago, Jerilyn said:

This is my favorite story, but it's bittersweet this year. 

Missing Whiskey :beatheart :cry1

:weep

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Thanks for sharing again.  Where does the time go?!

Whiskey and Nigel arrived in Vermont on the same haul and were at the kennel when I picked up sweet Ruby...

Darn...my eyes just got a little leaky :mellow:

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

I can't believe it's been 8 years...and I love hearing the story each year! :wub: 

Kendra, devoted walker of Henry (Tom Jones: Great Son x Lucia)

Missing Badger (Vf Get R Done: Quicksand Slip x Ll Tee el See), 5/04 - 2/14, who opened our hearts and our home to greyhounds; Kenzie (Slatex Kenzie: Randy Handy x Slatex Chrisy), 4/03 - 10/14, who really knew what a good dog she was; Falcon (Atascocita Sabat: Dodgem by Design x Atascocita Barb), 9/10 - 1/20, who was grumpy and snarky but eventually a little bit cuddly, too; Grandpa Grey the Galgo Español, 2008 (?) to 2022, who made us feel lucky to be the ones to teach him about pet life; and Lucia (Larking About x Anastasia, 5/12 to 8/23), our first brood matron and the sweetest speckly girl. 

One of the most seriously wonderful nights of my life, staying up with Whiskey and Lilly, watching them calm and settle and bond, meeting Chris and Deb and John ... I'll always remember it. I sure do miss Whiskey :wub:

Miss Jennie, still up on the border

large.Luna-siggy2.jpg.680c6a7875af13e962feb80ca4d0cfb7.jpg

Jennie with her hedgehogs and Guinea pigs, and remembering Luna, Queen of the Piggies

I always love this story, and had forgotten some of the details. Like Whiskey being Dude's half brother!  And he and Nigel coming to Vermont on the same haul!

What a wonderful group GT'ers are.

We miss you Whiskey.:heart

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown