Please Let Me Vent (Cry) To You Greyhound Lovers. We Might Lose Ours S

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I lost two to internal bleeding. It was suspected hemangiosarcoma of the spleen. I didn't want to say this yesterday as to discourage you from hoping that it would be something else. If it is any comfort to you; you can set your dog from pain and give him rest. Keep him in your heart forever.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

I think this is his time, let him go with that last act of loving kindness. We promise them we will never let them suffer when there is no realistic hope of a good recovery and we never, ever let them down. :bighug

I believe it was hemangiosarcoma...the oncologist said it probably started in the spleen and had already spread to the spine and heart. He already had damage to other parts of his body as well, from blood clots blocking blood flow and oxygen. The main tumor that was causing all the bleeding was surround his aorta, so they said his chances of surviving the surgery is close to 0%. We could tell he was not doing well. We made the decision to put him down this morning. We stayed with him the entire time. It's the hardest thing I've ever had to do. I don't know when or if I will ever stop crying.

Thank you all for your kind words.

It's sounds like hemangiosarcoma. I've lost 3 to that horrible disease.

I'm so sorry.

That was my thought too. We lost our Celeste to this last year. Our vet told us to say goodbye. I think you should too. Im so sorry.

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

Never doubt that you made the right decision. You gave him a wonderful life and let him leave with his dignity and with his favorite people supporting and comforting him. I've had to let several dogs and cats go and I will tell you that it always hurts horribly. They are always there in a corner of your heart. The sadness will stay with you, but in time it will be moderated by the good memories you have of their life.

So sorry for your loss. Sending hugs.

Annette, mom to Banjo (AJN Spider Man) & Casey (kitty), wife to Roy. Mom to bridgekids: Wheat (GH), Icabod (GH), Scarlett (Cab's Peg Bundy), Rhett (Kiowa Day Juice), Dixie (Pazzo Dixie), Pogo/Gleason (Rambunctious), and Miriam (Miriam of Ruckus) and Spooky, Taffy, Garfield, & Lefty (kitties)

I'm so sorry. Let yourself cry and grieve -- he deserves that. Grief keeps them close a little while longer.

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Mover had such a wonderful life with you, you should take great comfort in that. You did right by your boy. The greyhound community is the best, take your time to grieve and reach out as often and whenever you need to. On FB there is also a Greyhound Grief Support page that may also bring some comfort.

Our hearts are with you.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

I will add Mover's name to the list of Bridge Angels in the Remembrance section here. He is now in good company. I'm sorry he had to leave you.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Im so sorry. You did the right thing for Mover.

We had to put our 11 year old greyhound down due to cancer shortly after our DD came home from the NICU. It was really awful during what should have been a joyous time for our family.

Rebecca
with Atlas the borzoi, Luna the pyr, and Madison the cat, always missing Sahara(Flyin Tara Lyn) and Coltrane(Blue on By) the greyhounds

I’m so sorry for your loss. It’s never an easy decision to make and always breaks your heart.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

So sorry for the tragic loss of your Mover. Those tears are healing-tears that ultimately comfort us and help mend our broken hearts when we have lost a loved one. The happy memories of your life shared will return sooner than you think. Thank God we have vets so that our hounds don't have to suffer...

:f_white

Edited by JohnF

I'm so very sorry that the news was not better. As hard as it was, you made the right decision for him.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

I’m so sorry for your loss of Mover. You gave him the only loving option and that was to ease his pain even though it was so painful for you.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

I'm so sorry for your loss of Mover. This thread was just heartbreaking to read, but I was so touched to see the huge outpouring of comfort and advice and "I've been there"s from all the members. Thank you to all of you for her support.

So sorry again for your loss :(

Alyse with Archer (KB's Harper)