Returning Our Greyhound

Guest SohoMercer

Guest SohoMercer

Tomorrow morning We will be returning our greyhound to the adoption group.

Its almost 5 am and I can't sleep because it's killing me. We will be sort of ok but will he?

We tried and tried to work with him but he's only getting worse, see he has these episodes when we try to walk him here in the city. He goes crazy, jumps, bites his tongue, foams at the mouth and even knocked a lady down. He won't pee or poo and pulls like a train. Getting him out the house is insane. I have tried at all hours of the night and nothing. Tried talking to him, quality treats that he loves, gentle leader collar, harnesses from different places and still nothing. He got better at first and then he just started declining real bad. The vet prescribed Prozac but i just can't come to drug him because I want him to live in the busiest city.

At home he's amazing which is why it hurts even more. He loves us. He likes us to lay on his bed with him, that's his fave thing. He even gets along with our cats perfectly. He learned "paw" and is the most excited dog when I come home from work.

What kills me is that when i take him for a walk and coen home while he's panting loud enough for the entire building to hear he looks at me with the I'm sorry eyes. At this point I am ready to just keep using wee wee pads and never walk him but that's probably not right. He needs to be in the suburbs with a backyard and a great family. My biggest concern is that he will get depressed like a human would but i am not very educated when it comes to that part of dogs. Also i would be happier if i was handing him off to a family but he's going back to a kennel. The next few hours are going to be horrible

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:grouphug. I'm so sorry but it sounds like he might be happier as a suburban dog with a fence and possibly a dog door. There's a huge difference. I've had dogs in downtown Chicago and rural East Texas. Every dog is not the right match and there should be no shame in admitting it isn't...in yours and the dogs best interest. When I ran the rescue I took back a dog because "it wouldn't play with the kid" He went on to live a long happy life with a retired couple.I prozaced a hard core resue heavily and it didn't work. But whatta I know? I'm just the only one up at 3:45 a.m. :blush

Edited by Hubcitypam
gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

My heart goes out to you both. Such a horrid decision to have to take but like Hubcitypam I believe it is the right one. You have tried so hard but at the end of the day city life is always going to be too stressful for him. He will be happier in a quieter place.

Clare with Tiger (Snapper Gar, b. 18/05/2015), and remembering Ken (Boomtown Ken, 01/05/2011-21/02/2020) and Doc (Barefoot Doctor, 20/08/2001-15/04/2015).

"It is also to be noted of every species, that the handsomest of each move best ... and beasts of the most elegant form, always excel in speed; of this, the horse and greyhound are beautiful examples."----Wiliam Hogarth, The Analysis of Beauty, 1753.

I'm sorry you are going through this. That's one of the perks of working with a good rescue. They know not every dog is a fit for every house. He will be safe, find his perfect home, and hopefully you can keep in touch with his new owners!

Please don't be afraid to try again. The right confident pup is out there for you!

------

Jessica

I'm sorry, but it sounds like you're making the right choice for your hound. There are people that have greyhounds in NYC and they do well. It sounds like yours would rather live in the suburbs. Thank you for putting your dogs needs first. I hope you'll consider trying again.

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

Big hugs. So hard when you fall in love but something is just not right :( .

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

one can't say you didn't try. to me it sounds like a bad match and you are not to blame. possibly an older dog- 4 or so will work. a steady even keeled dog who is not phased by crowds, sirens, traffic and noise. there are dogs out there. don't beat yourself up, your doing the best thing for your dog. it was a miss-match and that's all. keep on looking, you know you need a "bomb proof" greyhound and there are plenty out there, you just didn't get one.

my frist greyhound was quite, but self assured. the very first time i took her to the 25th st flea market i only had her a couple of weeks. she curbed herself, wasn't phased crossing 6th ave and acted as if she grew up in the city. you need something like that- she was a trooper, but not in your face and a wise dog. she was 4.5 years old when we got her after 168 races and being hauled to tracks all over the country. they are out there!

best of luck!

Guest SohoMercer

Thank you everyone. We are at the adoption place, and at first it was easy (these guys are amazing btw) we took Mercer out the car and he was the happiest dog ever! He was finally home. He jumped on all the staff was excited. After we walked some more dogs couple hrs later we bumped into mercer in his kennel and he Immediately got up and started barking and sort kf crying you can tell he was heartbroken. We couldn't help but cry really bad. Sucks

Thank you for putting the welfare of your hound first. He just wasn't the one for you. Of course he will always love you but he will also love and be far better off and happier in his 'right' place. Please try again-you won't regret it. I know YOUR special houndie is looking for you! In fact your current houndie and your future houndie may be colluding to see that each winds up where they are supposed to be. Fairy tales like that DO happen. They really do. Its part of the magic of greyhounds. God bless you!

Guest SohoMercer

Thank you Racindog, you know i have been working in health care for many years and i have lost patients to terminal illnesses who i saw as family but for some reason i never felt like this. We are going to keep trying, greyhounds is the only breed for me

Have never had a dog such as you describe. Can only imagine how sad & stressful this has been for you. Am very sorry things did not work out. You did the right thing.

Your boy will be okay at the kennels until the right home comes along. He'll miss you but he will recover. My first Greyhound would have been fine as a city, suburb or country dog, but to the end of her life I knew that she would have felt most at home in a well run kennel. She was just that type of dog. My current two Greyhounds would not enjoy going back to kennels but, having fostered & adopted many dogs who had been returned, I know they would be okay in the end.

I am sorry, sometimes the best decision is the hardest one to make. I have an extremely timid rescue (non-grey) who reacts just like your guy when walked on any city street (tail tucked, crouched and darting around). I am lucky that I can take her on quiet nature trails and it is her favourite thing in the world (tail up, wagging, bouncing around). She is a different dog. I guess my point is that some dogs will be completely different in a new and more suitable environment Now that your adoption group knows his history, he should be placed in a "better fit" home and location. Dogs are adaptable to change, it will be tough on you all in the beginning, but in the end things will be for the best and he will be happy too.

It's a hard, hard thing, but you put his needs first, and that's what was the right thing to do. He will be fine, and so will you. Really.

If you think of yourself as his "foster" home for a few weeks, then you may be able to feel better about your decision. Now that the adoption group knows his personality better, they can find him a place where he will thrive. And hopefully they can find you one as well.

I've had three of the eight greyhounds we've adopted who are *great* city dogs. The others, not so much. They are out there and you can have one! Be patient!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

It must have been so very difficult for you to make this decision, but it sounds like you made the best choice for the dog. He just wasn't the right fit for you and that is something you can't always know ahead of time. He will be fine at the kennel, and as a dog who has proven he can live with cats, it won't be long before he finds the right home. I am glad you are going to adopt again, you have shown yourself to be a good greyhound parent :)

You have my utmost respect and the respect of many here for making one of the most difficult decisions in life. You are doing what's right for your dog.

Your group will find you a "city dog" who can handle the big city like a pro. This dog obviously isn't in the right place. He will be just fine. I know several re-homed greys and these dogs are so flexible that it's amazing. They are used to moving around from track to track or farm to track to farm etc. They go with the flow.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Guest MnMDogs

I've been following your post in training and behavior, and I was (and still am) so impressed with how hard you tried with him. you made such a hard decision for him, and you.

Now that the adoption group knows his personality better, they can find him a place where he will thrive. And hopefully they can find you one as well.

:nod

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Having had greyhounds since 1998, and I did work in NYC, there were greyhounds that I would see from the bus being walked in lower Manhattan. Sometimes I met them in the street, and the owners always said they were fine in the busy environment. I know you tried with your boy, but maybe he was too sensitive. There is and are greyhounds out there who can function in the urban environment. I know you will find one. Good luck.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest SohoMercer

We really appreciate the response from you guys, made us feel much better again thank you thank you thank you.

As I am at the adoption office writing an essay description for Mercer so the new owners have something a bit more accurate of him, a call comes in to the coordinator that they have a Red Brindle (when i was very little the first dog i fell in love with was a brindle so he had to be brindle!) 4 yr old Male who is excellent with cats and was fostered in a very busy city. The Greyt Gods must have been there today i tell ya, I completely lost it lol

So they go get him and in comes this GORGEOUS dark red dog, who's description said "raced 6 times, not into toys prefers human interaction gets along with other pets and will give you many kisses a day" !!

Took him to their dog run he ran had fun and often came back for pets and kisses and ran back. Listen i am a grown man who has been nothing but crying all day lol emotional in all ways today lol

So they bathed him, he jumped in the car and off we went. It's a 3 hour drive so we made a few stops. So the ultimate test, we get into Manhattan, our street is closed in the summer and tourists are everywhere. Hundreds of ppl walking around little Italy, getting into my apartment is a mission but it's ok.

He walked like a dream, this Grey was made for us. His tale was wagging, he's socializing and walking as if he was born where I live. He met the cats with a proper introduction as i learned from the books, he had no interest, will def keep an eye and follow protocol eitheway He did mark his territory at home in a few places but after what we have been through this is ok we will correct that!

I don't know what to say it's been a hell of a ride. i asked my girlfriend to pinch me. We also asked to be involved in whos adopting Mercer. I want him to go in to an excellent home.

Today I am so thankful.

My GF and I are very thankful to you guys also thank you

Edited by SohoMercer

I am so sorry this did not work out but he will find the right home in a quieter enviroment. The right dog is out there, please don't give up on greyhounds. My boy Carter would not be a good city dog but my Luka would be fine.

Hugs,

Jan, Luka and Carter

I came here to give you a :bighug but now I see that you also need a :yay

Congrats on the new addition...we need pics!

:goodluck to Mercer....

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg