Returning Our Greyhound

Guest SohoMercer

I have to give you a huge amount of credit for knowing that Mercer wasn't the right fit and for doing what was best for all of you. That said, I am also super happy that Wayne happened into your life at just the right moment. Congratulations to you all!

Laura, mom to Luna (Boc's Duchess) and Nova (Atascocita Venus).
Forever in my heart, Phantom (Tequila Nights) and Zippy (Iruska Monte).

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wayne is beautiful!! Congrats on finding the right fit for your world.

gallery_4518_2903_10272.jpg
Donna and...Lucy and Chubb
Rascal H 10/1/91-5/22/04 My best friend and Bounty Boon 1/23/99-6/25/07 My boy with the biggest heart
Cody 7/28/99-8/1/13 My boy that always made me laugh and Dylan 5/12/04-12/29/2017 The sweetest boy ever

Miss Mollie 1/1/99-1/30/15 and Pixie :heart:heart-10/10/2017 Lincoln :heart-2/14/2021

Guest SohoMercer

Thanks everyone, today went on a walk around the city since it was nice and breezy. Then to the dog run where he behaved so much. A quick lets go boy and he came running ready for the leash. I couldn't be happier. One thing i did notice is that owning a Greyhound is like walking with a celebrity ppl go crazy for them and take pictures. We gravitated towards the quiet streets because it can be stressful.

YEA!! Wayne sounds like the right choice for you. Here's to years of happiness.

PS As a short term training aid, you might consider using a belly band indoors. It helps protect your home from marking & as a consequence reduces the chances of repeat marking. I've not had to use with with any of my Greys, but I don't live in an apartment either.

Thank you they actually provided us with a belly band and it does wonders!

Guest SohoMercer
This other Grey belong to my brother in law they get along great. Ppl often wonder if is a mix/lurcher. He just adopted him recently also.
Full_Size_Render_1.jpg
Full_Size_Render_2.jpg
Full_Size_Render_3.jpg

You are amazing. Your decision was the best for all.

You will find the right match.

Which group was he returned to?

NGAP in Pennsylvania. Thank you for your kind words maybe one day we can visit I often come to East Hanover.

Major cheers for you, your GF, and Wayne! :pepper We have a red brindle big boy from NGAP too, and he did fantastic while we were living DC. Get used to walking a celebrity - that won't change! Thank you for everything that you did with Mercer. He'll find his perfect home, and he'll be better for it having spent time with you. We also recommend the belly band for initial marking. Our guy has never done it anywhere we've lived with him, but he has been known to 'redecorate' in a new place if he sees an unfamiliar dog, and the belly band helps break the habit and let you teach the difference between 'inside' and 'outside'. Best wishes for many adventures ahead!

Hi SohoMercer,

I am a New Yorker too, I have two greyhounds and had been a greyhound owner for the past 21 years (adopted my first two greyhounds in 1995). Yes some are just not suited for city living, but as a "veteran" greyhound owner and a NYC person, (I am currently in Williamsburg, which is pretty insane as I am sure you know!) and my two boys are perfectly well adjusted. What group did you adopt from? If you want to reach out to me in private, let me know and I will send you my contact info. Don't let this one bad experience ruin it for you! These are awesome dogs who can do perfectly well here in our crazy busy city!

Guest Sportingfields

it is NEVER a shame to admit when it's not the right fit. What you did is the RIGHT thing. Mercer will find his perfect home. And sounds like Wayne found HIS perfect home.

Ditto

Congrats to you and also 4 paws up to a fantastic adoption group that was willing to work with you.

Guest SohoMercer

Major cheers for you, your GF, and Wayne! :pepper We have a red brindle big boy from NGAP too, and he did fantastic while we were living DC. Get used to walking a celebrity - that won't change! Thank you for everything that you did with Mercer. He'll find his perfect home, and he'll be better for it having spent time with you. We also recommend the belly band for initial marking. Our guy has never done it anywhere we've lived with him, but he has been known to 'redecorate' in a new place if he sees an unfamiliar dog, and the belly band helps break the habit and let you teach the difference between 'inside' and 'outside'. Best wishes for many adventures ahead!

The belly band he came with is already working! Wait are you the couple who drove from DC Bobbie was telling us about? She said you're coming from far? i have a couple who came from DC! lol any pics of your boy?!

Hi SohoMercer,

I am a New Yorker too, I have two greyhounds and had been a greyhound owner for the past 21 years (adopted my first two greyhounds in 1995). Yes some are just not suited for city living, but as a "veteran" greyhound owner and a NYC person, (I am currently in Williamsburg, which is pretty insane as I am sure you know!) and my two boys are perfectly well adjusted. What group did you adopt from? If you want to reach out to me in private, let me know and I will send you my contact info. Don't let this one bad experience ruin it for you! These are awesome dogs who can do perfectly well here in our crazy busy city!

Hello! We got him from NGAP in Pennsylvania, but we did get another one already from them. He is amazing. He lovessss Ppl and has been very gentle around the cats and small dogs at the park. Today while playing at the dog run he often came back for kisses once he saw me lol big change. I am very close to Williamsburg if you ever want to meet. not sure how to contact privately but I am isurrf at gmail

Ditto

Congrats to you and also 4 paws up to a fantastic adoption group that was willing to work with you.

thank you, very amazing group. They have been reaching out 2 times a day since sunday to make sure everything is going smooth

Hey SohoMercer,

Awesome that you adopted another one! Would love to meet up for a playdate. There are a few of us in the Williamsburg and downtown area and we plan on a group walk or playdate now that it's not so hot anymore. I am at innak118@hotmail.com

The belly band he came with is already working! Wait are you the couple who drove from DC Bobbie was telling us about? She said you're coming from far? i have a couple who came from DC! lol any pics of your boy?!

Excellent! They're such quick learners, and you probably won't need the band except as an occasional reminder for new places soon. We're not that couple, at least this time! Our guy is "Teddy" from 2012 on the NGAP site. He's now Starvin' Q. Marvin :bgeorge

I love Wayne's markings. Marvin has more red, his black is asymmetric, and he's going gray in the face quickly (he's 7). He's as bombproof as they come, living in a tiny city apartment to a house with a yard and everywhere in between. I can't wait to follow Wayne's adventures in the big city! There's nothing better than finding the right hound for your pack.

13221453_10104608030451888_4570330538947

Guest xengab

Glad it is working for you. I'm sure the right family is out there for Mercer too, but at least you showed him some love, and let him see what living in a home can be like. There will be a couple out there thanking you each night for the training you did with Mercer, as he just fits in like Wayne has with you.

Guest KarenD

one can't say you didn't try. to me it sounds like a bad match and you are not to blame. possibly an older dog- 4 or so will work. a steady even keeled dog who is not phased by crowds, sirens, traffic and noise. there are dogs out there. don't beat yourself up, your doing the best thing for your dog. it was a miss-match and that's all. keep on looking, you know you need a "bomb proof" greyhound and there are plenty out there, you just didn't get one.

my frist greyhound was quite, but self assured. the very first time i took her to the 25th st flea market i only had her a couple of weeks. she curbed herself, wasn't phased crossing 6th ave and acted as if she grew up in the city. you need something like that- she was a trooper, but not in your face and a wise dog. she was 4.5 years old when we got her after 168 races and being hauled to tracks all over the country. they are out there!

best of luck!

You've said it all here. Sometimes, like people, it just not the right fit. No fault of anyone. Hoping a future happy home.

Congreytulations on Wayne! Sounds like he will enjoy being a celebrity.

We also asked to be involved in whos adopting Mercer. I want him to go in to an excellent home.

I have been the second adopter of most of my greyhounds, and it would have made me uncomfortable to have had the earlier adopters involved in my own process. Like I was having to be judged twice. You gave Mercer experience in being a pet in a loving home. You provided valuable information to your adoption group to help Mercer get the best home fit. You like the people at your adoption group. Trust them to do a good job finding him that excellent home. Maybe ask that the new adopter be given your name/contact info in case they do want to contact you?

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Guest Sportingfields

Please listen to what Ellen said. Trust your group to do right by Mercer, they've already proved their commitment by first trying to help you, then helping you find another grey that is a better fit. As a former foster home of over 50 Greyhounds I'm here to tell you, how he acted in your home will most likely be 180 degrees different as to how he'll act in another home. And as an adoptive person myself, I'd not want Anyone to look over my shoulder either. Let it go, hard as it may be, at most ask the group to give you an update or two, once he is placed. Don't ask to correspond unless the new adopter wants to, they'll put the request out to the group. Enjoy your new addition let Mercer go , he'll be fine and move on, it's best for all of you.

ETA it is possible that you may meet up at a group doing, in which case, definitely introduce yourself and have a lovely chat. Mercer may recognize you. What should make you happy is once the greeting is over, he'll be happy to return to his people. At least this is how it 'always' was with my former fosters and it made me happy and proud to see them so content with their new humans.

Edited by Sportingfields

• 2 years later...

I am in tears reading your post. I am in the UK, in the same situation. We have gone through a similar experience with our beautiful boy, a 4 year old ex-racer, who has been with us for only a month but increasingly become reactive to our son (13) and his aggression is escalating... our hearts are broken. Your words, and the replies, resonate deeply. It is the hardest decision to make, and I feel as though we have failed him. He deserves a beautiful life and I know that our Dogs Trust rehoming centre will match him with someone, but I am raw with grief. Sending love and empathy 3 years after your post, and thanks for being there with such compassion and love. xxxx