Spud (Spud Onapaw) 7/24/2001-4/11-2016

ivon

Spud was my first Greyhound, and as of now, he is my last one.....We adopted him in June 2003, just shy of his second birthday, and boy, was he a handful. He had never been in a car, or a house, he was scared of the TV, terrified of stairs, he had sleep and space aggression, and he didn't like it at all when another dog wanted to run. Spud was very food motivated however, so much so, that the second day home he ran head first into the pantry door, the first command I taught him was "wait". He'd growl when the kids scooted a bit too close to his dog bed, and snarked at anyone, human or hound, for walking too close by when he was lying down. When he wanted a specific dog bed, and his sister was on it, he would go rustle around the trash, until I got up to investigate, and she came along, that's when he ran back to grab the bed he wanted, though we sometimes thought he wasn't the brightest knife in the drawer, those kinds of incidents taught us better.

His race records show he was terrible at it, and we soon learned why, if something caught his attention mid walk, he would stop and stare, he never knew where exactly his feet were at any time, he would look behind him while walking and walk right into a door frame, just walking around the backyard he managed to poke holes into his thin skin, ever.single.day.

Not only was he super house broken from the start, but if he was to have an accident, he would head for an easy to clean surface, away from carpet, I did appreciate that part. But for everything else, I was very tempted to take him back to Greyhound Friends of NC, very.

Over time, he came around, by the time I adopted the second brood mama, he was no longer weird about his space, and she was allowed to run with him, he could be petted while on his bed, he figured out how to get in and out of the car, and he graciously welcomed his Great Pyrenees sister in 2011. But, he was getting old, and slowed down, and I never, ever thought he would live this long, there was not anything specific wrong with him in the end, sure, he had to be on Xanax for anxiety, he obviously had dementia, he was deaf, but he still enjoyed barking at the neighbors dog and chasing up and down the fence, he had trouble standing, or walking, but he could run until the last day. But, when he lost interest in messing with the dog next door, and was restless, yet wonky on his wobbly legs, I could see it in his face and his eyes, he was tired, and he was done, and I thought it kinder to let him go, before he was in serious trouble, before he would have to endure pain or greater anxiety. The only thing he still enjoyed was food, so I fed him his food and a banana and an extra Xanax, got him a cheeseburger for his last car trip, and fed him treats until the vet came in.

And now, I am getting used to the easy live with only one dog, who has no special needs whatsoever.......Instead of being sad, I am relieved that my Spuddy-Wuddy, the Spudster, no longer has to fight against his failing body and mind. But it still is weird, and the house is so much bigger without the extra throw rugs on the hardwood, and the pee pads on the carpet, and all his dog beds...

spud_karma_sig.jpgmed_gallery_2551_3357_5098.jpg

Ivon, Spud, Karma & Sasha

Missing Darla (05-22-96 03-01-2010)

I'm so sorry for your loss. Your boy sounds like quite a character, and your tribute to him made me laugh and tear up at the same time. Rest well, Spud.

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

So sorry for the loss of your dearest one.

Godspeed, Spud.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Spud was surely meant to be with you. What a lovely, quirky old man he was. I'm so sorry for your loss.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

He sounds like he was a wonderful young and old man. I am so sorry he had to leave. :grouphug

Katy....Mom to Retired Racers Hinder, John Carter, Hobsen, and Kodama, Galgo Espanol Gichin, and the Village Idiot...Teko
Missing terribly my fawn dog with the pretty ears Chance (Ale Seeyoulater) 6/21/05-6/23/15 Gotcha day 4/6/08 and my fuzzy baby boy Snacker (Tyville Snacker) 7/4/04-10/23/15, and all three of my IG babies, Isen, Tien, and Java.

What a great guy he was, with one of the best greyhound names ever. I am so very sorry for your loss.

Godspeed Spud.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

I'm so very sorry. He was a special character--it's no wonder you miss him.

Godspeed Spud.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

I am so very sorry for your loss. :(

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

I am sorry you had to say goodbye. You gave Spud a wonderful life and he is now smiling down at you from across the bridge.

Run free Spud, run free sweetie...:gh_run

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

So sorry you had to say goodbye to Spud....but good for you to make that decision 'a day too early'.

Remember the good times....

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Spud...........I had a boy like that, too. The bane of my existence. Trouble with that boy every single day.

But isn't it strange how once they are gone, there is the biggest durn hole.......and you miss him, oh how you miss him.

Happy Trails, Spud. May your life in heaven be just as quirky & special as it was on this earth.

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.

Thanks All, I feel so guilty for not feeling terrible, but he has been an "old dog" for so long, I mostly feel relieved, and it is weird to only have one (easy) dog now, and not a "special" setup around the house, involving random throw rugs and pee pads, and most of all, being able to sleep through the night, for the first time in years. Picked up his ashes today....so my boy is home, and I, I don't have to worry about him, or what kind of disaster I may come home to.

spud_karma_sig.jpgmed_gallery_2551_3357_5098.jpg

Ivon, Spud, Karma & Sasha

Missing Darla (05-22-96 03-01-2010)

Don't feel guilty -- you had a long time to say goodbye to him. Run with the wind, Spudster. No worries anymore.

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

It's hard to be a caretaker, not just dealing with your pup's pain, but with the reality of sleepless nights, accidents, and rearranging everything around what your dog needs. Zola's passing has been so hard to take, but only having one pretty easy dog with no geriatric needs has honestly made life a lot easier. And I feel guilty even typing that. But I shouldn't, and neither should you. Cherish the happier memories. They are a gift. f_yellow

Edited by vsrenard

Missing Zola, my hero and my heart; and Brin, my baby dog, my wisp of love.