Willa has osteo [Update: amp 8/1]

various deli meats, chicken breasts, ground beef, baby food, and coconut water, all of which I'm sure he'll be glad to sample. This is going to be interesting with a second dog around.

This brought back memories of trying to stuff food into Jeter while surrounded by two drooling hyenas,* who would rush in and snatch the morsel right out of Jeter's mouth unless I beat them back.  I had to shut them up in a bedroom.  

Sounds like Willa had a refreshing nosh and is now resting and gathering up energy for her next exciting adventure.  Hope her 'rents can get some rest, too.  

* changing hyena metaphor to African painted dogs, which evidently have an 80% hunting success rate

Edited by EllenEveBaz

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tonight's update:

Willa is eating well and seems comfortable unless she needs to potty, when she gets anxious. Shades of Sweep. John's having to carry her some, and that's hard to figure out without bothering her incision. But overall she's calm and quiet and I'm so pleased she's eating, which makes meds much, much easier.

Our sweet Richard, who always did things his own way, left us suddenly about two hours ago. I assume a clot or something else related to the fibrosarcoma. He'd been eating some of Willa's chicken a few minutes earlier, so I'm glad he got some spoiling in his final moments, even if we didn't realize it. He did us a favor by sparing us that decision in the midst of all this other chaos, but we are so sad our cuddly boy is gone. 

Needless to say, we're having large adult beverages now.

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

It’s still so very soon post-proc, you and John and Willa are still figuring out logistics, and you will. That she’s eating and drinking already is huge! You’re home in your own bed, Willa, we’re so happy for you. :heart

I am so sorry about Richard. What a thoughtful fellow to spare you having to make the decision but really, today? Rest well, sweet boy. 

🍷 :grouphug

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Willa--> She's doing amazingly well. She'll soon be over the stress about pottying. Eating and drinking can be harder to fix and she's already okay there.

Doolin--> He too will soon relax, especially if he gets tasty treats. :) 

Richard--> I'm so sorry that he had to leave. It's great that he had a tasty treat first. I hope he slipped away easily and quietly. Godspeed Richard.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

I'm so sorry about Richard. He definitely did things his own way. 

Adult beverages are definitely called for today. 

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

A few whines/cries overnight but she settled with some snuggles. She ate well and is motoring this morning. I was feeding Doolin in the kitchen and turned to see her standing there. He tends to leave some of his breakfast to finish after his morning walk and if we're not careful she'll clean up for him, so she was keeping watch. Then she took herownself to her water bowl. And now she's in my office with her brother, which involved crossing a small area without a rug. Tough cookie. :beatheart 

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly

Does it get any better than this? We are so proud of you, Willa :kiss2 WTG girlie!

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

:wow Willa is an impressive girl!  Eating, drinking, willing to finish her brother's breakfast for him if necessary, navigating bare floor!  :confetti 

What a delight that Richard enjoyed a specially tasty treat in his last moments.  A life of loving and being beloved. I'm sorry your dear boy is gone. :grouphug

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

What great Willa updates! :yay I suppose we shouldn't have expected anything less for a girl with that intensity.

I'm so sorry about Richard. :cry1

Lila Football
Jerilyn, missing Lila (Good Looking), new Mistress to Wiki (PJ Wicked).

He'd been eating some of Willa's chicken a few minutes earlier, so I'm glad he got some spoiling in his final moments, even if we didn't realize it.

He left on his own terms, with a belly full of chicken.  :wub:  May your version of the rainbow bridge involve stinky fish and a limitless supply of cat toys.  Godspeed, Richard.

Willa -- you are AWESOME!  

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

3 hours ago, ramonaghan said:

A few whines/cries overnight but she settled with some snuggles. She ate well and is motoring this morning. I was feeding Doolin in the kitchen and turned to see her standing there. He tends to leave some of his breakfast to finish after his morning walk and if we're not careful she'll clean up for him, so she was keeping watch. Then she took herownself to her water bowl. And now she's in my office with her brother, which involved crossing a small area without a rug. Tough cookie. :beatheart 

Dang girl. Can’t keep you down. Keep at it with your spunky spirit, cancer is no match for you Willa.  

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

It sounds like Richard’s last great journey was mercifully quick, and although the timing might not seem ideal at first, he’s gone when you’ve got lots else going on to keep you occupied. Which is really very thoughtful of him.

Good girl Willa! You keep at it

Buddy Molly 🌈 5/11/10-10/10/23

Bumpy night here (I think she didn't appreciate the t-shirt I put on her), but today we've seen the return of Willa Waggles! She got very excited to go for a walk with her brother, which of course we couldn't let her do. But I'm thrilled she is feeling good enough that she wants to. 

53093359087_e1d4a71db9.jpg

Edited by ramonaghan

Sorry about the rough night. Delighted about the Willa Waggles. Not sure which is attributable to the words on the t-shirt. :lol: 

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

So glad to read that Willa is doing so well! She's a fighter, that one! And your heart must have been so joyful when you saw the return of the Willa Waggles!! :yay :wub: 

I'm sorry I haven't been posting much, but I've been thinking of you of all as you navigate the first week post-amp.  

Rest in peace, handsome Richard :cry1 :grouphug 

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

I think Richard waited until he knew Willa was home, and then made his exit. Glad to see she is up and about.

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

Some pics of the girl in her cute outfit. Stripes on stripes.

53100520694_53a23366ce_z.jpg

53100521509_bf55f27dac_z.jpg

She continues to do very well mobility and appetite wise but does have occasional bouts of panting, especially overnight, that we're trying to figure out. I'm not sure if it's pain or anxiety—too much or not enough Gabapentin. She was on a fairly conservative dose of 200mg every 8 hours, but we have sometimes bumped up to 300 and sometimes down to 100 in an effort to see how she does (she's also on Previcox, antibiotics, and Amicar). She's not showing any other signs of pain or crying out. I left a fan on for her last night in case she was warm in her shirt. I'm fairly sleep deprived, but that's to be expected. Stitches come out next Tuesday, 8/15.

Edited by ramonaghan