10th Great International Houndie Handoff!!!

greysmom

Yes, it's that time again!!!  But this year is special!!  Today's 10th Anniversary means our sweet "puppy" is 10 years old this year (born on September 27th or 28th).

Ten years ago - 2011 - was a tough year for us.  We lost my MIL at the end of 2010, and dealt with 2 dogs with 2 deadly diseases throughout 2011 - Dorie passed from Protein Losing Enteropathy on 10/5, and our heart dog Dude succumbed to Osteo a week later.  We so needed something happy and life affirming!  And when I found Dude's half brother, in a kennel run by one of our friends, it seemed meant to be!!!  But Whiskey was in Vermont and we live in Oregon, so the big question was, a) could we actually adopt Whiskey from this group way across the country, and, b) how do we get him from there to here??

The adoption question was answered fairly quickly, though I still believe there was some arm twisting going on with the directors of the Vermont kennel!!  We filled out the application, paid our money, and - voila! - he was approved to come to us!!  The "how" question was more difficult, but eventually - with the help of *very good friends* we had a plan!!  Whiskey would go to Donna in Montreal overnight, then be picked up by Deb, then flown to Vancouver BC, then across the border to Washington state.  Phew!!!!  (At the time, I did NOT have a passport, so I couldn't go to Canada.  I actually still don't have a passport!!  :rolleyes: )

The day of transport was getting closer, and we were getting excited!  When I opened my email one morning to a picture and a single sentence from Deb: "I can bring two as easily as one!"

38209362074_bc7a3e9b7e_z.jpgIMG_0313 by Chris Harper, on Flickr

OMG!!!  A puppy!!!  It took us about two minutes to decide a puppy was exactly what we needed!!!  The four in the above picture were the ones left from a litter of 14! :eek  We picked the girl in the upper right and named her Lilly  :beatheart and began adjusting our travel plans!  Deb was bringing Whiskey from Montreal, and her husband, John, would pick up Lilly.  They were bringing a few of their own kennel's dogs to Vancouver for adoption at the same time, so everything worked out!

The day of the transport, I left my home in Portland to drive to Blaine Washington, on the northern border, to meet up with our friend Jennie, who we were going to stay with overnight.  We would meet Deb and John in the Peace Arch Border Crossing park and get the dogs.  

Jennie, with Deb and John in the background with Whiskey and Lilly!!

27139996419_6e31d29b57_z.jpgPeace Arch by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Meeting Lilly for the first time!!

38916463511_b887a53045_z.jpgPeace Arch 4 by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Me, Jennie, Deb

38916460041_b107eee3d7_z.jpgPeace Arch 9 by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Jennie was a LIFESAVER!!!!  She stayed up all night and monitored the two dogs while I got some sleep for the 7 hour drive home the next day!!!

24052269247_0e601d9bfd.jpgWhiskey and Miss Jenn 1 by Chris Harper, on Flickr

38201232094_05ef74fe77.jpgL&W with Miss Jenn 1 by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Whiskey and Lilly really bonded during that night and the trip the next day.  Whiskey became Lilly's "dog nanny" and I don't know what we would have done without him to play with her during the next year!!  She was a little stinker - like most greyhound puppies!!

38924599361_43c6a9ec0b_c.jpgIMG_0339 by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Whiskey was perfect from Day 1 and fit into the household seamlessly.

25053111328_52329a1bca_z.jpgwhiskey 3 by Chris Harper, on Flickr

It hardly seems possible that Lilly is 10 years old this year!!  But she's sweet as pie and still super silly!!!

51718454808_50442a9b77_c.jpg20211201_141449 by Chris Harper, on Flickr

She and her two "sisters" are doing great and enjoying life!!  All in all, the best International Caper ever!!!

51718196461_0ca949a269_c.jpg20211201_141336 by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Edited by greysmom

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I loved this story last year and I love it again this year! :beatheart the photos are great, with Whiskey as the sensible, mature fellow, and Lilly with the innocent face and a gleam of mischief that you rarely see anywhere other than on a puppy

Buddy Molly 🌈 5/11/10-10/10/23

I suspect Covid has put an end to the easy smuggling in this park. :ph34r Yup. What a fabulous night that was. I had such fun with those 2. We walked up my icy driveway every half hour all night long to avoid accidents; Whiskey didn't need that, of course, and Lilly only pottied twice on the floor, but it's hardwood, so no problem. I miss Whiskey so very, very much. He was a Very Good Boy. And Lilly is a Very Good (BIG) Girl.

Miss Jennie

large.Luna-siggy2.jpg.680c6a7875af13e962feb80ca4d0cfb7.jpg

Jennie with her hedgehogs and Guinea pigs, and remembering Luna, Queen of the Piggies

9 hours ago, jenners said:

I suspect Covid has put an end to the easy smuggling in this park. :ph34r Yup. What a fabulous night that was. I had such fun with those 2. We walked up my icy driveway every half hour all night long to avoid accidents; Whiskey didn't need that, of course, and Lilly only pottied twice on the floor, but it's hardwood, so no problem. I miss Whiskey so very, very much. He was a Very Good Boy. And Lilly is a Very Good (BIG) Girl.

Miss Jennie

I love this story and appreciate its retelling.

Jenny, what a good and true friend you've been.

We all miss Whiskey Biskie Samba Boy :mexi2

gallery_27202_3534_9390.jpg

Momma to Jupiter.  Mummy to my Bridge Angels, Mercury and Liberty, the world's best blackngreylabhound

Love that solemn look that puppies have when they're not quite sure about things.  And Whiskey's beautiful black face!  :wub:  

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

I remember waiting for the post here that said the handoff was complete. We were all following along as if every one of us were all getting a new hound! 

10 years doesn't seem possible though. 

Edited by Time4ANap
rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

• 1 month later...

Bumping in Memory of our Sweet friend Lilly...Run Free, brite star!

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

It was such a great story that never gets old with the retelling.

Lilly and Whiskey will be in our hearts always.

gallery_15026_2920_5914.jpg
Marc and Myun plus Starbuck (the cat)
Pinky my AWOL girl, wherever you are, I miss you.
Angels Honey (6/30/99-11/3/11) Nadia (5/11/99-6/4/12) Kara (6/5/99-7/17/12) Cleo (4/13/2000-4/19/2014)

Antnee (12/1/2002=2/20/17)

:brokenheart  Run Free KLilly 

Best GT story ever…..

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

This is truly my favorite houndie story.    Run free sweet Lilly :brokenheart  and find your brother Whiskey at the Bacon Bar!   :grouphug 

Edited by Potomacpupsmom

gallery_22163_3545_11448.jpg

Humans Kathy and Jim with our girls, Ivy (Carolina Spoon) and Cherry (Fly Cherry Pie)

Missing our beautiful angel Breeze (Dighton Breeze) and angel Beka (BM Beko) - you are forever in our hearts.

I love this story. :beatheart 

And I remember when it happened. :lol: 

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Rereading this heartwarming story after the loss now ob both Lilly and Whiskey Biskey Samba Boy is such a sweet memory.  Two wonderful and beloved souls. :wub:

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.