Jax's passing

jaxsmom

Jax, our beautiful brindle champion, left us on Sunday morning. He was fine all day, going for his usual walk and cuddling on the couch. Right before bed he started walking slowly when we went out for the bathroom, and wouldn't touch his kibble when we came in. He threw up and then just laid down taking shallow breaths. It didn't feel right. I took him to the emergency vet thinking he must have swallowed a big piece of rawhide and had a blockage. The last thing I expected the vet to say is that he had fluid built up around his heart. She said she could drain the fluid, but there was no telling how much time that would buy him before it filled back up again. She said his prognosis was not good. We chose to not put him through the repeated sedation and surgeries and all that would come down that path. He gave us nearly 4 years of perfect health and joyful days, right until his very last day, and we like to think he would have wanted it to end that way.

My husband and I are still reeling from the shock of it all. He was fine, and then he was gone. I always thought we would have more warning. He was almost 10 years old and I just assumed we would have a few more years still. Or that I would see him slow down with age and would know the end was near. I never thought he could be in perfect health one morning and gone the next. We don't know how to process this gaping hole in our lives and our hearts. 

We love you Jacko. You raced until you were 5 years old. 149 races, 18 wins. You never let any challenge we threw your way get you down -- elevators, hardwood floors, stairs, traffic, two apartment moves. We were so lucky to know you and love you. We will miss you forever.

IMG_3968_2.jpg.c7f1dc4e5a86c67cfe7115bb8ef6008a.jpg

I am so sorry that Jax had to leave you so suddenly. I will add his name to the list of Bridge Angels for May.  :grouphug

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Oh Jax!  You were gorgeous. Send your family a sign, k?  I have to admit I admire your style of being fine up until your last day. Hard on your family but better for you. 

gallery_14387_3165_6886.jpg

Patsy and DH with the Humane Society specials, Linus & Jazz, in North Dakota

I'm so sorry for your sudden loss.  Run-free, Jax.  You will be greatly missed. :f_red

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

I'm so very sorry. It's always hard to lose a special dog, but it's even harder when it's so early and so suddenly.

Godspeed Jax.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13), Grey Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23)

So very sorry for the sudden loss of your handsome boy.

Remember all the good times....

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Your beautiful brindle champion knew how very much he was loved. I am so very sorry for your loss. :grouphug

Godspeed Jax.

Edited by FiveRoooooers

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

So very sorry for your loss of Jax. It is never easy and the loss is unbearable. Jax knows how much you loved him and he loved you just as much.

Rest easy beautiful boy.

Mom to Ranger (PB's Long Ranger), Esso (Kiowa Stay Over) and Cookie the rattie mix

Missing Kahn (Gil's Khan) 10-29-03 - 11-7-16  Belle (Regall Belooow) 8-9-07 - 3-12-17  Star (Greyt Star) 1-19-07 - 3-13-2020  Pitch (Emerald Pitch) 4-1-08 - 6-3-2020

I'm so sorry.  No matter how much time we have together, it is never, never enough.

May your spirit run with the wind, handsome Jax.  

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

I am so sorry.  Jax had such a wonderful life with you.  It is always hard when they leave us, but it is sudden it is even harder I think. My thoughts are with you.

Patty,

Mom to Jaxson 5/12/2017

Forever in my heart: Joey 11/01/2007 to 12/06/2018, Scout 11/19/2005 to 07/15/15 and Jack 01/03/2004 to 06/11/2011

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...