Follow Up Info Shine Got Hurt In The Yard

Of course, she was running like a maniac, so, I stepped onto the porch to get the water bucket as I knew I would have to wash her feet. She was around the corner in the yard and out of sight, and, I heard the GSOD. To be honest, I have never had a dog scream that long or that loud.

We rushed over to her and began rubbing her foot and leg. I thought, maybe, she had dislocated a toe.

We can see or feel nothing wrong, but, she is limping and refusing to put her foot down. She has gone up and down the stairs to be near to me. She did cry out a second when she laid down on her dog bed.

I have an appointment for her at the vet's tomorrow afternoon. I have some oldish Deramaxx in the house. Can I give that to her?

Thanks for any thoughts.

Our odyssey started today at 7:30 AM today. We called our vet and they asked us to be in before 8:30 AM, so we drove off to Milford which is about 40 minutes. Believe it or not, we lost some time because they were delivering a house (Yes a whole house.) into a development near by.

They took x-rays first and I was expecting to hear that she fractured her hock. Well, she broke her ankle on both sides. Our vet said she needed major surgery, he was not comfortable doing it, and recommended a veterinary referral practice in Annapolis. They splinted her leg and we got pain meds and went home. We called Annapolis and they had a cancellation for this afternoon and we went. Bottom line, Shine is having major surgery tomorrow, will be in a cast with changes for about 6 to 8 weeks and the bill was big. Doesn't matter; she is our girl and we will fix her. Both vets said it is a very unusual break, since she broke it on both sides, she may have gotten caught on something (What?).

Please say a prayer or two for our little girl who is having her surgery tomorrow. We appreciate all good thoughts.

Thanks.

Edited by Houndtime

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No advice but :grouphug

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Feel better soon Miss Shine.

Nothing like a GSOD to get your attention. Hope whatever it is, it's minor.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

I probably would, at least for tonight. Especially if Deramaxx is your nsaid of choice. Probably a pulled muscle - shoulder or neck would be my thought, but see what the vet says for sure.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Poor Shine - get better soon.

Arnica will help if it is a pulled muscle. And pain meds for a few days.

Sorry for butchering the english language. I try to keep the mistakes to a minimum.

Nadine with Paddy (Zippy Mullane), Saoirse (Lizzie Be Nice), Abu (Cillowen Abu) and bridge angels Colin (Dessies Hero) and Andy (Riot Officer).

How is Shine this morning?

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Irene, I hope Shine is doing better tonight.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Are you going to see Dr. Coon? He'll take good care of her. Feel better, girlie!

Hi Pat,

See updated post at the top.

What?! Oh my goodness, best healing thoughts for Shine and hugs for her people. Please keep us posted. :grouphug

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Dr. Brown and Dr. Coon are the best surgeons in the area, so if Dr. Coon referred you out, then it must've been a particularly nasty break. Poor girl! I can't remember the name of the place you were referred to, but I know they enjoy an excellent reputation.

I wonder if she skidded and got her foot caught under/between the posts of your fence? Prayers and paws crossed from us, for a speedy and drama free recovery!

Oh Miss Shine, this is for an uncomplicated surgery and a speedy recovery :clover

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

Thinking of you and keeping you in my prayers.

Sorry for butchering the english language. I try to keep the mistakes to a minimum.

Nadine with Paddy (Zippy Mullane), Saoirse (Lizzie Be Nice), Abu (Cillowen Abu) and bridge angels Colin (Dessies Hero) and Andy (Riot Officer).

Dr. Brown and Dr. Coon are the best surgeons in the area, so if Dr. Coon referred you out, then it must've been a particularly nasty break. Poor girl! I can't remember the name of the place you were referred to, but I know they enjoy an excellent reputation.

I wonder if she skidded and got her foot caught under/between the posts of your fence? Prayers and paws crossed from us, for a speedy and drama free recovery!

Len thinks she caught it between the down spout and the house. I am leaning towards that she nicked it on the well cap. Bottom line; we don't know and we were out with her. They never go out alone. She is at Chesapeake in Annapolis. Two hours away.