Sudden Death

Guest ranedaze

Guest ranedaze

My greyhound died suddenly in the early morning hours yesterday. He was sleeping next to me in bed when I awoke to hear him make high-pitched keening noises. This only lasted a few seconds and then he was dead. Absolutely no previous signs of any illness whatsoever. He was seven years old. I had rescued him from the track three years prior. He raced for about four years. Has anyone had an experience like this? I simply cannot figure it out. I am guessing heart attack. It is devastating to me.

Very sorry for your loss. It's possible your boy did have an unkown heart problem. These guys are very stoic, many owners suspect nothing until they are seriously ill or death occurs.

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

I'm very sorry for your loss. It's always heartbreaking when it's so sudden and unexplained.

It could have been many things, and likely there was nothing at all you could have a) know about beforehand, or B) done anything about. A necropsy *may* have been able to point in a direction, but maybe not.

Please take comfort in knowing you gave him the best life these last few years, and he loved you for it. I hope, in time, you will feel up to honoring his memory by adding another retired racer to your family.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I am very sorry for the loss of your boy. We experienced something similar with our angel Jack who we knew had a heart condition and it had gotten worse over his last six months. He passed in my arms one morning after letting out a scream, he then appeared to have a seizure and died. He was only 8.5 years old at the time and he was a very sweet boy.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I had that happen to a gorgeous Siamese cat. He was six, and one day he just made a noise and fell over dead. It was awful. Vet said it could have been anything from a ruptured aneurism to a blood clot. I opted not to pay for a necropsy, and there is just nothing you can say that makes it any less devastated, shocking, horrifying, and depressing. Know only there was nothing you could have done for him. At least he didn't suffer. That's the only comfort I take in the death of my cat.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Ranedaze, would you share your boy's name with us? I will add his name to the list of Bridge Angels here on Greytalk. I am so sorry that he left you way too soon.

:grouphug

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

My guess would be his heart. What a devastating loss. I am so very sorry.

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

I'm so sorry you lost your boy.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Guest ranedaze

Thank you all so much for your heartfelt thoughts and comments. I do take comfort that he was laying next to me when it happened and I truly don't think he suffered because it happened almost instantaneously. His name was Garth, the Greyt Greyhound.

Ranedaze, would you share your boy's name with us? I will add his name to the list of Bridge Angels here on Greytalk. I am so sorry that he left you way too soon.

:grouphug

What an awful thing to happen! The only consolation is that it was quick and that it was Garth's time to leave this life without any of the miseries that can come with old-age. No blame here at all - it was probably a congenital weakness that just ran out of time.

:bighug

It is so hard to loose one of our greys so quickly. I had one boy that I did not get a chance to say goodbye to seven years ago and till this day, it makes me sad. It is hard enough to know that will happen in advance and that maybe you can get to do a bucket list, but when it happens so sudden and unexpected, just hard to take. I pray that you will find peace that he is always in your heart and know that you will see him one day and be together forever. God Bless.

Likewise I suspect it was probably an undiagnosed heart / cardiovascular defect. That's just a guess without a necropsy being done.

My Riley recently died quite unexpectedly and I think it was likely the same cause. He went to take a nap on his favorite rug and just never woke up.

It sucks to lose a greyhound under any circumstances, but especially with no warning or time to prepare. But for the hound it's probably for the best. No pain, no suffering.

:bighug

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg