Gallo Dropped Dead Today :(

Guest JudyJFLA

Guest JudyJFLA
, flipped over head first which I thought she had just tripped, but then seemed to be having some kind of seizure and was screaming. Now that I think about it it was the Greyhound Scream of Death. I thought she had broken a leg or her neck. She took some breaths and I screamed for the other people to help me get her in the van. by now she was just staring and her tongue was starting to turn pale. I was doing 80 in a 30 to get to any vet while I was shaking her and yelling at her to hang in there. A vet came out and said it was most likely a heart attack, or cardiomyopathy and she was gone. She had always been super healthy except for having to remove some teeth in January, and she had bloodwork for that, and just had shots and a once over 3 weeks ago. She had been limping from a minor scrape on the top of a front foot which had healed so it was habit. She had slowed down a bit, but was still eating and drinking and was a bit heavy, but not fat. A neighbor just helped me bury her. She was such a great friend who was just chill all the time and was only 10. She adopted me 6 years ago after racing for 4 years at up to 39.6 MPH. She was a winner who deserved a great retirement. I never had to tell her "NO" and she just liked to lay out back in the sun, usually in a hole she dug for the occasion. She never had a mean bone, but loved to bark at the possums and raccoons that wandered by. Strange that it happened the same day as the memory page on Facebook of she and my late Old English Sheepdog Murphysnurf from 2011 Murph was 15. They are now buried side by side out front, and my heart has just been ripped out. Has anyone else ever have their friend basically just drop dead? The vet who I had never seen before (I went to the closest one) said at least I did not have to make a decision later :(

I'm very sorry for your loss.

Run free, Gallo. :f_pink

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Guest JudyJFLA

It cut off the top.... Here is the beginning...

I am totally crying right now. Gallo the Greyhound died this morning 1f641.png :( I decided to take the dogs to Barkingham park in Fort Myers, FL at 10 before it was so hot to get them used to riding again for the trip together back north for the summer. She was so happy, even at the drive thru at Taco Bell with her head on my shoulder in the van. I let her in the park first and she was walking around fine. I brought Scooter, our Old English sheepdog in and the dogs on the other side of the fence were barking and running. She took about 4 steps to run

Her adoption pic in 2011 http://www.greyhound-data.com/greyhound/1470792/816/Greyhound_ZEs_Juana_Gallo-big.jpg

Edited by JudyJFLA

No experience with this, but I am so sorry for your sudden loss. :(

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

I am so very very sorry. My beloved Beth collapsed very suddenly on a morning walk at 9.5, and while she revived shortly after she kept getting faint with pale gums and just died at the vet less than 24 hours later. It is a complete shock, and I can't imagine the distress of what you went through. One comfort I had, that I hope you will have in time too, is that she never got old and frail or suffered -- she was enjoying life normally up to the very end.

:f_pink

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Guest JudyJFLA

I am so sorry about Beth. I had to get her to a vet, I did not want to give up hope if it was some kind of seizure, but the vet was almost 15 minutes at 80 mph. She went out trying to run, so went out in true greyhound form. Just way too soon. I did not think I could cry this much. I never cry about my father, but I sure do for my dogs.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Unfortunately, it can happen that way - a heart issue or stroke can take them in the blink of an eye, with no answers for those of us left behind.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

So very sorry.

:(

We had a 7 yr old Dobe just drop dead several years ago :(

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Godspeed, sweetie.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I am so sad and sorry to read this. How awful for you. We have had two dogs who were fine in the morning and gone by days end. Both had a ruptured spleen and/or liver.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

What a horrible, devastating way to lose your precious Gallo. My heart just broke reading about how happy you both were, going to the drive-thru, being eager to have fun at the dog park. Such a sudden loss just adds to your grief---first there is the shock, and the questioning of why, as well as missing her so much and trying to deal with such a huge and unexpected absence from your home and heart.

My vet said almost the same thing to me when I lost my heart cat Daphne very suddenly, probably to a stroke. She died in my arms on the way to the vets. Of course, I didn't want to hear then that I was spared making a decision about euthanasia, when I was absolutely destroyed. I too felt like my heart had been ripped out, and would have given anything for more time with my sweet girl, even if I had to eventually make a very sad decision. It was only after some time had passed, and the pain wasn't so sharp and deep, that I felt that she had probably left the way she would have wanted to---in the arms of the person she loved most, without the pain and fear and weariness of a long illness.

I hope that in time, you are able to find some comfort in knowing that she felt happy and safe and loved right up until the very end. :grouphug

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

I am so sorry for your loss.

I had a gorgeous Siamese cat literally fall over dead after making a sort of howling noise. It was horrible. He was six years old. The vet said it could have been anything from an aneurism to a blood clot, probably a congenital defect of some sort and NOTHING I could have done or did not do would have made any difference. The shock stays with you a very long time. The only comfort I have is that it was over before he even knew anything was happening. I was the one who suffered, not him.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

So sorry to hear about your Gallo. So young. I understand how we can miss them more than our humans at times. They give us joy beyond understanding. Each have their very own special gift to the one they adopted. Just reading your post brings tears to my eyes, but with very sweet memories. I have a very special spot in my yard where I lay my guys/girls to rest. Just outside of my kitchen window, next to the pines. Yes, I talk to them and tell them I will see them someday soon and to keep each other company, till we meet again. Many prayers for you.