Henry, Possible Fracture On Another Leg

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh Alicia, Just seeing this post now and was hoping for better news when I got to page 2. I'm so, so sorry. Henry is lucky to have you and Sterling. Wishing you peaceful days ahead.

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

Well, we're home. The aspirate of his chest mass confirmed what we already knew- malignant cancer. They did some tests in-house and said it was VERY bad. Not a fibrosarcoma like last time, some really ugly, terrible metastatic cancer that resembles hemangiosarcoma. Took some more rads of the legs, and there were a few suspicious areas on both of them in addition to a few small nodules on his lungs. These all surfaced quickly and unexpectedly, as his lung rads from six months ago were pristine.

The pragmatist in me is trying to line everything up so that we don't have to make any hasty decisions when the time comes... but obviously, my heart is broken in two. I am terrified, and I feel like it's just a matter of days now. We're hoping to still make Dewey on Wednesday so Henry can experience one last trip, a walk on the beach, and a final goodbye to everyone who loved him. But I'm honestly not sure if poor Henry will make it that long. He is snuggled up in our bed right now with a belly full of McDonalds hamburgers. I promised him that I would stop crying, and that we would enjoy our time left. I told him I was sorry, that I did my best, and I know he did his. We just ran out of spare legs this time.

Thank you to everyone for their well-wishes. I haven't had the chance to respond to everyone, but I appreciate all of your comments and PMs.

I told him I was sorry, that I did my best, and I know he did his.

So true on all counts. Wish the outcome could have been better for you both. :grouphug

4894718087_9910a46faa_d.jpg

Tricia with Kyle, our senior mutt dog 
Always missing Murray MaldivesBee Wiseman, River, Hopper, Kaia, and 
Holly Oaks Holly
“You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.“          -Bob Dylan

Just catching up on this. I'm so sorry to read this news. I'm hoping it's not like the aggressive hemangiosarcoma Kasey had, however it's unbelievably brutal how aggressive that cancer can be.

Now that you know though, cherish every single last day you have with him. Make them the best last days for both of you ever. Do easy simple things that he loves: treats, food, grooming, car rides if he can handle it, the works. It'll be worth it.

Thinking of you.....

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Oh Alicia, after all you and Henry have been through, I'm so deeply sorry that he has been stricken with more cancer. Glad that you were so alert to all his signs of pain and rushed him in for tests. My heart goes out to you all.

I imagine Henry will be comforted by your loving, calming presence at home. Wishing you more gifted moments, pictures, and perhaps a clipping of his beautiful red brindle fur. You're all in our positive thoughts.

Alicia, I am so very very sorry. Like all, I was hoping for good news but it is not to be. Henry is such a special boy and he reminds me a lot of Charlie. I wish you both some special moments over the coming days and please know you did everything for your boy and gave him so much extra time full of love.

Hang in there and give Henry a hug from me.

Kyle

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Nooo! I'm so very sorry. :grouphug

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

henry beat the bastard once, that's more than most dogs get to. as always you have provided the most support for your pups and cancer has no rhyme or reason and no kindness. cancer sucks, i'm so sorry..... :brokenheart:brokenheart:brokenheart how is truman doing with all of the emotions flying thru the house? he will react to his loss as well-

The pragmatist in me is trying to line everything up so that we don't have to make any hasty decisions when the time comes... but obviously, my heart is broken in two. I am terrified, and I feel like it's just a matter of days now. We're hoping to still make Dewey on Wednesday so Henry can experience one last trip, a walk on the beach, and a final goodbye to everyone who loved him. But I'm honestly not sure if poor Henry will make it that long.

May he last that long and longer. Completely understand wanting to bring him to Dewey one more time and I know you would only do it if you thought he would be comfortable enough to enjoy the trip.

Would like to gently suggest you consider how you would handle an emergency while traveling. Having dealt with hemangiosarcoma & something else HS-ish, things can turn terribly worse at lightening speed. It could be very difficult to deal with while on the road. At Dewey may be a different matter. It might be easier to deal with, logistically. You could perhaps find a mobile vet there to come to your hotel. While in route to or from is what would concern me most. It's just that I've gone through it and, well, I'm not good in a crisis so from my perspective I'd rather not face that while on the road. The way things happened with my dogs is very contrary to the peaceful departure at home that you are planning. I'm sorry. Am not trying to sound harsh or make you feel worse, but I thought it best to say anyway.

[The above written with tears in my eyes.]

Oh Alicia, I am so sorry. Just enjoy every day with him as a gift, and make him as happy as possible. :grouphug

gallery_22163_3545_9670.jpg

Humans Kathy and Jim with our girls, Ivy (Carolina Spoon) and Cherry (Fly Cherry Pie)

Missing our beautiful angel Breeze (Dighton Breeze) and angel Beka (BM Beko) - you are forever in our hearts.

oh, alicia, i can't tell you how sorry i am for you and sterling and henry. i'm crying for you and your sweet, brave, beautiful boy. i know he could not have a more caring, compassionate, unselfish family. you have done everything you can for him out of unconditional love, and he knows that. you are all in our thoughts and prayers for your time together, however long.

if you don't go to dewey, and want to talk or get together, please let me know. i'm feeling better, and can actually go out like a semi-normal person. sending hugs.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Henry started to decline through the night and became very swollen and painful. He could hardly stand. I can't really explain it, but there was something about seemed so defeated. He was ready to go. We called the visiting vet and said goodbye earlier today.

When I'm able, I will write a proper tribute to Henry. I do want to say thank you to everyone who sent words of kindness and support. There are no words to explain our sadness and heartbreak.

Edited by a_daerr

Shedding many tears for you and your sweet boy; he and his huge smile touched so many of us from afar. You did everything you could for him, and he knew it. I am so sorry for you and Sterling and Truman. Rest well, Henry. :heart

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

Henry had the best family ever. I am so sorry that he had to leave you. :grouphug

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

I'm so sorry Alicia. This is so sudden and unexpected. Unfortunately I have some idea of what you're going through. I hope you can take some comfort in knowing you did the right thing for Henry. :grouphug

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."