Henry, Possible Fracture On Another Leg

This past week, we've started having some issues with Henry. Among these:

-Gradually become more reluctant to use the stairs

-More slipping and sliding on the hardwood floors

-Waking up in the middle of the night and panting/whining

-Refusing occasional meals

-Began having accidents in the house

I took him to the emergency/specialty vet in Pittsburgh. The attending vet who evaluated him did not see any obvious issues, suggested soft tissue injury (we did have Django, another greyhound houseguest for over a week, and Henry might've overdone it), and that we should follow up with pain meds and crate-rest. Then, the next day another surgeon called back after reviewing Henry's films again. He was concerned about a possible fracture on the left front leg. If not that, then a calcification of prior injury that is bothering him now. I'm giving Rimadyl and Tramadol, but he still has some symptoms of pain. Still not wanting to put weight on that left front leg, and waking up in the middle of the night pant-y and whine-y. Flat out refusing to use stairs now.

Are you guys seeing anything here? FYI, I already sent them off to Dr. Couto. So far, they do not believe it's cancer-related. No osteolytic lesions. Chest rads are still clear. Of course, I'm in a perpetual state of anxiety about the Big C coming back.

28mioae.png

16hrw5.png

At least until I hear back from Guillermo, would you guys mind taking a look? Thanks in advance from me and Henry.
Edited by a_daerr

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sorry but, I do see an area of concern in his left carpal area BUT, perhaps it's just the positioning of the limb. I do hope you receive a positive response from GC.

My guess is he'll want to see further views of the area.

Edited by tbhounds

Oh no! Good thoughts for you and Henry.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Know that I have no real medical/veterinary knowledge & certainly don't know how to read an xray. My opinion means nothing. With that preface, at place on the top right of the upper xray, near joint on left leg, would have me worried. It does look like a fracture. There colors in the adjacent area don't match the other leg but that doesn't seem uncommon to me when looking at xrays. As tbhounds said, it could be from positioning.

While realizing I'd be very worried if in your position, I'd like to just say that soft tissue injury can cause a good deal of pain, sometimes seeming intractable. My boy recently went though something like this. It was just a soft tissue shoulder injury & he's recovered. Shoulder pain that barely responds to pain meds in an 8 yo hound had my mind reeling. His xrays were clean though, except an osteophyte which may or may not have contributed to the pain.

Sending many good thoughts. "It's an artifact. It's just soft tissue. ... It's an artifact. It's just soft tissue. ... It's an artifact. It's just soft tissue. ..." :goodluck

{{{HUGS}}} No experience, but sending all our good thoughts for you and Henry!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Quick update. We're at the e-vet with Hen. The radiologist looked at these rads from Thursday night. I started getting a bit worried looking at that left wrist, where it looks a bit more shadow-y in comparison to the other one. The doc didn't seem worried about that, more about the line that could either be a artifact or a greenstick fracture. The weird thing is that his other leg is very swollen today. I'm not sure if it's because he's trying to limp on the left, and is trying to put all his weight on the right, causing it to be swollen... or if the injury is actually on that leg and we're just missing something. We're going to get some more x-rays and if necessary, an ultrasound. He's definitely decompensating for some reason. Just gotta figure out why. :goodluck

Any chance of a TBD? That's my first thought with alternating limb lameness and swelling. If repeat x-rays don't turn anything up, maybe do a 4D snap test?

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

:( Hope you can get it sorted out and its nothing serious.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."