My Boy Taylor

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I gave Taylor his first dose of the Palladia chemo pills this morning at 7:00 AM, stuck in a little meatball of raw hamburger.....YUMMY!!

He also gets 30 mg of Famotidine (Pepcid) at that hour.

Back to sleep he went, as usual, for another couple of hours.

Then he was hopping around the house......it was time for a RIDE and a 15 minute walk at the beach boardwalk with Face.

Then a short nap, and then both the hounds were bellowing at me for another outing.

This time we went nearby to the strip mall. There's a Greek restaurant there. They get GYRO MEAT!!! (And Taylor got a hug from the owner).

Then another nap, and then out to pee at 12:30. Back inside for a half a can of dog food, and the start of the afternoon nap.

Dinner at 4:00 PM. Followed by trotting in the back yard to pee, then chew on a bully stick for 10 minutes, and back to nap time.

See the picture below. That's how he digests his dinner. I put down sheets this morning, jut in case he wasn't feeling well after taking the pills.

Normal day for him.

No apparent side effects from the chemo.

No nausea. No diarrhea.

Hopefully he will tolerate it well, and it will be effective.

Next dose is Wednesday. He'll be taking it Mondays, Wednesdays, and Friday.

Checkup in 2 weeks to check blood an an exam.

And the reimbursement checks from Embrace will be rolling in, again.

Last Wednesday's exam and chest x-rays were $380.00.

I just got the email stating approval, and I should have the check in a few days (80% of the office visit.).

I picked up the chemo pills on Friday. 7 doses worth. At $48.00 a dose.

That should be approved in the next day, and that check will be on the way.

His annual insurance premium is $480.00.

I will have recovered that money shortly.

Just something to think about by the people who say they're going to "set aside the premium money" and not have insurance.

It's insurance. You hope you don't need it, but when you do, it's nice to have.

004_zps1hbxm0ca.jpg

OMG!! that's almost a complete split, upside down! you go Taylor!

and i agree 110% on pet insurance.... every one of my dogs has had, and will always have pet insurance... my cat didn't need it for 14 yrs... now, he needs it, but it's too late... so i've already spent over $1,500 out of pocket....

Edited by claudiav

Image removed, not within Signature Guidelines.

The chemo Kasey went through (not palladia that I can recall) would cause side effects about 2-3 days later. The day of dose and day after you wouldn't have know anything was wrong with him. Hoping he continues to stay well!

Edited by XTRAWLD

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Mark, our friend's boy had an amp in December and also 6 rounds of carbo. He's now on Palladia and does not have lung mets. He was taking the Palladia for about a month and then had some GI issues. Bloody diarrhea and not eating. Vet took him off and gave him some GI meds for about a week and now he's back on the Palladia. I was a little surprised she put him back on it, but he seems to be doing fine.

And Oh Heck Yeah on the insurance. We're in way over $10K with Cecil at this point since November last year and Trupanion has paid 90% of everything. They haven't had an issue with a single claim, not even Cyberknife which they could have contested since it's not gold-standard treatment for Osteo and really expensive.

Hope Taylor continues to do well with his new meds.

Taylor, you keep fighting! We're all rooting for you!

Camp Broodie with tuxedo Summer 12 and tuxedo Dio 6

Missing KC Kitty 2000-2016, Myka and part of my heart 2006-2020, and Saint YellBoy 2014-2020

• 2 weeks later...

Taylor had a checkup yesterday with his oncologist, 3 weeks after chest x-rays showed the little nodule in his lung (not there 3 months earlier).

He started 100 mg of Palladia chemo pills, Monday, Wednesday, and Friday 2-1/2 weeks ago.

Yesterday's blood work came back fine.

All good on the physical exam.

He is having no side effects from the chemo pills.

Good appetite and as much of an energy level as a greyhound might have with the heat index in the 90's the past month.

We've already been out on 2 rides and walks today (including a trip to the UPS Store where they have TREATS!!!!).

Next checkup is in 4 weeks, and that will be at the 7 week mark after finding the nodule.

At that time, they will do blood work and chest x-rays.

Hoping that the nodule has shrunk, and no others have formed.

If the chemo pills haven't helped, we will go on to something else.

It's been 18 months since diagnosis of Osteosarcoma, and 15 months since amputation.

He runs and spins and jumps.

Last week, he grabbed a rat off the top of the 6' tall privacy fence at 11:00 PM.

"DROP IT!!!!!!" He did, and he looked quite pleased with himself.

002_zps6vwjgmxp.jpg

HOORAY FOR TAYLOR! :mexi2:yay:clap

I have been following his story in lurk mode, it's so wonderful to see.

PS--my cat took Palladia, three rounds, for intestinal mast cell. While it didn't eliminate it (the vet found evidence of lymph node involvement), I believe it extended his life, as we are 1 year post diagnosis and removal and he's doing well.

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Taylor saw his oncologist this afternoon.
7 weeks since the nodule was found in his lung.
Blood work continues to be fine and his physical exam was fine.

X-rays had been planned for today, to see if the nodule has shrunk, but the machine was down!!

So they will do x-rays next Wednesday.
He will stay on the same dose of Palladia he has been taking for 7 weeks, and he is tolerating that with no problem.

In the meantime, he is acting fine and running and leaping.

001_zpsqbbzyris.jpg

Hooray for Taylor! :beatheart:flip

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

Good boy Taylor! Keep it up big boy.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

• 2 weeks later...

The chest x-rays were done this past Wednesday.

The results are not as good as we hoped for.

The 0.7 cm nodule found in his lung 8 weeks ago is now 1.5 cm, meaning it has doubled in size.

The good news is that there are no new nodules.

He has been on the Palladia chemo pills, 100 mg, Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays for 8 weeks.

He has no side effects (other than his nose has turned a little pink, and his oncologist said that can happen and it's only cosmetic).

His blood counts have been fine.

​He's acting fine. He has a good appetite. His activity level is fine (or as good as can be expected with weather in the 90's the past month and a half here in Florida).

The plan now is to continue the Palladia and do more x-rays in another 4 weeks.

His doctor feels that Palladia many times does not show any improvement in the reduction of nodules for 6-8 weeks.

Taylor is 7 years and 8 months old, and he is 89 pounds.

It's been 19 months since he was diagnosed with Osteo in his right front leg.

We started with radiation, Zoledronate, and Carboplatin.

His leg was amputated 16 months ago.

He's a happy boy.

He loves and demands rides and walks 2-3 times a day. Loves meeting people and getting told what a strong boy he is. Loves the treats at all the stores. Loves the hugs people give him.

He RUNS in the back yard, and leaps and spins.

I want to keep him happy as long as possible.

We know he has outlived the "average".

001_zpswi0xiukz.jpg

Aww, Taylor, you get sillier every time! :flip:heart