My Boy Taylor

I keep telling Tanzi, who lost her front leg last week that all pix of Taylor are of him roaching. So she will soon be able to roach again. She was trying hard to do that last night.

He gives me inspiration and hope.

I think Taylor was around 2 weeks before he started roaching again, and he does it ALL the time.

A LOT more than he ever did.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Taylor, who is 8 years old and 86 pounds, was diagnosed with Osteosarcoma in his right front wrist almost 2 years ago, on January 10, 2015.

He started out treatment immediately with his oncologist.

He had radiation, Zoledronate infusion, and Carboplatin chemo.

But the bone was deteriorating, and he had his leg amputated almost 1 year and 9 months ago on April 10, 2015, and then finished up the last 2 monthly rounds of Carboplatin.

Starting 3 weeks after surgery, he and Face (my other greyhound) and I were out and about every single day.

He ran around the back yard, spinning and leaping.

Taylor loved and demanded rides and walks 2-3 times a day, and we would see hundreds and hundreds of people all over.

​Everyone always asks what happened, and then he would get all kinds of attention and hugs and kisses on his head.

He would stand there like a pony, 3 legged, loving it.

3 weeks ago, Taylor started walking very slowly in the back yard. No more trotting or running. Panting hard as he walked, but when he would come back into the house and lay down, he was OK.

It was getting worse, and a week ago Tuesday, he had chest x-rays and blood work.

Blood work, done every 4-6 weeks, was all fine, and within greyhound range.

The chest x-rays, done every 2-3 months, showed that the 2 nodules in his lungs that we found 6 months ago had grown, another one had shown up, but they weren't anywhere big enough to cause any breathing problems. He had been taking Palladia chemo pills, 3 times a week, for 6 months to slow down the usually inevitable growth of nodules in the lungs. That's where Osteo usually comes back.

A week ago Wednesday, he had an abdominal ultrasound. All organs looked fine. No signs of cancer anywhere.

But he was still acting like he was in pain. Sunday, he started having a very hard time laying down.

Started him on Gabapentin, 300 mg, twice a day for pain.

This past Monday evening, his legs felt warm. Tuesday morning they were warm and there was swelling.

His appetite was really reduced the past few weeks, and over this past weekend, he wouldn't touch any of the 6 or 7 types of canned dog food. He was eating jars of baby food, chicken and gravy, or beef or turkey with gravy, and sliced turkey or roast beef.

Yesterday morning, Wednesday, we were back at the oncologist at 8:30 AM.

X-rays confirmed that he has a rare condition called Hypertrophic Osteopathy.

That is increased density of the periosteum which is the membrane that covers the bones in the legs

It is believed to be caused by cancerous lung nodules.

That would explain the warmth, the swelling, and the lack of appetite and the pain walking.

He also had a temperature of 104.3, not caused by infection, but by the condition.

He started taking Previcox, an anti-inflammatory and pain medication, and in one day, he is moving around a LOT better.

His appetite has returned, and he can lay down easily.

Tomorrow morning, he will get an infusion of Zoledronate, which can be given every 3-4 weeks and helps control pain.

There is no cure for this condition. It is progressive. There will be a point where the amount of pain medication that he needs will not allow him to function. Especially hard with a 3 legged dog.

So, the plan continues as it has for the past 2 years. Keep him comfortable and happy.

My promise to him 5 years ago when I adopted him, my first greyhound: I would always take care of him. Give him a good quality of life.

When that can't be done anymore, I will help him cross the Rainbow Bridge, at home. Don't know if that will be in a few weeks, or a couple of months.

003_zpsgpwt0gwc.jpg

We :beatheart you, Taylor, now and forever!

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

:grouphug

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Oh gosh, this is a heartbreaking update. I'm so very sorry Taylor has been diagnosed with Hypertrophic Osteopathy.

Thoughts and prayers for the medications to relieve his symptoms as long as possible.

Thank you for taking such excellent care of your special boy. Your loving devotion to Taylor has impacted his life beyond measure.

Wishing you many more treasured moments together...

Taylor is feeling so much better, 2 days after starting the Previcox for inflammation and pain.

He was back at the vet this morning to get that IV of the Zoledronate pain medication that can be given every 4 weeks.

His temperature is back to normal, his legs are not warm anymore, and the inflammation is down.

He is walking well and eating well again.

It was in the low 50's this morning when they went out at 7:00 AM, and Taylor and Face were running around together.

I hope the new regime can keep him happy and playing with Face for a good while.

:grouphug

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

I'm sorry to read this but am thrilled with the most recent update.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

I am so saddened to read of the latest diagnosis. Taylor is a hero to all of us and I am glad the latest update is that he is feeling better. I hope he has many more good days ahead.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

As you can see, Taylor seems to be tolerating the medications.

His legs are cooler, the swelling is down, and he is running and trotting and walking and sniffing in the back yard.

This morning, we drove to the beach, and went walking for 15 minutes.
Back home for breakfast.
His appetite is back to normal.
He now LOVES FreshPets that comes in a tube.

5 minutes later, he and Face were dancing around the house with helicopter tails, and barking at me. It was time for a WALK!!!

003_zpsw5pc3usz.jpg