My Boy Taylor

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Taylor saw his oncologist today.

A chest x-ray showed the 3 nodules in his lungs, found 9 months ago, are now 6-10 times larger than they were 6 months ago.

That would explain the increase in coughing recently.

He usually only coughs when he is laying down/sleeping, and only around a half a dozen times a day. That would be due to inflammation from the nodules causing fluid to form. When he is walking around, the fluid is spread out, therefore less of a chance of a cough.

He looked fine today upon examination. Holding his weight (85 pounds). His blood work was fine. He had his every 3 week IV of pain medication for the condition in his legs diagnosed 2 months ago.

He came home, and gobbled down 1-1/2 cans of dog food and is sleeping comfortably.

The plan is to keep him comfortable. Always has been.

The doctor felt that the medication he has been taking for 9 months has greatly slowed down the growth and start of new nodules, since most dogs would have been gone in less than 2 months.

In the meantime, he's a happy boy. He wants to eat. He wants his rides and walks and to see people and get treats.

It will probably be only another 1-2 months before the nodules become too big, and he is coughing much more, and he stops eating.

That is when the end-of-life vet will come to the house and have him pass comfortably, with his head in my lap, the same way we first met, when he put his big head on my lap at the adoption agency. Over 5 years ago.

thumbnail_IMG_20170308_080708719_zps7wup

Taylor! :beatheart Whatever time you have left, I'm sure it will involve lots of ice cream :chow !

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

Taylor :kiss2

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

The increased size of nodules must have been very difficult news to hear. I'm so sorry. You and Taylor have already been through so much together. Your devoted loving support will help him more than ever now. Wishing you and Taylor as much comfortable time as possible. :grouphug

On Taylor you sweet boy. I wish you as much as time as possible with your momma and here's a gentle hug from far away.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

OH Taylor, you are a star! :star:yay

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

Taylor, you are one cool dude! Between being a "Spokespup" for the Morris Animal Foundation in December to a front page story in you local paper. How do you handle the puparazzi?? :beatheart:star:clap

Annette, mom to Banjo (AJN Spider Man) & Casey (kitty), wife to Roy. Mom to bridgekids: Wheat (GH), Icabod (GH), Scarlett (Cab's Peg Bundy), Rhett (Kiowa Day Juice), Dixie (Pazzo Dixie), Pogo/Gleason (Rambunctious), and Miriam (Miriam of Ruckus) and Spooky, Taffy, Garfield, & Lefty (kitties)

Taylor is both a star and a hero! Hope he's with you for quite a while longer.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

For the past 4 mornings, Taylor started coughing between 4:00 and 5:00 AM, and then wakes up. The nodules in his lungs are getting bigger, and as expected, after laying in one spot for a few hours, fluid builds up and then he coughs and it wakes him up (and Face and I).

I then take them both out to pee and poop, and then we all go back to beds till around 7:00 AM.
The coughing comes and goes in the morning, but lets up in the afternoon and evening. Moving around helps.

I have noticed that he is struggling a bit more walking and laying down the past 2 days. That's due to the condition in his legs, Hypertrophic Osteopathy, diagnosed a little over 2 months ago. It's progressive. His oncologist increased his Gabapentin from 500 mg every 8 hours, to 600 mg every 8 hours for pain. He tolerates it well,he isn't unsteady, and it seems to be helping.

In the meantime, his appetite is great (5-6 cans of dog food a day, plus treats), and he loves and demands his rides and walks, so he can see people, get treats, and get hugs and kisses.

002_zpsxrxqq7hl.jpg