Broken Leg

Glad to hear that Jake is home. When I brought Rocket home from some minor surgery, he was so out of it that he ran into the guest room and peed on his dog bed when I asked if he was ready to go outside. It happens!

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ouch, rough night indeed!! Yeah he's prolly peeing from all the meds and fluids and all those things. Do we get to see a pic of the poor chap?

Of course! I was posting everything to facebook because it's easier, but now Jake is resting and I'm on my laptop so I will put lots of photos of the process below.

Ah poor guy. I hate when meds do that to them. Maybe if you put pee pads in the bathroom your problem would be solved? I love pee pads. So glad he is doing well and resting good. He's such a good boy! :beatheart

We did that. He tends to move them around when shuffling to the bathroom, and has an uncanny way of missing them when peeing, but they are there :riphair

This was the leg before surgery:

rad%201_zpsrtwqkqcg.png

rad%203_zpssg0nzlgy.png

These are the post-op xrays

post%20op%201_zps6aylhht2.png

post%20op%202_zps6ug3rbj5.png

Him when we brought him home:

IMG_2978_zpsuhuzpulu.jpg

IMG_2979_zpsqsf35rur.jpg

And this morning:

IMG_2994_zpswcvscqwi.jpg

jakesigsmall_zps254e191c.jpg

Photographer in Phoenix, AZ www.northmountainphoto.com

Today has been kind of frustrating because he's just been peeing while laying down. He will sometimes try to get up but then just pee. We are trying to use pee pads, but he growls and tries snapping when we try to move him to change the pads. He is in a muzzle, but I do worry about hurting him. We are all just kind of frustrated. I'm worried about him laying in his own pee and that being unsanitary :( Anyone have any recommendations? I think at some point we are going to have to be a little tougher with him and make him get up, but he's still only 2 days out of surgery. He is getting up occasionally to change positions.

Criminy, that break makes my leg hurt just looking at it.......poor Jake. No wonder he's hurting & grumpy. Just remember, the first week is the absolute worst,

it'll get better. I have no other suggestions for the potty issues, but whatever works, you'll deal because you love him.

I do have a funny story about that "after surgery fluid issue" if you'd like a chuckle to brighten your day............A few years ago when Skeeter (40 lb beagle mix)

was still alive, he had a dental (was 13 at the time, Desi/10). He was so out of it I had to carry him home, & like Jake, was so full of fluid & peeing so much it

was astounding. That night - midnightish - Desi had a disaster - clot in a rear leg - had to take him to OhioState Emergency. What to do with Skeeter? Couldn't

leave him, he was anxious as all get out & still getting rid of all that fluid. So I just took him with. Got to the emergency room, they came out with stretcher & got

Desi, I followed, carrying Skeeter. That poor little boy was still so out of it & full of fluid that he peed down my front while I was carrying him in. I cannot imagine

what those folks thought of me sitting in the waiting room crying my eyes out, reeking of dog pee. It wasn't funny then, but I laugh at that memory now.

Best wishes that Jake improves quickly.

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.

If you are using acepromazine to help keep him quiet you may want to discontinue that drug (always speak with your vet/surgeon first). It could be making him too dopey to know when he has to go, and then unable to get up when he does realize it. Ace can make dogs act weird and aggressive at times as well. Greyhounds just don't do well on it, IMO.

Opioid pain relievers can also have this effect on some dogs.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I have no idea why I was thinking he might be in a cast....

Well if he's peeing on his bed/spot, can you makeshift something waterproof first so you don't have to keep changing the bed? Maybe put his bed in a very large garbage bag and then top it with lots of pee pads, then blankets and towels?

Maybe line the whole under area (like the carpet within the xpen) he's sleeping in with pee pads too. The pee pads for the most part should keep the urine under control and I presume he won't be laying in a puddle that way either? I'd also guess as long as the wound isn't laying right in the pee, it's safe to just not change it until he decides to move. While he's standing just change everything up really quick?

The poor boy, I wouldn't blame him for not wanting to get up.

Edited by XTRAWLD

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Wow! - Jake, you certainly went all the way with that one, buddy! Hope you are feeling better soon.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Can you up his pain meds?

I called the vet and they did just that. I don't know why his reluctance to get up and snapping didn't register as "pain" in my head, but the vet upped his tramadol from 2 every 12 hours to 3 every 8 hours. I am hoping that helps.

Criminy, that break makes my leg hurt just looking at it.......poor Jake. No wonder he's hurting & grumpy. Just remember, the first week is the absolute worst,

it'll get better. I have no other suggestions for the potty issues, but whatever works, you'll deal because you love him.

I do have a funny story about that "after surgery fluid issue" if you'd like a chuckle to brighten your day............A few years ago when Skeeter (40 lb beagle mix)

was still alive, he had a dental (was 13 at the time, Desi/10). He was so out of it I had to carry him home, & like Jake, was so full of fluid & peeing so much it

was astounding. That night - midnightish - Desi had a disaster - clot in a rear leg - had to take him to OhioState Emergency. What to do with Skeeter? Couldn't

leave him, he was anxious as all get out & still getting rid of all that fluid. So I just took him with. Got to the emergency room, they came out with stretcher & got

Desi, I followed, carrying Skeeter. That poor little boy was still so out of it & full of fluid that he peed down my front while I was carrying him in. I cannot imagine

what those folks thought of me sitting in the waiting room crying my eyes out, reeking of dog pee. It wasn't funny then, but I laugh at that memory now.

Best wishes that Jake improves quickly.

This did make me laugh :hehe I had to wear heels to work today because Jake peed all over my flats... time for new shoes I guess! (my husband is home with Jake)

I have no idea why I was thinking he might be in a cast....

Well if he's peeing on his bed/spot, can you makeshift something waterproof first so you don't have to keep changing the bed? Maybe put his bed in a very large garbage bag and then top it with lots of pee pads, then blankets and towels?

Maybe line the whole under area (like the carpet within the xpen) he's sleeping in with pee pads too. The pee pads for the most part should keep the urine under control and I presume he won't be laying in a puddle that way either? I'd also guess as long as the wound isn't laying right in the pee, it's safe to just not change it until he decides to move. While he's standing just change everything up really quick?

The poor boy, I wouldn't blame him for not wanting to get up.

Yeah they wouldn't have been able to cast it without doing a cast over his hips. I think it's probably better for healing to be open, but it makes it rough for sure. We are trying to do what you recommended as far as pee pads, but those little things have a way of moving all around when he does get up. We're doing lots of laundry and keeping him clean as best we can. Dog urine will just be our new air freshener scent for awhile...

Wow! - Jake, you certainly went all the way with that one, buddy! Hope you are feeling better soon.

We don't do anything halfway around here! :flip I was in contact with his former trainer from the track, and we both were shaking our heads at the fact that he ran 180 races and broke a toe or two, but goes to the dog park and does THIS!

When my friend's greyhound had a back injury that prevented him from walking she took a listerine bottle and...'arranged it' over his hoohoo to catch the pee. You could try something like that to help him stay clean.

Hope your handsome guy is soon feeling better!

Phoebe (Belle's Sweetpea) adopted 9/2/13.

Jack (BTR Captain Jack) 9/28/05--11/2/12
Always missing Buddy, Ruby, and Rascal.

I don't know if this would be available for dogs, but a condom catheter could help. If Jake is showing signs of irritation from laying in the urine, you might want to use a barrier cream or diaper cream to ease the irritation.

Hugs to everyone. Hope Jake is feeling less grouchy and groggy and more his own self today.

It seems to me that you guys are, at least, keeping your sense of humor. All the best to Jake for a smooth and compete healing.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest Loves4Greyz

I built these steps a year ago for Taylor.

​2" thick Styrofoam sheets from Home Depot, glued together, and carpeted.

004_zpsiks3stoi.jpg

IMG_1316_zpsec227324.jpg

Great idea. Will have to keep this in mind for the next accident as none of mine will use a ramp.

What a nasty break. Glad that there was no osteo and that he is on the road to recovery.

I would talk to your vet. Might need a different pain med. He'll probably feel a good bit better in 2-3 days.

Lots of hugs.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

We got him up. We just muzzled and put a towel over his head and lifted the bed til he got up. I know that sounds really harsh, but I didn't want him laying in his own pee anymore. He was mad about it but did get up and move to the clean bed. Now resting. This sucks!