Broken Leg

All good thoughts for your boy, and strength for you :grouphug When I needed him, Dr. Couto was traveling and still got back to me within less than a day.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh my goodness!!!!!! So sorry this happened to your boy. As the others said, I would get a second opinion from Dr. Couto (I'm leery about the "nutritional imbalance" bit), but it's entirely possible the break was just the result of the accident. Think of all the healthy greys that break bones on the track due to high speed collisions. Sending positive thoughts your way. :goodluck

Sending prayers and good thoughts across the ocean.

Sorry for butchering the english language. I try to keep the mistakes to a minimum.

Nadine with Paddy (Zippy Mullane), Saoirse (Lizzie Be Nice), Abu (Cillowen Abu) and bridge angels Colin (Dessies Hero) and Andy (Riot Officer).

He could have thin bones because he has thin bones, but having Dr. Cuoto take a look is money well spent.

Sending good thoughts for you and Jake. Please keep us posted.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Dr. Couto is such a wonderful person. I sent him the low res screenshot of the fracture, which is all I have, and got an out of office. However, he responded right away that he couldn't tell much from the photo except that it wasn't in an area usually associated with osteo and he'd be happy to do a consultation with better images.

jakesigsmall_zps254e191c.jpg

Photographer in Phoenix, AZ www.northmountainphoto.com

Dr. Couto is such a wonderful person. I sent him the low res screenshot of the fracture, which is all I have, and got an out of office. However, he responded right away that he couldn't tell much from the photo except that it wasn't in an area usually associated with osteo and he'd be happy to do a consultation with better images.

Excellent. He really is wonderful. Good luck!!

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Sending lots of good, healing thoughts. If he does loose his leg, he should do fine as a tripod. I'm also happy that Dr. C has already contacted you.

:goodluck:hope

Tin and Michael and Lucas, Picasso, Hero, Oasis, Galina, Neizan, Enzo, Salvo and Noor the Galgos.
Remembering Bridge Angel Greyhounds: Tosca, Jamey, Master, Diego, and Ambi; plus Angel Galgos Jules, Marco and Baltasar.

Sending all good thoughts. :hope:hope:hope

Just thinking, but the recovery time between an amp and a surgically repaired fracture is going to be way less. After two weeks, my boy was up and nearly his old self again following an amputation. But a fracture repair will involve months of casting, cast changes, bandaging and bandage changes, and then rehab. Most dogs do really well as tripods, and hardly take any time at all to adjust. It could be much cheaper, as well.

But whatever you decide to do will be the right thing for you and your family. {{{HUGS}}}

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Sending warm, healing thoughts. My MoMo broke a front leg just above the wrist when she was 3. I didn't see the incident but the timing points to an issue going down the stairs--all 3 hounds were jockeying to get into the back yard. Anyhow, it was a bad break. I could actually see her foot flopping and dangling. She has a plate and 6 screws and is going great guns now at 9. No osteo. Her recovery was smooth and took about 6 weeks. There was leash walking and crating and trips back to the surgeon but no real problems.

Whatever seems the best option for your Jake, I hope he'll heal swiftly and do just as well as Mo has.

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

I am glad you are consulting with Dr Couto, he is a wonderful person. It could be "just" a break, and I hope it is, but you want to be sure. I don't want to scare you, but I was told Sallie's was "just" a broken leg, but Dr C (and my own vet) saw the osteo right away :(

What ever happens, do NOT blame yourself! You have taken as good care of Jake as anyone possibly could, sometimes accidents happen.

:candle

Hugs.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

oh NO!!! sending Jake and you huge hugs :( :( :grouphug

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Saw the picture on Facebook. That is a nasty break! As someone already mentioned, recovery from an amp could be easier than recovery from such a bad break. Most dogs do fine on three legs. I have a twelve year old foster who digs holes and runs around the yard on three legs! I hope you have a vet that you trust. Hope you could get better images to Dr C. Don't blame yourself, and take care of yourself. Your dog will need you in either option. Hugs!