Broken Leg

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not much to update- they couldn't do the surgery today because the surgeon was booked and we looked into moving him to a different place but we couldn't find anywhere else to do it before the morning. we got him some Amicar to reduce bleeding and swelling, which is obviously a concern. we visited him and he is stable, very out of it but did know who we are. they said he kept trying to get up unless they sedate him heavily. that's Jake! We still haven't spoken to the surgeon, but they are talking like they will want to plate it. We ordered an extra large crate, since we don't have one, and are planning for a long recovery no matter what happens . Thank God for pet insurance!

jakesigsmall_zps254e191c.jpg

Photographer in Phoenix, AZ www.northmountainphoto.com

Sending hugs and healing thoughts.

Annette, mom to Banjo (AJN Spider Man) & Casey (kitty), wife to Roy. Mom to bridgekids: Wheat (GH), Icabod (GH), Scarlett (Cab's Peg Bundy), Rhett (Kiowa Day Juice), Dixie (Pazzo Dixie), Pogo/Gleason (Rambunctious), and Miriam (Miriam of Ruckus) and Spooky, Taffy, Garfield, & Lefty (kitties)

Sorry you and jake have to go through this. It's hard for both parties. I've have a couple of dogs in the past that have had to go through healing of bad broken legs. I have to say using a large x-pen has been extremely helpful, the wire ones that are made of multiple large panels. They give the dog a little more room to get up and turn around, they are easier to go into, and can be made large enough that the human can get in with dog to cuddle, etc. I have found them more convenient to use then a crate, which I also have. Just a thought.

siggy2.jpg

Thanks for the replies. I thought about an x pen, but I think he is going to be a PITA about this confinement thing and I worry about him trying to jump- not right away but after he's feeling better! We got a HUGE crate. Sent radiographs to Dr. Couto, he said no evidence of thinning or cancer- something to be grateful for! Also said to try repair if surgeon thinks he can do it. He looked at them over a layover- class act!

Edited by NeedlenoseJake

jakesigsmall_zps254e191c.jpg

Photographer in Phoenix, AZ www.northmountainphoto.com

From the other side of recovery, MoMo is doing great 6 years later with a plate and 6 screws. Sending all good thoughts to you and Jake.

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

Good update and great news from Dr. Couto. You guys continue to be in my thoughts. Hugs to you and :kiss2 to handsome Jake.

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

So relieved to hear Dr. Couto's report. He is just the best. I'll be watching for updates, please know that we are all pulling for Jake and his hoomans as you travel this road together.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Glad to hear Dr. Cuoto's report. That has to be a load off your mind.

He will be back to being his old self before you know it. These dogs amaze me with the way they bounce back.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

sending many many good thoughts for Jake

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross