Broken Leg

Glad to hear the surgery went smoothly. Will be watching for updates and keeping Jake in my prayers.

Cosmo (Fuzz Face Cosmos), Holmes (He's a Dream), Boomer (USS Baby Boomer), Ella and missing our angels Clay (Red Clay), Train (Nite Train), Trip (Bock's Teddy Bear),Larry (Bohemian Frigid) and Jimmy (Bohemian Raw)

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So relieved to see that Jake's surgery was successful.

Just a comment re: ex-pens. Helps to secure the ex-pen since they can collapse if the dog tries to jump or hits the pen's side too hard. Some people wedge ex-pens against walls, low heavy furniture, etc. Some use Bungee cords to gently secure ex-pens. Although we're extremely careful when doing this, for hounds' leg injuries, we use the entire gate panel as the entry/exit to avoid the hound dealing with a narrow gate + step over. That said, using the actual gate is safer to keep the ex-pen properly balanced.

Positive healing thoughts for Jake's recovery.

I secure my pen to closet door knobs and furniture. I don't use the step over narrow door. I have six ex pens. I use them to divide my goat pen, protect the garden, make a small potty area within the dog yard, and around gates. I have some that don't have that built in gate, and prefer those. That gate can be dangerous. I removed that panel from a couple of pens, but had other uses for them to make cleaning the rabbit cage easier. For rehab purposes, I secure the pen in such a way that I can swing away two panels to let the dog in and out, instead of using that narrow opening. You will figure out what works best in your situation. Good luck!

Sounds like you've got a good plan & some helpful tools to get you through the first part of recovery. Expect to have some unexpected difficulties in the first days. Oddly, sometimes the big issues don't turn out to be as much hassle as expected. Yet, a combination of smaller things can really start to frazzle your nerves. Once you've got a system in place it all gets easier.

When using an xpen for foster dogs or with dogs known to paw at side panels, I have a narrow gauge PVC pipe frame attached around the top of the pen with zipties. Could easily be done with light lumber, like 1x2. I use a frame primarily because of the location of the xpen & lack of convenient attachment points. The frame is just to prevent accidental collapse, like when getting a dog into or out of the pen. If I had a recouping dog who was messing with the side panels enough that I feared xpen movement or collapse then I'd ditch the xpen idea & stick with crating.

Good luck today. Hope the road to recovery is smooth.

When I had the x-pen set up for Sallie, I covered the floor space with washable pee pads, then an old dog bed covered in old towels. I braced the pen on the outside with some small heavy things so it would tip or move when she bumped into the sides. Agree with the others, don't try to use the built in gate, open one whole panel. :bighug

I use tops on all of my x-pens to make them secure - it will keep Jake from attempting to jump out and will also prevent the x-pen from collapsing. Mid west makes an x-pen top that has a lip fits securely over the edges or you can also use an x-pen panel (4 x 4) as a top. Either way, you use snap bolts to secure the top to the pen. Sending healing thoughts for a speedy recovery!!

They said he is doing very well and we can take him home tonight! I am excited but also scared :wacko: I hope we can get into a groove and do the best we can for him. We won't have to leave him alone at all until next Monday, and then as long as he is doing well. He is my patient and I am determined that he will get better! :gh_bow

jakesigsmall_zps254e191c.jpg

Photographer in Phoenix, AZ www.northmountainphoto.com

Great that he is doing so well!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

First morning is going well, he's just sleeping. First night was pretty rough! He had to pee a TON. Like more than I thought it was possible to pee. He kept whining to the point of screaming because he wanted to go out. We finally took him out once and had to carry him back. We came to a solution when he went to our bathroom and peed on the floor there... Not carpeted so we'll take it. He just knows not to pee inside and he's trying so hard to be a good boy! The last time he was so out of it (ace) that he walked to the corner and peed all over the pillow I was using... But things are washable and he's not replaceable. Swelling and wound oozing are already improved.

jakesigsmall_zps254e191c.jpg

Photographer in Phoenix, AZ www.northmountainphoto.com