Broken Leg

I posted this on Facebook, but now it's 3 am and I can't sleep. Jake broke one of his rear femurs last night. We were at the dog park, late as it always is so that we can be alone. It was on his first run and I think he ran into a bench. We were initially worried about some bleeding, but then he refused to put any weight on it. It's a really bad break, the x rays are just sickened- multiple pieces. They don't know if they can save the leg. The surgeon is calling us in the morning. My silly boy was still trying to jump off the exam table! I just want him to be his goofy self again and I'm so worried. I asked about cancer and the vet said it didn't look like it. He did say the bone looked thin, maybe from a nutritional imbalance, which makes me feel like it's all my fault. I'll take any thoughts or prayers or good juju that you have to spare... I know sometimes it can feel silly top write good thoughts for someone you've never met, miles away, but already your kind words on Facebook have helped me feel better. I know you guys can appreciate how scared I am. End of 3 am rambling...

jakesigsmall_zps254e191c.jpg

Photographer in Phoenix, AZ www.northmountainphoto.com

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good thoughts for Jake and you. I would encourage a second opinion on the films as breaking a leg is a telltale sign of Osteo. Hoping it is not that but it's better to know now than later. Amp of the leg is a major surgery but tripods are awesome and love life to the fullest irregardless of missing a leg. Truly hope it's just a freaky break and it can be mended.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Poor Jake!

Even I would wince at your vet's comment regarding "nutritional imbalance". That's pretty harsh for a quick look at an xray.

Please consider contacting Dr Couto and having him review the xays and any lab tests. It could make a big difference in how you go forward with treatment.

:grouphug

http://www.coutovetconsultants.com/

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Oh dear. I hate to say it, but if it looks like a duck and it quacks like a duck....

The odds that your greyhound's leg broke doing nothing in particular and it's NOT osteo are fairly slim. I hope with every fiber of my being that I am dead wrong.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Hugs to you and Jake. Hope things look better this morning and you can go forward with what ever you need to do for your boy. Wishing you the best.

Mom to Ranger (PB's Long Ranger), Esso (Kiowa Stay Over) and Cookie the rattie mix

Missing Kahn (Gil's Khan) 10-29-03 - 11-7-16  Belle (Regall Belooow) 8-9-07 - 3-12-17  Star (Greyt Star) 1-19-07 - 3-13-2020  Pitch (Emerald Pitch) 4-1-08 - 6-3-2020

I was dogsitting a wonderful boy named Archie. I wanted to take one of my girls to the vet for an eye check and bring everyone along. Archie loved car rides. So I shuffle everyone into the garage and go to lift the tailgate of the SUV when Archie jumped. The tailgate wasn't open yet. He bounced off and fell. It was a short fall. Just a couple of feet. But a very poor angle and he shattered his elbow.

He lost his leg. No OS.

That was 2 yrs ago. Once past the trauma he returned to his normal self. He loves running around my back yard chasing chickens. He's learned that he can't chase my girls when they are in full run, but is able to join in at his own speed. He can do 5 steps without issue but does prefer the ramp I have (I made it when my Diamond had OS, years ago). The only thing different is that he is hesitant about not carpeted floors now. He'll still do them, but prefers the runners.

It doesn't necessarily mean OS. And even if he loses his leg, he'll be fine. The first two weeks are the worst. Hold on. It gets much much much better.

Osteo is of course a huge concern, but he was running full speed and hit... Something. I think a bench. It happened quickly and was dark out, but there was only a bench and a tree in the way. Does anyone know the turnaround time for Dr. Couto?

Unless he is travelling at the time, it could very well be the same day for a response.

OMG I seen the 'broken leg' subject line and I seen it was Jake's mom and I thought oh NO, it can't be. I'm so sorry. Please don't jump to the conclusion it is anything more than a horrible accident. They run so fast with so much force it is ENTIRELY possible it was shattered in a collision or even a bad step from something. Slim actually got a tibial crest fracture from beginning to turn from standing still even and it had nothing to do with the c word. Mostly though PLEASE don't feel down on yourself. THERE IS NOTHING YOU COULD HAVE DONE TO PREVENT IT. Accidents happen-especially with our high speed houndies. If you kept them in bubble wrap and never let them run then they would just die prematurely from the psychological effects of that. They were born to run-you have got to let them. Even if they have to amputate you will still have to let him run as a tripod. Been there. Dogs have a spare leg as Dr. Cuoto says so if that appears to be the best option do it. Ivy was a happy dog and would still run with me as a tripod. We were running one day and she looked back at me and said " Come ON! I've only got 3 legs and you STILL can't keep up." You two will get through this. Whatever Jake has to get through your love will carry him and give him the strength he needs to get through it like the champ he is. He is a lucky houndie to have you! Sending hugs, love and positive energy, and prayers!

So sorry you're going through this--I wouldn't be able to sleep either! What a shock. Sending good thoughts for Jake's recovery. :grouphug

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

Sending you and Jake many healing thoughts :goodluck

Clare with Tiger (Snapper Gar, b. 18/05/2015), and remembering Ken (Boomtown Ken, 01/05/2011-21/02/2020) and Doc (Barefoot Doctor, 20/08/2001-15/04/2015).

"It is also to be noted of every species, that the handsomest of each move best ... and beasts of the most elegant form, always excel in speed; of this, the horse and greyhound are beautiful examples."----Wiliam Hogarth, The Analysis of Beauty, 1753.

Many, many good thoughts! Of course osteo is a concern. Reading the title I had the same thoughts other have expressed. That said, I know someone whose dogs were running along the fenceline at a dog park. It was a chain link fence & one of the dogs got bumped into the fence. They think she must have hit a fence post. The leg was very badly broken. They faced the worries & decisions, fix it or amputate, it sounds like you're facing. Long story short, it wasn't osteo, they opted to attempt repair, & the dog recovered very well. It was a long road but she was fine.

Whatever your choice, I wish you all the best. AND... It wasn't your fault. It wasn't. Remember that. Not. Your. Fault.

If you've already paid the fee for the consult, there's a voice mail number. You could at least leave a message regarding the urgency.

VM: 614-664-9177

FAX: 614-851-0650

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png