Broken Leg

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hope all is going well.

Miss "England" Carol with whippet lurcher Nutmeg & Zavvi the Chihuahua.

R.I.P. Chancey (Goosetree Chance). 24.1.2009 - 14.4.2022. Bluegrass Banjoman. 25.1.2004 - 25.5.2015 and Ch. Sleepyhollow Aida. 30.9.2000 - 10.1.2014.

He is out of surgery and they said everything went well. They were able to save the leg. We would have gone with amputation if we had to, but were hoping to avoid it. They are sending out pathology just in case. They couldn't get all of the fragments back together, so that leg may be just a little shorter than the other. This guy raced for 3+ years and yet he broke his leg running at the dog park! We hope to be able to take him home tomorrow night.

jakesigsmall_zps254e191c.jpg

Photographer in Phoenix, AZ www.northmountainphoto.com

Wow, I just saw this! How scary! Glad the surgery went well.

Just so you know, this was in no way your fault. Things happen. Bridge Angel Loca broke her leg while being taken for a walk.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

So now onto recovery.... I bought a huge crate and planning on getting an x pen. Any recommendations on the height? Also, would something like this work for a lift if needed?

https://www.ryanspet.com/HA21005

Lorinda offered to let me use hers, but I will already be going to Ryan's so I might just pick this up if they have it. I am taking off work his first day home, and Jesse can take off the next day, then the weekend... then we'll see... Honestly I'm excited to get over this and start the recovery so he can be my silly boy again!

jakesigsmall_zps254e191c.jpg

Photographer in Phoenix, AZ www.northmountainphoto.com

That's all good news! As long as it heals well, a small difference in leg length won't bother him. Sending positive thoughts for an uneventful recovery that is as quick as possible.

To help him initially, you can just use a towel under his chest or belly rather than buying something. If you have a regular walking harness, that should work well & could be left on.

For my uses, 42" has been the sweet spot for xpen height. It's tall enough to discourage the majority of hounds from jumping, though not all. And it fits inside most vehicles, in one way or another, in case you had to take him somewhere. (That may not matter during his recovery but could be a nice feature for future use.)

Love Beachbum's steps! That's great for loading & unloading at home. The price was probably right as well.

That's all good news! As long as it heals well, a small difference in leg length won't bother him. Sending positive thoughts for an uneventful recovery that is as quick as possible.

To help him initially, you can just use a towel under his chest or belly rather than buying something. If you have a regular walking harness, that should work well & could be left on.

For my uses, 42" has been the sweet spot for xpen height. It's tall enough to discourage the majority of hounds from jumping, though not all. And it fits inside most vehicles, in one way or another, in case you had to take him somewhere. (That may not matter during his recovery but could be a nice feature for future use.)

Love Beachbum's steps! That's great for loading & unloading at home. The price was probably right as well.

Total cost was around $80.00. The pieces (cut at Home Depot which is a good way to do it since cutting creates a MESS), adhesive, and remnant carpet.

What a relief to see the news about surgery. I'd recommend not lifting him and try to get stairs or a ramp but that's just me. I had a harness for Kasey to help him get up when he couldn't. It supports his front and back end. Got it off etsy and it might take a few days for you to order and receive, but might be worth it! It's custom fit too, it's lightweight and he can wear it 24/7 which is important when he needs a lift and is already down and you can't get the harness onto him https://www.etsy.com/listing/225448995/greyhound-assistance-harness?ref=related-0

Edited by XTRAWLD

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Way to go Jake! I'm glad to hear the surgery went well.

Wish I could offer to come and help you get him home but I just had surgery and can't lift anything. Make sure you have some extra hands around if you can, just in case you need to help lifting or carrying him to in the house.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Wishing Jake and his humans an easy, uneventful and fast recovery.

This link is to a very interesting article on adaptogenic herbs that have myriad benefits for dogs under stress for varying conditions; injury and healing, old age, and, remarkably, cancer.

http://animalwellnessmagazine.com/herbs-for-stress/

I can speak to the effectiveness and safety of rhodiola in humans.

So glad to see your update tonight. What a long day for you, I hope you get some rest tonight before Jake comes home tomorrow :goodluck I have a 36"H canvas x-pen that has been invaluable for my senior rehabs. Even with a younger hound, I've never had anyone try to jump out of it. I'm glad you have one!

Sleep tight Jake, you'll be home soon.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

I'm so glad you had good news from Dr. Couto and that they were able to repair the leg.

Go Jake!

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Great update!!

FWIW, I so appreciated having our amputee (I know you're not doing this, but he will still have a learning curve) stay a couple extra days in the hospital. That way, the techs do the really heavy lifting of the first days getting used to the cast, going potty, getting pain meds right, and any follow ups that are needed. You might consider it if the cost isn't too steep and he's doing OK there.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly