Romie "prime Force" Feb 15, 2004 - Oct 18, 2013

EllenEveBaz

In analyzing Romie’s (Prime Force) racing record, Dmdsmoxie on this board said he was an exciting runner because he could figure out how to get to the front from any position. Romie was always watching and figuring things out. He never made one wrong move from the day he arrived to the day he had to leave.

He stayed at the GFNC adoption kennel for almost a year. When I arrived and asked who needed a home the most, they said it was “Force.” Not a thing wrong with him, they said, just very quiet, black, getting some white on his face, and people walked right by him. Other people’s loss; my gain.

He was very quiet and reserved. Not shy, but not outgoing. He’d come up to people, sniff and say hi, and then go back to observing. Except for kids – he loved kids. He was civil to other dogs but didn’t play much. He didn’t interact much with most people, either, but you learned his signs. He’d come up behind you and touch his nose to your left elbow – always the left – to signal that he wanted pets. He was always the first dog to move with me when I walked to another room. In the last year, he did start cuddling on the couch occasionally – he’d lie down so his back and shoulders were next to my hand, and make satisfied little grunty sounds in his sleep. Sometimes he was goofy and playbowed to me. When we moved to this house, he would come charging through the dog door and into the kitchen, skid on the kitchen tile, and end up sliding across the floor to BANG into the cabinets. After a few incidents like that, he decided the kitchen floor was Evil and didn’t want to step on it. This was a problem, since his bowl stand was just inside the kitchen doorway. We worked out a compromise where I put a runner just touching the threshold and he stood as far back as possible and leaned that long neck forward and ate.

He didn’t like to get his fur brushed, and would try to disappear on grooming days. He always came when called and endured it, however. He refused to hang out on the patio with the other dogs and me, and I wonder if that was because that was the fur brushing place. He’d go in the dog door, lie on the rug, and watch through the sliding glass door. Same with teeth brushing. He never objected when I showed up toothbrush in hand, but when I tried to save time by brushing the dogs’ teeth when they accompanied me to the bathroom, he simply stopped coming in the bathroom.

When we moved to our current home with a large yard, I had a 5-ft chain length fence installed. Soon, I began to see places where the fence bowed out from the inside. I was puzzled – I knew the dogs wouldn’t be charging the fence at other dogs or people. I finally figured it must be Mr. High Prey Drive’s ramming into the fence in pursuit of squirrels, rabbits, and groundhogs. He caught more than his fair share, and passed his hunting lore on to Milo. They made a formidable mini-pack. I can just hear Romie telling Milo the dog version of “Watch and learn, little grasshopper.”

Romie’s increasingly white fur just added to his handsomeness. He came to me with his fur thin and kind of motheaten, but once we figured out what food agreed with him, the fur grew back thick and soft. It didn't have the high gloss of some black dogs, but people petting him would exclaim over its bunny softness. He loved to have his ribcage stroked, and have me tell him that he was so soft and strong.

The far corner of the L-shaped sectional sofa was his; he’d lie with his back against the corner and raise his head just enough to scan the back yard hill through the window. He could change from sleepy koala to sleek black streak of a hunter in a heartbeat, flying out the dog door.

He lived perfectly within my rules, but on his own terms. I will miss him always. Farewell, dark prince.

Edited by EllenEveBaz

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Such a beautiful tribute to your boy. I am so sorry that he had to leave you.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Godspeed, sweet boy.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I am so sad and sorry to read this. Take comfort in know that your boy is at peace with the angels.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Ellen, I am so sad for you and the rest of us who loved him from far away. I'm so very sorry :groouphug

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Lovely tribute for your wonderful dog. Those quiet ones really are a Force to reckoned with, aren't they? I am so very sorry for your loss. I imagine your house is more quiet than you ever thought.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

I'm sorry for your loss. It's amazing how they all find their unique ways of grabbing our hearts. Sweet tribute to your handsome roman nosed companion.

CollageSnap

<p>Finn, Wink, Birdie, Snap and SmokeyJG Quicknfast 7/25/99-5/16/08, JG Quickwink 7/25/99-9/22/13, Iruska SweetDuv 7/19/03-11/9/16, Delbar 6/11/11 and Catahoula Smokey

I'm so sorry for your loss. He sounds like a wonderful friend. I'm so glad you found each other.

Kendra, devoted walker of Henry (Tom Jones: Great Son x Lucia)

Missing Badger (Vf Get R Done: Quicksand Slip x Ll Tee el See), 5/04 - 2/14, who opened our hearts and our home to greyhounds; Kenzie (Slatex Kenzie: Randy Handy x Slatex Chrisy), 4/03 - 10/14, who really knew what a good dog she was; Falcon (Atascocita Sabat: Dodgem by Design x Atascocita Barb), 9/10 - 1/20, who was grumpy and snarky but eventually a little bit cuddly, too; Grandpa Grey the Galgo Español, 2008 (?) to 2022, who made us feel lucky to be the ones to teach him about pet life; and Lucia (Larking About x Anastasia, 5/12 to 8/23), our first brood matron and the sweetest speckly girl. 

Your tribute is beautiful, I feel as tho I know Romie as a friend. What a life you shared together and how well you understood each other. Those are true gifts. I read your other thread and was hoping, so hoping that there would be a favorable outcome. I am so sorry you've lost your good bud. :grouphug

Godspeed Romie. The floors at the Bridge aren't scary.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Such a lovely tribute! I'm so very sorry for your loss. :grouphug

:gh_run2

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Many of us had been following your thread, and hoping for a different outcome. I'm so glad you found each other, and so sorry you lost your precious boy.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown