Gracie 5/8/01-2/4/13

FiveRoooooers

Gracetoofers3_zps01823e6d.jpg

Why do the brightest, most brilliant stars shine for the shortest time? We are devastated and our hearts are shattered, as we had to help our Gracie, The Girl With The Twirl, on her journey last night.

Translated, Gracie means joy. Gracie was sent to me by Pal and MiMi when my heart was so desperately sad. For a little over three months, she brought healing and tremendous joy to our lives. A friend said “By Grace are you saved. Gracie is now saved.” A brown and white cow doggie, she was the first non-brindle we had ever loved. She possessed traits from each of our departed campers: Pal’s chatter, Segugio’s ears (sometimes) and intent stare, Zeke-aroni’s broken tail, LadyBug’s incredible overbite, MiMi’s attitude and vocabulary (Grrrrrr). Gracie. Her quirky smile and absolute exuberance for life. She was “a three-year-old in an eleven year old’s body.” Those huge, bright eyes, and soft beautiful fur. Her relentless (unsuccessful) pursuit to engage Sorella to play, how she waved her paws at you when you had a really special treat in front of her, how she could catch treats over and over with incredible accuracy, her amazing sit and bed fails, how she chattered, how she loved to chase her own tail! How she twirled…

GracieKong2_zpsee4deedb.jpg

RCOMtreat2_zpsdfab3ec6.jpg

Graciepossumsleep2_zps1978b303.jpg

Gracie111_zps7257d460.jpg

Gracie222_zps046634d8.jpg

Graciepawlub5_zps23a64fde.jpg

Poodlerescue3_zps82df6448.jpg

GracieKennelWithMom2_zps3bbdfda1.jpg

Gracie :beatheart

"Gracie has brought peace and healing to our camp and we are so happy she is here."

http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php/topic/291364-gracie-is-here-welcome-to-camp-greyhound/unread/

http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php/topic/293321-gracie-our-new-alarm-clock/

http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php/topic/292932-gracie-waits-for-santa/

http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php/topic/292670-gift-wrappin-gracies-big-week-end-adventures/

Her first family didn’t want her. She found her way to Meri, who loved her and gave her the care she needed. Then she found her way to me. I will never forget sitting in my car waiting for her to arrive, and seeing the look on her face as she was standing up, intently watching over Meri’s shoulder, as they drove into the parking lot. The girl LOVED her car rides. And walks. Coming back from walks I would say “Gracie, home” and she would turn straightaway into the driveway. She knew. :heart She was just beginning to settle in and swim with the other campers. This week, she gave me my first real kiss. She survived a second, complicated dental that healed beautifully. Our vet said “This just isn’t fair.” :brokenheart

http://s1185.photobucket.com/albums/z360/5Roooooers/?action=view&current=Graciebath2.mp4

She hadn’t been right this past week. Just not herself. She was seen on Friday and we decided to try a course of Metacam. Saturday she woke up much brighter in her face, although still a bit unsteady behind. Sunday she began to fall, until eventually she had no use of her hind legs. She spent Monday at clinic (where, I have to say with utmost gratitude, they treat my dogs as their own), and Monday evening Gracie told me that she was ready. If she couldn't twirl and on her terms, she wasn't going to fight. I can’t stop crying, but …

We should celebrate her life, the absolute JOY with which she lived, and twirled. Gracie, who would twirl, just because she could. Godspeed sweetheart, momma loved you with all of her heart. Thank you for the joy you brought to our Camp and to so many others who loved you.

JOY_zps8d877daf.jpg

Graciebeam4cherish_zps629bc1b2.jpg

A butterfly lights beside us like a sunbeam
And for a brief moment its glory
and beauty belong to our world.

But then it flies again
And though we wish it could have stayed ...
We feel so lucky to have seen it.
(Thank you for this.)

Edited by FiveRoooooers

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest IrskasMom

You had quiet your share of Sadness. I am so sorry , Gracie left a hole in your Heart. Godspeed sweet Girl :f_pink

Edited by IrskasMom

You gave Gracie so much love and happiness; enough to carry her softly to eternity.

I am so sorry for your loss. You both deserved more time together. :( I never had the good fortune to meet her but I felt her tremendous spirit whenever anyone spoke of her. She was an amazing old gal. I'm so grateful she spent her last days on this earth with you and your pack.

Oh no Gracie :(

I know you burned so bright you had to go be up in the sky. We're all going to miss you.

sig%20march%2015_zpsgicdhakq.jpg
Wingnut (DC Wingnut), Voo Doo (Voo Doo von Bonz), Barb (Myokie Barb) & Romey (Nose Stradamus)
at the bridge Molly (CM Blondie) 9/8/14, Maddy (Reuniting) 10/17/13, Rocky (Ranco Popeye) 1/7/12, Mimi (Flying Ringneck) 8/13/09 and RJ (RJ What For) 5/3/05

Jan, my heart is breaking with yours at Gracie's passing. Your joyful, twirling girl has left you far too early but every moment she spent with you was a special time for Gracie. She was meant to come to you at a time she was needed most. Gracie discovered that a loving, caring home was waiting for her at Camp Greyhound and every twirl illustrated her happiness and joy with you.

Rest easy beautiful girl and twirl to your heart's content.

:f_pink:f_pink

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

Oh Jan.....tears for all of you here......my heart just breaks for you. How lucky Gracie was to have you and you her even for such a short time.

:grouphug:grouphug :grouphug

Godspeed Twirling Gracie :beatheart

gtsigtest5-31-1-1.jpg?t=1338477409
Mom to Emmi (WM Lickety Split) & Asia (Devious Walker)
Waiting at the Bridge: Shadow, Willow, Tony, Nina, Reggie, Sunny, Webb, Rosie, Rowdy, Ivy, Smoke & Raina

I'm so sorry you didn't get to enjoy each other's love and company for longer. And yet, I'm glad you had so much fun in your short time together.

Godspeed, sweetheart.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I am so sorry for your loss. Your tribute was beautiful and it is hard for me to type because I have tears in my eyes. Hugs to you.

Patty,

Mom to Jaxson 5/12/2017

Forever in my heart: Joey 11/01/2007 to 12/06/2018, Scout 11/19/2005 to 07/15/15 and Jack 01/03/2004 to 06/11/2011

Oh Jan, I'm so very sorry. I have no words but know that her memories will keep you warm for the rest of your life. Godspeed Gracie.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest budsmom

Words fail me. What a special girl and special gift she was. You were each there for the other when you needed each other the most. I'm sure that Gracie is still there, in spirit, twirling happily and watching over all of you.

Oh, Jan, my heart is broken for you. I am just so incredibly sad. Hugs to you, my friend.

Cindy

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

How incredibly sad that you lost this unique and precious girl way too soon. I'm so sorry.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Oh NOooooooooooo! oh I am so very sorry. I can tell you how much I enjoyed your stories of her, it was clear that she was so happy in your home. Godspeed, Gracie.

Camp Broodie with tuxedo Summer 12 and tuxedo Dio 6

Missing KC Kitty 2000-2016, Myka and part of my heart 2006-2020, and Saint YellBoy 2014-2020

I am so very sorry.

My sweet angel Tanner-"Showoffs Magic" 79D-82695. DOB 7/22/99. Gotcha Day 6/20/05. Bridge Day 3/11/10. Big Beautiful Brave Angel Norm-"Showoffs Storm" 89B-83263. DOB 8/16/99. Gotcha Day 3/24/06. Bridge Day 4/20/13. Angel Girl Bree-"Breezy Betty" 201A-93631. DOB 2/05/01. Gotcha Day 5/11/10. Bridge Day 10/07/11. She reached the beach.... Maci-"CF's Owhatanite" 44H-29320. DOB 10/05/04. Gotcha Day 10/11/11. Greta-"Greta's Milam" 90B-54582. DOB 9/17/10. Gotcha Day 11/30/12. Bridge Day 03/30/17. Ben-"P Kay Key Train" 63A-61271. DOB 6/2/13. Gotcha Day 12/26/15.

I'm so very sorry :cry1 :cry1 she looks so like our angel Rainey. :cry1

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Jan, I am so very sorry. I know how much joy she brought to you and your home. This is heartbreaking.

Run free Gracie, run free sweetie... :gh_run

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.