Tristan's Experience With Osteosarcoma & Amputation

Guest patterpaws

(((HUGS))) I am so sorry! I am going through this as well. I am so sorry that it looks like you are also going down the Osteo path. I hate this disease. Your Tristan is so adorable! Please give him hugs too.

Mom to Macho (JS XtremeMachine 1/12/2007 -8/17/2012 ... Gotcha day 9/2/2011. I miss you BigMan)
Moonbeam (Ninos Full Moon 11/1/2009, Gotcha day 9/2/2012), Hattie (Kiowa Hats Off 4/14/2011, Gotcha day 10/13/2012), Keiva (JS Igotyourbooty 1/12/2007, Gotcha Day 1/8/2014)
Jimmy (Blu Too James 06/26/2014, Gotcha day 09/12/2015)
, a shepard mix named Tista, some cats, and some reptiles.

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm so sorry...I didn't want to say it either but the head of the humerus looks suspect :(

I'm a 2 time member of the osteo club...my Pinky underwent amputation 8 months ago and we followed it with carboplatin from OSU (God bless them for that!). She is doing great and is now on a metronomic protocol that she will take for the rest of her life, thankfully it is very inexpensive.

Visit us in the osteo threads and do your research. There is no right or wrong answer - you have to do what is best for Tristan and for you. :grouphug

Oh, wanted to add, Pinky turned 9 in April. She was 8 when she had the surgery. We did use Amicar starting the day of her surgery and continuing for 5 days after - it helped mitigate the bruising and blood pooling.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Unfortunately I've been there, too. I'm SO sorry.

The Osteo thread in health and medical is a wonderful resource - it's full of knowledgable and really supportive people.

I hope you have lots of time to spoil your beautiful boy rotten.

Valerie w/ Cash (CashforClunkers) & Lucy (Racing School Dropout)
Missing our gorgeous Miss
Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

I'm sorry. :(

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

I'm sorry to hear your news. :(

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Your boy is stunning.

Although a novice, I also noticed the area in question, but it didn't seem terribly obvious, either.

Also, it may be because of a different person's verbiage, but when I sent Twiggy's x-rays to OSU a year ago, I received a much more definitive statement regarding their confidence of osteo - maybe that is in indication that (if indeed osteo) it is still very early??

I chose amp/chemo for Twiggy, but I wouldn't necessarily for another dog - I would evaluate each individually. What I mean to say is, whatever you decide to do is going to be the right decision.

I am so sorry you are going through this. Please join us over in the Osteo Thread if you like - it's the club no one wants to apply to, and sadly, seems to be growing by leaps & bounds lately.

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

I'm so sorry to see this. I will continue to add your sweet boy to my prayers.

Mary, mom to kitty Rebel.
Always missing Sherri (SO DELICIOUS) (12/6/2005-8/29/2018) kitties Marley (4/2000-12/3/2015) and Beady (4/1998-2/24/2006) and Dalmatian Daisy (7/25/1984-5/13/1999).

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work

and give to those who would not - Thomas Jefferson

I am so very sorry. Whatever you decide to do will be the best decision for your handsome man.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

Gosh what a gorgeous boy! I'm so sorry you didn't get better news. :grouphug

Edited by galgrey

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Well, I haven't heard back from our local vet/radiologist, but I got a reply from OSU. What a wonderful program, I can't believe they are able to offer consultations for free. Not so great news though:

Dear Sarah - Unfortunately these xrays look suspicious for bone cancer, I do see a mild moth-eaten appearance at the head of the right humerus (the bone that goes into the shoulder joint). An additional xray may clarify things - take the same shot as xray #1, but on the other (left) leg, pull the leg forward and take an xray of the shoulder joint. Then, the two can be compared and the difference can be more clearly noted. The only way to definitively diagnose osteosarcoma (OSA) is via a bone biopsy, but, we do worry about side effects from this test.

Attached are a couple of articles about bone tumors in Greyhounds with info about treatment options. If you and your vet think that amputation and chemotherapy is a good option, and you are interested, we can provide injectable chemotherapy (carboplatin) at no cost.

If surgery is an option, we recommend the use of aminocaproic acid (Amicar) to decrease the risk of post operative bleeding (Greyhounds may bleed 24-48 h after amputation). The dose that we use here is 500mg orally every 8 hours for 5 days starting the day of the surgery. This drug is available in pharmacies. If your vet has any questions, he/she can contact us.

Please let us know how Tristan is doing.

Christine Kellogg, MS DVM

We are getting pain medicine from our local vet asap. My husband is going over to their office to get some meds since they haven't given us a call back yet. I think we'll have the 2nd xray done, but its not looking good and I feel with his symptoms and xray, the writing is on the wall. I feel so very overwhelmed right now. Reading through the Osteo threads and doing tons of research. Sounds like we have to determine if its spread to the lungs before we'll know if he's an amputation candidate. Its very hard to concentrate at work today.

Thank you so much for all the support, you guys are wonderful. :grouphug

I wanted to say what an absolutely handsome boy you have.

My Joe had osteo in the same place. I don't know if it means anything at all but his x-ray looked considerably worse and he survived for 20 happy months post amputation. I live in Columbus, Ohio so I was able to have the fine vets at OSU take care of my sweet Joe Joe.

Just a couple of notes. OSU typically does not recommend doing a biopsy due to the risk of breaking the bone. This would mean that you would have to immediately do an amputation or euthanize. Instead, they sometimes recommend an ultrasound guided fine needle aspirate if they feel they can't make a diagnosis. This test is not as definitive as a bone biopsy, but it is much safer.

If you decide to do amputation, be sure to have it done at a hospital with 24/7 vet care (an actual vet physically present 24/7), preferably in an ICU environment. OSU has determined that most greyhounds who don't survive the first week after surgery had their surgery in a facility that doesn't provide this kind of care. OSU typically keeps the greyhounds in ICU for at least 3 days. They receive Amicar for 5 days. Most vets are not familiar with this drug. It is only used in sighthounds. OSU has a good paper on it if your vet is interested.

If you decide not to amputate, there are others who can provide insight. NeylasMom is one who comes to mind. There are treatments that improve quality of life if you don't amputate. These include pain medications (tramadol, gabapentin, and an NSAID), radiation, pamidronate, chemo, and many alternative therapies. Statistics do show that amputation and chemo still provide the longest median time of survival, but this isn't always the best choice. It depends on so many things. Only you can make that decision for your boy.

We will support you, no matter what course of treatment you feel is best.

Jane

Tristan is a very handsome boy.

I'm sorry to hear about OSU's suspicions. I hope for a miracle.

Edited by GreyPoopon

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

I am so sorry. :(

Read (everything you can find) and take a little time to make your decision on what protocol to follow, but don't take too long. Best survival depends on catching this before it spreads, as you already know. Also talk to your vet about whether they have experience in treating cancers with chemo. It's always best to have the most skilled help on this job!

I wish you and Tristan an easy journey and a long time together. We can tell by those photos how much you love each other!

:bighug

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Guest patterpaws

Thank you so much for all the advice and support, each and every one of your comments means so much to me.

Tristan is on pain medication and anti-inflammatories now. The cancer was confirmed by our local vet/radiologist. He's going in today at noon to get a chest x-ray to see if it has spread. I am on pins and needles waiting to hear back since I'm at work now (my husband is taking him in). Its killing me to not be there with him right now. After we find out the results then we will figure out what method to take. My emotions and instincts for what is "best" to do are swinging wildly around. This has all happened so very fast. One week he is fine, acting as healthy as a 3 year old. The next he is limping and we are having to face pain meds, possible PTS or amputation. Its very hard to take this all in.

This was not supposed to happen. Tristan was going to live to be 15 at the very least. He's not even 10 yet. I've had him so long- it seems like even longer since he has been loyal to me through so very many life changes. He's such a gentle, goofy soul.

I've been reading the Osteo threads too, so much helpful information even though I end up crying a lot, reading through so much loss. :(

Here are a few more pics of my boy. Thank you again everyone, for your support. I will keep you all updated. Fingers crossed that his lung x-rays are clear...

102105_1.jpg

sean_n_shmeebz1.jpg

sept05_3.jpg

portrait1021_1.jpg

portrait1021_3.jpg

T_n_friends6.jpg

DSCN1179.JPG

DSCN1227.JPG

DSCN1448.JPG

action4.jpg

park1.jpg

Edited by patterpaws

I'm so sorry for the awful news. :grouphug Life really sucks at times.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

He is so handsome and full of life. I love the pix of him and his toys.

For what it's worth, I chose amputation for my 12 yr old. She did just fine. I did take her to OSU for the surgery thought.

She lived another very happy 6 months before OS claimed another leg.

Again, I'm so sorry. One of the most important things anyone said to me when my sweet boy was diagnosed was that there are no right and wrong decisions. You know your hound best, and you'll do what's best for him.

Don't hesitate to ask questions or just cry/vent in the Osteo thread if you need to.

Edited to add - Personally, we would've chosen amputation if that had been an option for us. My Gabe had two primary tumors (very unusual), so it was not. Chemo, meds, and pamindronate treatments gave him four very spoiled, happy months, and I wouldn't trade any of that time for the world. He was ten and a half.

Edited by vjgrey

Valerie w/ Cash (CashforClunkers) & Lucy (Racing School Dropout)
Missing our gorgeous Miss
Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

I am so very sorry to hear his diagnosis :( :( :( we just got exactly the same one for Anubis yesterday as well -- same area, even. I did the OSU consult and Dr. Kellogg agreed that it is cancer. :(

your boy is SO very handsome! I know whatever you decide for him will be the best. Sending prayers the chest x-ray comes out clear. :hope :hope

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Hoping for clear chest x-rays. I know exactly how you feel. I've said this so many times, but you would have never known Neyla's age if I hadn't told you. She was incredibly active, playful and healthy when bam, one morning she just had a horrible limp. She hadn't been doing anything that could have caused a muscle injury - between that and the way she was acting/carrying herself, I knew immediately what it was although it took a few weeks to get an official dx. I felt completely robbed - it was the one thing I didn't want to have to face with her, my first dog, my heart dog, my reformed spook - we had such a bond and she was supposed to live until at least 15, but I was forced to let her go just a few months shy of her 12th birthday.

Honestly, the best advice I got was to take a ton of pictures and videos and cherish every moment you have. Those pictures meant so much to me after she was gone - it was the only way I could feel like she was still with me.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest TBSFlame

I am very sorry. I have lost 2 to osteo. Hawk was 9.5 and it was in his lungs at the time of dx. Beecher was 11 and his osteo was on his ribs. Hawk lived 2 months before we had to let him go and Beecher lived 6 months before the pain got him. Whatever you do will be the right thing to do. Good luck.