Tristan's Experience With Osteosarcoma & Amputation

Guest patterpaws

Guest greytkidsmom

I can feel the love you have for Tristan through your words. You have gotten wonderful advice and like everyone says, no decision is the wrong decision.

We haven't gone through osteo yet but one of our boys had a tumor in his maxilla (upper jawbone near his canine tooth). He was perfectly healthy except for this rapidly growing thing. It had grown so large that he was unable to eat. To make matters worse, he has horrible travel anxiety. We made the decision to have it resected. He had his operation last April and has adjusted to his new face very well. His postop course wasn't totally smooth and we doubted our decision often. It took about 2 months for him to seem like himself again. Today he remains free from that cancer, eats normally, and is able to catch rats in the backyard like a pro.

I write this all to say that although you may doubt your decisions along this journey, each one is made with love. Time will help you find peace that each decision was the right one for Tristan and for you.

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please don't apologise for rambling. Writing it all down can help enormously and I'm sure I speak for pretty much everyone here when I say we'd rather read long, long posts of rambling emotion from someone who clearly loves their dog with all their heart than two lines from a neglectful of uncaring owner. And I'm sure nobody will leave this thread in any doubt that your decision - whatever it may be - will be made from the heart, while also taking account of all the facts. No dog could ask for more.

Tristan is one of the luckiest hounds. He may have had a rough start, but he found you and his life has been great ever since; there is no mistaking a loved dog!

I just want to say one thing. I am not saying this to sway you one way or the other, but merely to add another nugget of information. I too would be uncertain of going ahead with amputation in a dog who is getting shaky at the back end, but if you do decide to amputate, he'll have the best chance of doing well with it being a front leg. These dogs - more so than many breeds - carry most of their weight at the front. I think it's something like 75% at the front compared to 25% at the back.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Tramadol is a tricky thing in that sometimes it helps, sometimes it causes restlessness and panting. It's hard to tell if the panting and restlessness is from pain or if the tramadol is CAUSING it.

Sutra was a mess anytime I gave him more than 50mg. The Deramaxx was more help to him than anything else.

Keep writing! I love reading about him, and what a great trick!

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Aw, I :beatheart Tristan. Such a sweetie. It is so clear that you love him dearly and he you. Any decision you make out of this love for him can't be wrong. Keep posting all you want. I love hearing all about him. I love seeing how much he misses you when he can't find you. I love the trick, such a talented boy. But most of all, I love seeing the love and caring you have for each other.

Jane

Guest patterpaws

Thank you so much for all the kind words. You all are so very wonderful.

Thankfully, we got more Tramadol today. It was very difficult, evidently the medicine is a highly controlled substance. I had to beg and plead and even break down in tears before anyone would help me.

We took Tristan to another dog park today where he could go down to a pebbly lake shore. I think he enjoyed himself but he seemed very tired. His limp got pretty bad on our walk back to the car and we had to take quite a few breaks to let him rest. This is breaking my heart. Just a few weeks ago, when we were on our walks, people would ask how old he was and would react with great surprise- "Oh!! I didn't think he was that old, he looks so young!" I'd boast about how healthy he was and how I fully expected him to live to 15, at minimum! Today, people were calling him "old timer" at the park. What a difference a few weeks makes with this horrid disease. Before, his body language and expression countered all the grey on his face. Now, he gives the impression of a wise old man, face whitened with age. Looking through all the photos of today, I'm struck by how worn down he looks. When I'm with him, I mainly focus on his smiles and enthusiasm, his eagerness to sniff the leaves and go for car rides, how he forgets the limp if he's running over to get one of the disgusting smelly treats that he loves. Yet he took all day to finish his breakfast, which really is not like him at all.

Luckily I was finally able to increase frequency of the medication, so he should be a little more comfortable.

I couldn't bear to think much about the future today, and the inevitable sorrow it brings. I know I'm going to have to let him go. I looked up some vets who do house calls, who I really don't want to call but will have to soon. Great, the tears are coming again. :cry1

I feel as if I should write more, I just can't really find the words. I'm so sorry Tristan. I'm sorry.

Tristan_Water.jpg

Tristan_In_Grass.jpg

Tristan_Sean.jpg

Tristan_Kiss.jpg

Tristan_CarRide.jpg

Whatever decision you make will be made from the heart and from the enormous amount of love you have for Tristan. Thank goodness dogs live in the moment and leave all these decisions to us...I would never want my grey to agonize like we do. No matter what decision you make, it will be the right one...please post as much as you need to...we're here for you. I always wish I had more comforting words. :grouphug

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

You are far more selfless than I could ever be...that is just courage that I don't possess. Hoping for many good days for you and Tristan before it's time to say goodbye. :grouphug

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

Wherever you go from here, you've given Tristan a wonderful, loved life. The kind dogs dream about. Gentle hugs to you and your boy today.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

:grouphug sending hugs to you and Tristan. Cancer is such a cruel disease.

gus-rainy-1.jpg?1449508527184&1449508632
CORY and CRICKET - Solitary Tremble & CASPER - Pj's Mia Farrow
* With CAPT. GUS - Solitary Trigger, RAINY - Peach Rain, PUP - Red Zepher, DOC - CTW Fort Sumpter
and MAX - Shiowa's Silver Maxamillion / Afghan .... all waiting at the bridge

When you posted in Seamie's thread I smiled, happy that you could smile at that moment, too.

I have been following Tristan's story, and the love story you share with him is so beautifully written. The way he looks at you, he is simply oozing love for you, he clearly adores you. Whatever decision you come to it will be informed, and have been made with nothing but love and respect for your friend. Keep writing, as a journal like this for Tristan will be very important to you later. My heart is breaking for you. :grouphug:

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

I know I'm going to have to let him go. I looked up some vets who do house calls, who I really don't want to call but will have to soon. Great, the tears are coming again. :cry1

I feel as if I should write more, I just can't really find the words. I'm so sorry Tristan. I'm sorry.

I've just spent my GT time allowance for the day reading your thread from start to present. My heart is breaking for you and Tristan. You've had such an amazing life together, through so much for both of you, and forged this incredible bond of love and trust. No matter how long you have, it's never ever long enough, and the end is always so painful for us. Your choice to make it less so for Tristan is from that loving place deepest in your heart. I hope for you both you can find the most peaceful way through that hardest part of sharing so deeply.

:bighug :bighug :bighug

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.

Guest greygirls2

I've been following your thread on Tristan with a heavy heart. I lost my JJ at 8 yrs old in Jan of this year two weeks after he started limping. He wasn't a good candidate for amputation for many of the same reasons you feel that Tristan isn't. When I let JJ go all I could think of was what a gorgeous, full of life pup he was and such a waste of such a wonderful body to one stinking spot on his hind leg. My heart is with you as you make the decision that your heart tells you is the best for Tristan. Hugs to all of you....the pictures tell the story of a much loved and cherished boy.

Guest patterpaws

I want to respond to everyone individually but now there's another plot twist in our Tristan saga. :( We went in for an appointment with the oncologist and an additional consultation with the surgeon. After talking to them, both my husband and I are thinking that maybe we want to do the amputation after all????? We talked about the chemo, we talked to a vet tech whose dog had the amputation, we talked to the vet again who said he thought Tristan's hind end would be ok if he only had 3 legs (one of my concerns was with his shakey rear legs). They could still do the amputation first thing tomorrow, although we could also reschedule for later if we wanted a little more time.

WELL as fate has it, we now have no time. As we were getting out of the car and walking to the house, Tristan did a little bunny hop over a stone, landed on his leg, and let out a huge yelp, now is putting no weight on the leg at all. His leg is probably broken! I called the emergency clinic, they said to give extra tramadol (he can supposedly have up to 4 pills at once, I've given 3...) if the tramadol doesn't make him comfortable I can bring him in tonight for pain management and they could operate first thing in the morning.

Its either that or put him down now.

Has the cancer spoken? Is his prognosis that much worse, its eaten through the bone!!! Should I put him down? Or should it be amputated? Is my poor dog in more pain than I know and I need to spare him any more suffering? Has any dog here had an amputation after a pathological fracture?

He seems to be calming down, he's laying on his bed and seems sleepy. He's not in too much pain to not eat, he ate some treats and still wanted to steal DH's dinner off his plate.

AUGH asdlfjafaf'jafla;sfaf//skljfa'/..........

Of course it's hard to make an internet assessment, but it doesn't sound to me like it's broken. Our oncologist told me we'd almost definitely know a break if we saw one, and if he feels good enough to eat, take treats and steal dinner, that's probably not it.

Did they want you to fast him for surgery though, if you decide to go with that option?

Valerie w/ Cash (CashforClunkers) & Lucy (Racing School Dropout)
Missing our gorgeous Miss
Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

I'm so so sorry. :(

All I can say is that many people don't even know their dog has osteo until the bone breaks. Some choose to amputate, some don't - I don't believe it necessarily changes your odds regarding survival time since the only issue there is mets and many dogs probably have mets from early on (you just hope the chemo gets them). I will also say that fractures are suppsoed to be incredibly painful. You know your pup, but if it were me, I would probably get to the vet for an x-ray to confirm (although it IS possible for there to be a hairline fracture that isn't clear on the x-ray) and allow the e-vet to medicate appropriately (I don't think Tramadol alone will do it).

Having said that, it's quite possible he didn't break it. He may have just tweaked it landing funny and now it's sore, or he's afraid to put weight on it for fear it will hurt that much again. So if he doesn't seem painful otherwise, maybe see how he is in the morning. You really need to be the judge.

:grouphug

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest patterpaws

Well, he's passed out right now, I think the tramadol knocked him out. I'm glad to hear that it might not be fractured, but its definitely hurting him.

But a good portion of my talk today with the vet/oncologist was about how the radiologist thought they already saw hairline fractures, and its very close to breaking. I think we are reaching that do-or-die moment.

There is so much life in his eyes. I look at him, and I can tell he doesn't want to die.

I doubt it is broken...he would still be screaming if it was broken. He probably jarred it and it's causing him extra pain, poor guy. Glad he's resting now.

If you guys want to do the amp, do it soon. It sounds like it is coming down to needing to be a fast decision, unfortunately :(

Sorry to hear you and Tristan are having a rough time. I agree with Jen that whether or not there's a pathological fracture, it probably won't have much of an effect on prognosis. So I wouldn't use that as a deciding factor in whether or not to pursue further treatment. Hopefully it's not broken and he just aggravated it and will be better in the morning.

However, one thing this new development might help with is allowing you to see how he will manage on 3 legs. How well was he getting around when he didn't want to put weight on the leg? If he was able to get around ok, that's definitely a good sign. But even if he was having some trouble, that doesn't mean he won't figure it out with a little more time, especially if the source of the pain is removed.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

He'll likely feel less pain after the amp than he's feeling right now...just food for thought. Not trying to sway you...the decision is yours alone.

Guest patterpaws

He got along surprisingly well hopping around on 3 legs.

the vet said the same thing as you did, Kristin, that likely the amputation would bring a relief.

Some of my friends are telling me very emphatically that putting him down is the best option, that I should release him from this pain by letting him die, letting him sleep away. Its just, I look in his eyes and I still see the life force very strong in him, he's telling me that he doesn't want to go.