Jump to content

Search the Community

Showing results for tags 'recovery'.



More search options

  • Search By Tags

    Type tags separated by commas.
  • Search By Author

Content Type


Forums

  • Greyhound Life
    • Announcements and News
    • Health and Medical discussion
    • Food and dietary discussion
    • Training and Behavior discussion
    • Cute and Funny things Greyhounds do
    • Everything else Greyhound
    • Greyhound Events
  • General
    • Off Topic
    • Introductions & Biography
    • Remembrance
    • Greyt Information
    • Pet Merchandise
    • Technical Questions about Greytalk

Product Groups

There are no results to display.


Find results in...

Find results that contain...


Date Created

  • Start

    End


Last Updated

  • Start

    End


Filter by number of...

Joined

  • Start

    End


Group


AIM


MSN


Website URL


ICQ


Yahoo


Jabber


Skype


Location


Interests


Real Name

Found 3 results

  1. For those who don't know, Dexter has had a cataract for five or six years now, about half his life That eye's time has finally come. We took him to a veterinary ophthalmologist back in May, and the vet said that although he was fine at the moment, his eye had more issues than just the cataract, and there wasn't really many options for retaining it. The main concern he had was the pressure in the eye, so we picked up some recommended saline drops to help with that. Sadly, it doesn't seem to have helped. We've been noticing some signs of discomfort since September-ish, so we took him into the regular vet in mid-November. She prescribed some pain-killers and told us to keep an eye on things - and when the pain-killers worked, we knew it was definitely his eye. We brought him back and she had borrowed a pressure reader, so we were able to get confirmation of what we already knew. When he was at the ophthalmologist in May, Dexter's eye pressure was at 12, well within normal ranges. On the 1st of December, it was 60! She gave us some glaucoma drops to try and get the pressure down, but agreed that surgery would be necessary. Luckily, the drops are working well so far. He's down to a pressure of ~8 as of last week. But the eye still needs to come out, as the vet doesn't think the drops will hold for long. So he's booked in for mid-January. The vet's not overly worried about putting him under (at least, no more so than any other senior greyhound), but she does think the recovery will be a rough one. And we're not sure what to expect - none of our dogs have ever needed surgery once we took them home already fixed. We know that he will probably be dopey for about a day, and that he will likely be in pain, and we know that he's prone to licking at his IV site, but otherwise nothing. So what should we be preparing for? Is there anything we should be getting ahead of time? Should we be preparing to keep him separated from the boys, and if so, for how long? The vet has recommended we use Metacam after the surgery as all of Dexter's blood values are good, and we have an ~2 week supply - should this be enough? Obviously we'll be talking to our vet more about recovery recommendations, but we want to prepare as much as possible and make sure that we have everything set up and ready for him even before we take him in.
  2. Hi Everyone! I used to be a member of this board quite a while ago, but haven't posted in ages. I had trouble logging in so ended up making a new account. Here's my handsome fellow: My greyhound Tristan is 9 years and 4 months old, and about a week and a half ago he started limping on his front right leg. He's had a shoulder injury before so I thought it was just that, but since he hadn't healed up we took him to the vet. Of course I'm really scared for osteo. The vet took x-rays and has sent them to a radiologist for diagnosis, but we won't hear back until tomorrow. I was wondering if anyone here has had experience looking at x-rays? I thought I'd post them here just in case. If anyone has any guesses, I'd love to hear. Otherwise I'll update this page when we hear back tomorrow. I'll try to attach the images, but you can also see them here: https://picasaweb.go...Mb63ar9yKn9iAE#
  3. Hi all, Just posting in as first-time to say thanks for everyone who's posted in the past here about your hounds' toe amputation experiences...I have really appreciated and benefited from reading all of that over the past couple of days. My Mandy (OL's Baby Face) is 9.5 yrs old and have had her for six yrs. She is an insulin-dependent diabetic (shots 2 x day) whose had lots of health scares off-on since we've had her but she has prevailed as a fairly hearty and loving girl. Her left rear outside toe has been 2 x normal size for the past couple months and it did not respond to course of anti-inflammatories and antibiotics. Xray showed bone involvement and some deterioration. Amputation was the final recommendation but we had a few re-starts on getting it done (first time it was scheduled, 3 wks ago, she had a false pos. proteinuria in preop bloodwork that caused delay to check urine protein:creatinine ratio and rule out glomerulonephritis and other kidney issues (further testing came back non-confirming of any of that); also had needle aspirates done of popliteal lymph node at back of knee on that leg and of the toe (lymph node was highly reactive but not for cancer, just showing that it was fighting off something (a good thing, I think); toe aspirate was inconclusive for anything fluid related but no surprise, as the toe seemed mostly boney process); the second time she was scheduled for surgery, she had what appeared to be a mini-seizure or mild stroke-like (TIA) event or a vestibular event the night before and we waited yet another week and a half). She did have the amputation this Thurs. 6-21-12 and is doing okay. Her blood glucose is climbing a bit and I'm kinda worried about that---thinking that perhaps as she continues eating same amt but exercising hardly at all, her metablism will cycle out of its good control. Very restless first night and better last night. She is doing intermittent whistle-whine sleeping from time to time and I am dosing regularly with Tramadol. She is also on Clavamox and Novox q 12 with meals, along with her injected insulin; tolerating all well. She is not happy with the rigid e-collar but tolerating it outside the crate for the long w/end. Will try to figure how best to help her keep away from the foot once I head back to work on Tues. and she has to crate up because she is definitely a fussy licker of wounds. Will try her with the softer e-collar (she doesn't like the sound and I think it makes her hot) and will try the suggestion a number of you have posted about with using the plastic muzzle + duct tape. I was concerned today that her bandage might be oozing a little blood & took her in to the vet but they said it looked very good and wanted me to actually keep it uncovered as much as possible now. So, no big pressure bandage or anything at all, which felt a little too soon, to me. But she has slept a good bit of the rest of the day and it has gotten lots of air. She has mostly tolerated it uncovered, although I think it must be very sensitive to the air from the fans and just being uncovered. She twitches it and sometimes whines when shifting it about like she wasn't before when it was covered. I'm dry-wrapping it religiously with 4x4 + vetwrap with a sock over it secured w/vet wrap at ankle, and an IV bag bootie over all of that, for when she goes outside. I will post a picture or two when I have a chance. Wish I could take all of next week off to be with her. Thanks for being here. --Gaye
×
×
  • Create New...