Tristan's Experience With Osteosarcoma & Amputation

Guest patterpaws

Guest patterpaws

And yes, I agree that the time has come for swift decisions. He's calmed down and seems ok tonight but tomorrow it will either be amputation or "the big sleep."

Not that "the big sleep" is a bad thing, we all have to die someday. :unsure

Edited by patterpaws

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know Tristan best. You've talked to the surgeon and the vet. Please don't let your friends influence your decision. I don't know anyone who's been through this who would try to tell a stranger, much less a "friend" what options they should and shouldn't take.

Valerie w/ Cash (CashforClunkers) & Lucy (Racing School Dropout)
Missing our gorgeous Miss
Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

Osteo is a cruel SOB. I've lost two of my boys to it. The first hound Argus was a poor candidate for amputation because it was already in his lungs and because he had a very low tolerance for difficult procedures. He was our "drama queen." He lived 2 weeks post-diagnosis before his leg swelled up like a stuffed tube sock and for the first time ever he wouldn't eat a hot dog. All the light had gone out of his eyes and I think I waited too long to let him go. Tiny's cancer was not only in the shoulder but in the surrounding bone. He was a trooper and he held up longer than Argus did, about 2 months. He never did stop eating and he still seemed to take pleasure in life. I wonder if I let him go too soon. Argus's pain management included Deramaxx, Tramadol and morphine extended release. Tiny's protocol was Rimadyl, Tramadol and Gabapentin. In both cases I increased the meds as their pain increased, until I was giving them ridiculous amounts of medication. At that point I was forced to consider that if I had to give them enough pain meds to knock an elephant into oblivion, it was probably time to think about letting them go.

One thing that I think helped Tiny last longer was that he was very careful with his bad leg. At first he ran around the yard and played like he always had, with just a bit of a limp afterward and eventually I had to restrict his activity. As things progressed he seemed to know that there was danger there and that he shouldn't test it. He stopped running and did not put any weight on it if he could help it.

I don't think your boy broke a bone. I suspect he experienced "breakthrough pain." He banged his leg hard enough to hurt right through the meds. But if it was broken he'd be screaming and you wouldn't be able to comfort him. Amputation, should you choose to go that route, would eliminate that concern for a while. Eventually the beast will rear its ugly head again, but it may (hopefully) buy him some quality time.

Your choice is a sorry rotten miserable one to have to make.

ETA: Osteo does age them amazingly quickly....

Tiny shortly after he was diagnosed, still feeling good and not realizing anything is wrong.

IMG_8433_1.jpg7

Shortly before I let him go.

IMG_8766_1.jpg

Edited by GreytNut

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg

I just got caught up on reading what your last week has been like, and my heart goes out to you and your husband.

Sending you many hugs from across the miles.

Cheryl - "Mom" to RUNNER (Gunnah, born 6/15/2012) and FARGO (Ridin Shotgun, born 8/21/2015). Missing my Grey-Angels HEISMAN (RX Heisman) (3/29/2005-2/1/2016) and ALEX (Bevenly) (4/15/2005-6/7/2018).

I'm sorry Tristan had a spill today and is now hurting even more. Whether his leg is broken now or not, it sounds like based on your visit today that there is concern his leg is close to fracturing or already has hair-line fractures. I know that means you are now in a position you don't want to be as a decision will need to be made. If Tristan is full of life as you describe and your vet told you he would likely do fine on three legs, then amputation is something you need to decide to do now, not later as there may be no later. Sorry to be blunt but this is when we as humans have to make these brutally difficult decisions for our pups and this is when they depend on us. The only thing I think you need to consider now if you are still considering amputation is the cost, it's not cheap but then again it also can give life to your pup for some time to come. How long nobody knows and nobody can give you a definite answer. Your pup however will be grateful to be relieved of the pain that I can assure you.

If amputation is out of the question for whatever reason, then I think you need to listen to your vet about the possible hairline fractures. You do not want Tristan to suffer a broken leg. Too many have been through this and it is something if you can avoid for your pup is a good thing even though it means saying goodbye.

I think you know all the above and am truly sorry this is where you are at. Tristan seems like a real sweetie and reminds me of my Charlie who went through amp and chemo fine. If you do choose amputation, again feel free to reach out to me if you have questions/concerns via PM, at kyle241_2000@yahoo.com or you can call me at 613-362-0379.

Edited by Charlies_Dad

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

You know Tristan best. You've talked to the surgeon and the vet. Please don't let your friends influence your decision. I don't know anyone who's been through this who would try to tell a stranger, much less a "friend" what options they should and shouldn't take.

:nod

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Some of my friends are telling me very emphatically that putting him down is the best option, that I should release him from this pain by letting him die, letting him sleep away. Its just, I look in his eyes and I still see the life force very strong in him, he's telling me that he doesn't want to go.

My response to this is to listen to your dog, not your friends... Looking back on this, how will you feel if you make this decision based on what your friends are telling you, and not what you feel Tristan wants?

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Guest patterpaws

tbhounds- Yep, the vet has Amicar in stock and is totally on board with it. He seems to know the good folks at Ohio State. The oncologist knows them too, and even has another greyhound currently being treated using chemo meds from OSU. :)

Just had a long talk with my husband, we are going through with the amputation tomorrow. For an earlier question, I think I gave the treats right at the border of when to stop giving food, it was just a tiny piece of dried beef liver/peanut butter to mask the pill to get him to take it. He didn't succeed in stealing any dinner. :) I'll double check to make sure the "pill bribe" wasn't given past the cutoff time tho...

Kyle, I totally agree with you. No more time to procrastinate. I do not want Tristan to die with a broken leg. I am at peace with letting him go early (well, as much of "at peace" as one can be about these gut wrenching things), but when it comes right down to it, and I look into his eyes, at this moment he really does not want to die. Of course, I have more knowledge than he does, I know of his trials to come! If he knew he might think differently. But since its come down to the wire, my husband and I both feel like he has a lot of fight left in him, and if he wants to continue fighting, we'll help him. I still have my worries but I guess we'll just cross our fingers that he pulls through it ok.

I feel badly that I've gone back and forth in my feelings so much, and dumped all my anxiety on you guys! But you all have been a tremendous help, I've gotten SO much information from you all! So much life experience and sincere sharing, you all are amazing. I guess this is the soonest that I could have done the surgery anyway since the surgeon backed out on Friday (and I was nervous about it), but I think its been a good thing to have this time to agonize over the decision, at least we've been able to really research it to weigh all of the options. :)

Kristen- those photos of Tiny are amazing, what a beautiful hound. He does look tired in that last photo, what a sweet old guy. It sounds like you did the right things for your two guys. Maybe Angus and Tristan would have gotten along well, Tristan is the resident "drama queen" too. Sometimes I call him my "pretty pretty princess" since he likes to have everything just so and he is such a sensitive guy. :) With Tristan, I think the deciding factor in timing isn't so much pain, as the presence of the microfractures and the vets warning me today of imminent pathological fracture, which is not an acceptable ending to me, I want to avoid that at all costs even if it means letting him go before the pain gets too bad. I'm sad that Argus went so quickly. :( I'm sure that he understood that you were trying all you could for him, that you loved him very very much and in the end, you helped to release him from the pain. I'm glad Tiny lasted longer, he was very wise to keep off of his leg! He sure is a handsome fellow. So sad to see the difference between the photos, I wish I could smash Osteo, it is too too too cruel to our beautiful guys. :(

My heart goes out to you and your husband as you go through this difficult time. Please know that my prayers are being added for Tristan this morning. I think he is one of those

hounds that we have all fallen in love with here and we wish you all the best. It is so very obvious how much you love each other-some of your posts about your boy brought me

to tears as I can only imagine what you must be feeling now. Much love and good luck.

Mary, mom to kitty Rebel.
Always missing Sherri (SO DELICIOUS) (12/6/2005-8/29/2018) kitties Marley (4/2000-12/3/2015) and Beady (4/1998-2/24/2006) and Dalmatian Daisy (7/25/1984-5/13/1999).

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work

and give to those who would not - Thomas Jefferson

My heart hurts for you, your husband and Tristan. That said, you have made your decision based on love, good advice, and your knowledge of Tristan and belief in his will to fight. Hold on to that. With love, you will only make the right decision.

In the nicest possible way, ignore your friends if they have no first hand knowledge of this kind of situation. Of course they are only trying to help but only those of us who have been faced with this diganosis, in this breed of dog, can truly understand the things you are facing right now.

Holding you all in my thoughts and prayers.

Thinking of you and Tristan this morning. I hope everything goes well and that you feel at peace with your decision.

Valerie w/ Cash (CashforClunkers) & Lucy (Racing School Dropout)
Missing our gorgeous Miss
Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

Sending good thoughts Tristan's way this morning. Hope he has a successful surgery and a smooth recovery. :goodluck

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Good thoughts and prayers for Tristan today. I hope he has an easy recovery after his surgery.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Good thoughts that Tristan's surgery goes well.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest patterpaws

There's no turning back now! Mr. T is at the vet, perhaps even in surgery right now. As I said on the osteo thread:

Switching to fight mode now. I'm thinking of it kind of like how when I first adopted him, he was in a weak state and he needed me to make up for it and be super strong for him. I couldn't be weak around him, he needed me to be self assured so he could feed off that energy. Switching to that mode now, big time.

The vet was going to give T the Amicar first thing this morning. :)

Must be strong!!!! We're going to smash that cancer! We'll do everything in our power to help him to have a swift recovery. Fingers crossed. I'll keep you all updated. :)

:goodluck :goodluck :goodluck :goodluck :goodluck :goodluck :goodluck :goodluck :goodluck :goodluck :goodluck :goodluck :goodluck

I feel badly that I've gone back and forth in my feelings so much, and dumped all my anxiety on you guys! But you all have been a tremendous help, I've gotten SO much information from you all! So much life experience and sincere sharing, you all are amazing. I guess this is the soonest that I could have done the surgery anyway since the surgeon backed out on Friday (and I was nervous about it), but I think its been a good thing to have this time to agonize over the decision, at least we've been able to really research it to weigh all of the options. :)

Oh, don't apologise. :bighug

We are all happy to help you through this, it's such a cruel thing and so many of us have been through the terrible decision of do something/do nothing/euthanise. It's an agony, that's for sure. I haven't had a dog with osteosarcoma, but two now with other terminal cancers who needed sudden decisions.

I'm so glad to hear that you have talked with your DH and come to a decision you are both at peace with. Know this: whatever the future brings, Tristan will not blame you for one second of what he is yet to go through. He will continue to love and trust you to the end. And when, eventually, he does leave this earth, he will leave it as one of the best-loved and luckiest dogs - whatever happens between now and then, that is important to remember. You have given him, and are still giving him, the best life possible.

Good luck with his surgery! I'll be thinking of him. :hope

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Thinking of you guys and sending lots of healing thoughts for a quick recovery for Tristan .

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

sending Tristan TONS of hugs and prayers! :hope:bighug:hope

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Must be strong!!!! We're going to smash that cancer! We'll do everything in our power to help him to have a swift recovery. Fingers crossed. I'll keep you all updated. :)

:goodluck :goodluck :goodluck :goodluck :goodluck :goodluck :goodluck :goodluck :goodluck :goodluck :goodluck :goodluck :goodluck

You will find strength that you never knew you had. Keeping Tristan and you in my thoughts and prayers.

You will find strength that you never knew you had. Keeping Tristan and you in my thoughts and prayers.

Woo! Go get 'em!

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--