Tristan's Experience With Osteosarcoma & Amputation

Guest patterpaws

Guest patterpaws

Hi Everyone! I used to be a member of this board quite a while ago, but haven't posted in ages. I had trouble logging in so ended up making a new account.

Here's my handsome fellow:

3419962233_b2be7e7176_z.jpg

My greyhound Tristan is 9 years and 4 months old, and about a week and a half ago he started limping on his front right leg. He's had a shoulder injury before so I thought it was just that, but since he hadn't healed up we took him to the vet. Of course I'm really scared for osteo. The vet took x-rays and has sent them to a radiologist for diagnosis, but we won't hear back until tomorrow. I was wondering if anyone here has had experience looking at x-rays? I thought I'd post them here just in case. If anyone has any guesses, I'd love to hear. Otherwise I'll update this page when we hear back tomorrow.

I'll try to attach the images, but you can also see them here:

https://picasaweb.go...Mb63ar9yKn9iAE#

%257BC954851B-9A4A-44F5-B5C9-AEF2AA7F07E3%257D.jpg

%257B2174A827-BB66-4118-A005-29E04B06FE82%257D.jpg

%257BA501C49B-F519-48BE-8C0E-24F4D4464029%257D.jpg

%257BAA525AF8-51E8-40B0-AFAE-E42753675DEA%257D.jpg

%257B4B595C40-83EC-46C9-8D2C-13ED52317F0A%257D.jpg

Edited by patterpaws

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no medical advice for you. I just wanted to say that Tristan is a very handsome boy, and I'm hoping that the news you hear from the radiologist is good.

Keep us posted. :goodluck

4894718087_9910a46faa_d.jpg

Tricia with Kyle, our senior mutt dog 
Always missing Murray MaldivesBee Wiseman, River, Hopper, Kaia, and 
Holly Oaks Holly
“You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.“          -Bob Dylan

No advice, but I'll be thinking lots of positive thoughts for you and your beautiful boy.

Valerie w/ Cash (CashforClunkers) & Lucy (Racing School Dropout)
Missing our gorgeous Miss
Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

Did your vet give you any initial thoughts? I hate to say it and really hope I'm wrong, but the loss of density in the proximal (upper) right humerus makes me think osteosarcoma is likely. :( You can see it in the first 2 x-rays, as well as the 4th one where you can compare the 2 sides. Of course, seeing the original x-rays would be best, and I would defer to the radiologist's opinion. You might also consider sending the x-rays to OSU through their Consultation Service.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Guest patterpaws

I'll try to send the x-rays to OSU, thank you for the link!

Hooked- I am nervous about the exact same area and I hope I'm wrong too. We just moved to the area so we're going to a new vet, she didn't seem as experienced with greyhounds as my previous vets and didn't give an opinion. I hope we hear back soon tomorrow, I'm really worried. :(

Here are some more photos of my big goofy guy. Thank you so much for the positive thoughts! I'll keep you updated...

SHMEEB.jpg

T_with_sad.jpg

T_with_sun.jpg

T_with_wig.jpg

Tristan_n_me.JPG

shmeebz.jpg

DSCN1828_b.jpg

long_nose.jpg

Tristan_n_Calvin1.jpg

The OSU consult is free. We used this service when we had the exact same X-rays taken on our Bee Wiseman last August. Even though our trusted vet gave us a diagnosis of osteo based on her X-rays , we sent the digital X-rays to OSU for confirmation anyway. We wanted a second opinion no matter what the diagnosis.

Thinking all good thoughts for Tristan. :grouphug

4894718087_9910a46faa_d.jpg

Tricia with Kyle, our senior mutt dog 
Always missing Murray MaldivesBee Wiseman, River, Hopper, Kaia, and 
Holly Oaks Holly
“You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.“          -Bob Dylan

Guest patterpaws

I've sent the X-rays to OSU. Fingers crossed that he's in the clear. I'm super super worried though. His limp has gotten worse, he enjoyed his walk tonight but was having a lot of trouble hobbling along. This seems so much worse than his shoulder sprains in the past.

Sending prayers and good thoughts for Tristan and for you. Love the photo of him with the rabbit.

Mary, mom to kitty Rebel.
Always missing Sherri (SO DELICIOUS) (12/6/2005-8/29/2018) kitties Marley (4/2000-12/3/2015) and Beady (4/1998-2/24/2006) and Dalmatian Daisy (7/25/1984-5/13/1999).

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work

and give to those who would not - Thomas Jefferson

I have no advice. I just wanted to say that Tristan is such a cutie! I truly hope it is something that can be easily fixed. My thoughts are with you.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

Guest CFPWonder

Sending you good thoughts and hope and pray for the best. He is one handsome fellow, for sure.

I lost my first greyhound to osteo in February so I know how you're feeling. We had initial xrays in late Oct. and nothing showed up; however, our vet recommended another xray in 6 weeks. That's when we found out she had osteo - we found out right away, though, and didn't have to wait.

Again, good luck.

Tristan is a beauty. I'm sorry you're both going through this and will think good thoughts hoping it's not what we all fear.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Keeping my fingers crossed.

Now if you do get the bad news, I don't know what you want to do but I do want to let you know that my Diamond had OS in that leg. I went to OSU from NJ for the amp surgery. She did great and lived for 6 more happy painfree months before OS hit a rear leg.

Diamond was 12 when I did this!

She recovered just as fast if not faster than many young pups.

Sending lots of prayers and hope and white light your way.

:candle:hope

I'm sorry you're potentially faced with this. Can I suggest that you get some pain medication from your vet in the interim? It could be a few days until you hear back from anyone and if it is bone cancer, you don't want to let that go unmedicated, especially if you can see that he's painful. A low dose of Tramadol might be sufficient for the time being, but you might also pick up a few doses of an NSAID as well (Piroxicam actually seems to be the NSAID of choice for osteo right now if you want to plan ahead, but any NSAID will help with the pain).

He is one handsome boy, really hoping you get some good news. :goodluck

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

No advice just lots of good thoughts and prayers for Tristan.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest LindsaySF

He is very handsome. :wub::wub:

I'd get him on pain meds if he's not already.

I agree with JJNg. Hope we're wrong. :( If it is osteo, consulting with OSU, and posting here on GT, are the best places you could be. So much great information and caring people. :nod

I have no experience with this, but, just want to wish you all the best. Your boy is so handsome and the photos are wonderful.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

I really hate to say this ... but I agree that it looks suspicious, too. :( There is a definite loss of density and a certain striated look plus what seems to be a swelling just above the bone. I'm not a vet and I might well be wrong, but my heart sank when I saw that.

Your boy is absolutely gorgeous. :wub:

I agree with MP_the4pack, too. If it should prove to be osteosarcoma, remember that there is life after amputation. Sid lost a leg through a bad accident on the track, so in a way he doesn't count, but he manages to have fun on three legs every single day. There is a great forum for three legged dogs at www.tripawds.com, as well as the wonderful resource you have here with many knowledgeable people to call on for advice.

If it should turn out to be negative, I'll be one of the first to give three cheers!

Oh, and I also agree about getting some interim pain relief. ;)

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Guest patterpaws

Well, I haven't heard back from our local vet/radiologist, but I got a reply from OSU. What a wonderful program, I can't believe they are able to offer consultations for free. Not so great news though:

Dear Sarah - Unfortunately these xrays look suspicious for bone cancer, I do see a mild moth-eaten appearance at the head of the right humerus (the bone that goes into the shoulder joint). An additional xray may clarify things - take the same shot as xray #1, but on the other (left) leg, pull the leg forward and take an xray of the shoulder joint. Then, the two can be compared and the difference can be more clearly noted. The only way to definitively diagnose osteosarcoma (OSA) is via a bone biopsy, but, we do worry about side effects from this test.

Attached are a couple of articles about bone tumors in Greyhounds with info about treatment options. If you and your vet think that amputation and chemotherapy is a good option, and you are interested, we can provide injectable chemotherapy (carboplatin) at no cost.

If surgery is an option, we recommend the use of aminocaproic acid (Amicar) to decrease the risk of post operative bleeding (Greyhounds may bleed 24-48 h after amputation). The dose that we use here is 500mg orally every 8 hours for 5 days starting the day of the surgery. This drug is available in pharmacies. If your vet has any questions, he/she can contact us.

Please let us know how Tristan is doing.

Christine Kellogg, MS DVM

We are getting pain medicine from our local vet asap. My husband is going over to their office to get some meds since they haven't given us a call back yet. I think we'll have the 2nd xray done, but its not looking good and I feel with his symptoms and xray, the writing is on the wall. I feel so very overwhelmed right now. Reading through the Osteo threads and doing tons of research. Sounds like we have to determine if its spread to the lungs before we'll know if he's an amputation candidate. Its very hard to concentrate at work today.

Thank you so much for all the support, you guys are wonderful. :grouphug

This really sucks. I know. I've been there :grouphug

Do your research and do what you feel is best. You'll find as many management opinions as there are people who have gone through this.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.