Albi, Not Well, Disc Issues

Albi has not been well since Friday afternoon. He tried to come in the house up the two steps (he has to hop on his only front leg), screamed in pain and we had to help him in. Called the vet, she upped his Tramadol and Gabapentin dose and said it sounded like neck. He did not get any better, kept in touch with the vet over the weekend, we kept hoping something would change but every time we tried to get him up to go out he would scream and do it the whole way out side, we were supporting him with sheets and towels.

Monday, after I brought Kassie in to the vet's office for fluids I borrowed their stretcher, John came home early and we took Albi in. They took some x-rays and we found out he has some degenerated discs in his neck and the nerve there is being pinched and causing the pain. She gave him a steroid shot, sent us home with prednisone, upped his Gabapentin to 600 mg three times a day, told me not to give him his Metacam, kept him on his Tramadol and increased his Pepcid. That night when we took him out, he could stand longer and even though he was screaming we thought the steroids would start to help.

Yesterday we couldn't get his hind end up. He hadn't really slept Monday night, he was whining during the night and kept whining during the day and wasn't sleeping. Kept the vet updated and she told me to give him his Metacam which I did at 6 PM. That clearly made him more comfortable, he ate all of his dinner and fell asleep around 7:30. I laid down next to him around 11 PM he did some whining and finally fell back to sleep.

This morning when John came downstairs at 5:30 AM we tried to get him up and we couldn't. We got him in a sheet, used it like a stretcher and took him out. We couldn't get him to stand, he was struggling so much he swung his head around, caught John next to his eye and it was bleeding. We couldn't get him up outside, finally got him back in and he's been sleeping. I talked to the vet at 8:30 this morning and she she asked me to squeeze his back toes, his feet pulled back so he does have feelings there. She said to give him another dose of Metacam this morning, and also said we'll give it one more day and if he doesn't improve that will be it. :(

For anyone that doesn't know, Albi is a Borzoi Saluki mix and just celebrated his one year (May, 25) left front leg amputation for osteosarcoma. We found out last July that he has spinal arthritis. He's a big boy, 100 pounds and has been doing really well until recently. I even took him to the vet last week for a checkup and other than some tummy rumblings and struggling a little to get his hind end up, he seemed great, even his lungs. He has been through a lot this past year and now it seems like we will loose him to disc issues.

Has anyone here had a dog with disc issues this severe and they've improved?

Nancy with Rocket, Umeko and Sasha

gallery_151_3099_2018.jpg

Missing Albi, Kassie, Ramm, Ruby, my good boy Marvin and Mickey (BT)

NANCY B'S COLLARS

I'm so sorry Albi's going through this Nancy. This is exactly what happened to my Saint. The only difference is his was so bad he had no feeling in his back end. He couldn't stand up either. Praying this day brings some improvement for your sweetie.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

In my experience each dog is different so you have to just do what you can for each one and see what happens. Cash crossed over only about 12 weeks after the initial episode where she went down. It was a roller coater with her;first there was great improvement and hope;then things just kept deteriorating;then a spark of hope; then more deterioration; and the worse thing was that she endured a great deal of pain trying to recover during the "hopeful" stage before the "inevitable" stage was reached. So I so wish I could report a positive outcome but I can't. I have heard of dogs that have sufficiently recovered to enjoy a good quality of life though so that provides hope. I'll be praying for Albi to be one those!

Edited by racindog

Yes, Luna the black little girl that collided with another greyhound was paralized, after months of rehab she now walks almost 100% fine. I can't seem to find the blog right now though...can anyone post it up?

Greyhound Collars : www.collartown.ca

Maggie (the human servant), with Miss Bella, racing name "A Star Blackieto"

13380965654_dba9a12b29.jpg

Oh no. I was hoping he'd be feeling better after the weekend.

Will be thinking good thoughts for all of you :(

sig%20march%2015_zpsgicdhakq.jpg
Wingnut (DC Wingnut), Voo Doo (Voo Doo von Bonz), Barb (Myokie Barb) & Romey (Nose Stradamus)
at the bridge Molly (CM Blondie) 9/8/14, Maddy (Reuniting) 10/17/13, Rocky (Ranco Popeye) 1/7/12, Mimi (Flying Ringneck) 8/13/09 and RJ (RJ What For) 5/3/05

I'm so sorry. At this point I'd try acupuncture, ASAP. Kiss your baby for me.

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

Yes, Luna the black little girl that collided with another greyhound was paralized, after months of rehab she now walks almost 100% fine. I can't seem to find the blog right now though...can anyone post it up?

http://lunaslifeinthegardenstate.blogspot.com/

She collided with my Opal.

Nancy, is surgery an option? I know with some dogs it is. There is a fantastic neurologist at Red Bank Vet Hospital. Dr. Glass.

I wish you the best of luck and I hope Albi can recover.

I don't think that Carrie's issues were a disc problem, but, I really don't know because she didn't have a CT. She wasn't improving with Deramaxx and tramadol, so we switched to oral prednisone and started going for acupuncture. Within 15 hours of her first pred dose (she also got acupuncture that afternoon), she was able to stand again on her own and move around. She has steadily improved ever since. In fact, I think she's better now than she was before she injured her back. Her pred dose has been cut back to 10mg every 3 days and she's still doing well.

It's tough when a pup can't move around on it's own, it's even tougher when it's hard for you to help him/her. Fingers crossed that he starts to show improvement :goodluck

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Are they really positive it's a disc issue? Dude's had some of these symptms and it was the cancer metastazising in his spine.

Hope it's not that and that the meds works for Albi.

:grouphug

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I'm so sorry. At this point I'd try acupuncture, ASAP. Kiss your baby for me.

This was going to be my suggestion as well, my old girl had disc issues (couldn't walk, could barely stand) and acupuncture really helped her, but she wasn't a tripod. Don't know if that would make a difference. :candle

Guest trevdog

I second the acupuncture. It's helped my boy tremendously. He has a few that are degenerative in the back end. Even after 1 treatment I could tell the difference, but it does take 4-5 to get the full benefit before you know if it really helps.

No advice, Nancy, just tons of good thoughts coming your way for your Albi :grouphug:

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Nancy...so sorry to read this...lots of :hope and :grouphug for you and Albi....

gallery_4518_2903_10272.jpg
Donna and...Lucy and Chubb
Rascal H 10/1/91-5/22/04 My best friend and Bounty Boon 1/23/99-6/25/07 My boy with the biggest heart
Cody 7/28/99-8/1/13 My boy that always made me laugh and Dylan 5/12/04-12/29/2017 The sweetest boy ever

Miss Mollie 1/1/99-1/30/15 and Pixie :heart:heart-10/10/2017 Lincoln :heart-2/14/2021

I hope you can help Albi with his current issues. The acupuncture suggested above sounds like a good idea to add on.

I had no idea he is such a big boy. He looks so little to me in photos. That must make all of this physically exhausting for you in additional to the emotional drain.

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

Teddy, now 8 has had some disk issues. Have you done a ct scan? Although pricy it can give you a better idea of what's going on.

You have nothing to lose with acupuncture. Keep in mind it can get worse before better and it could take 3 times or more before it starts working but you have nothing to lose.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Lots and lots of good thoughts going out to you and Albi! :grouphug

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown