Really Scared For Magic

I'm worried about Magic. I got home from work and he wasn't at the door. When he got off the sofa, he was limping and holding his front left foot up. He was not holding his head normally. There was no swelling but I felt along his shoulder area and when I put some pressure on the area near where his shoulder meets his neck, he yelped. I didn't feel anything. He was trying to shake his head but was reluctant to do so. He ate normally and I was able to put his leash on and take him out. We have a vet appointment tomorrow evening.

A few weeks ago, he had something similar on his right side which turned out to be an ear infection.

I'm scared. I wasn't going to post this here at least for now for fear of being scared even more but many of you gave Lucy some encouragement with Legs in another thread so I thought I would post here after all.

Right now, he's acting like his neck is stiff so I'm hoping that's all it is.

Carol, missing Magic (1/5/01 - 4/15/15) but welcoming Fuzzy's Joy Behar (Joy) into my life on 5/31/15.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hugs and kisses to Magic from your friend, Maggie kiss1.gif Hang in there Carol. You and Magic are in my thoughts and prayers.

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g240/mtbucket/siggies/Everyday-2.jpgJane - forever servant to the whims and wishes of Maggie (L's Magnolia of JCKC) and Sam the mutt pup.[/b]

She's classy, sassy and a bit smart assy.

sending many prayers!!! :hope :hope :hope

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

many good thoughts for you and Magic! Keep us posted....

Rio aka El Rio (Dec. 4/07) - Home May 16, 2010
Tiana aka CTW Tyra Time (June 7/07 to December 9, 2016) - home July 1, 2010, we miss you terribly, Sweet Girl :weep

Willy aka Starz Predator (Oct. 15/06) - home Aug. 29, 2010
and littermates Merlin aka CTW Excalibur & Mirage aka CTW Mirage (Jan. 1/08) - home Dec. 5, 2010
& June 3, 2012
missing Beagle-Chihuahua, Kasie Lynn (March 15/95-Sept. 13/10)

Good thoughts for Magic. :hope

You could put a nice warm compress on it - as hot as he can stand - and switch it out once or twice. If the area feels swollen, change that to a cold compress with a nice bag of frozen peas. If they did not do xrays previously, you should really have them done this time.

We keep rimadyl on hand all the time for various pulls and strains. You might discuss this with your vet if he sems to be doing this often.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Sounds like a muscle pull or strain, you know how they sleep with their heads hanging off of stuff or maybe he slipped on some shiny floor and pulled something trying to stay on all fours. Hope the vet says it's something simple :grouphug Hang in there.

gallery_13728_3197_7131.jpg

Charla, Mom to Carl ( Bella Monsoon ) 5/2002 - 9/2016 and remembering Gracie Rose ( Cee Bar Xtreme ) 2/2002 - 1/2014

My Sam has arthritis in his back. When his back is bothering him, he starts to shake (like he has water in his coat), then stops abruptly. That's my best indication that he's in some pain.

But he starts tensing up the muscles in his back when it hurts, and that makes it even more painful for him, especially when he's trying to stand up or lie down. On a couple of bad occasions, he screamed every time he tried to lie down or stand up.

These days, he takes methocarbamol (aka Robaxin), a muscle relaxer. That keeps him from tensing his muscles when his back bothers him. Then he also takes pain meds. Sam is nearly 12, and in addition to the arthritis he has a slightly herniated disk in his back (and other issues), so no more chiropractor visits for him. The methocarbamol and pain meds keep him happy, pain-free, and yelp-free...to the point that he still does zoomies in the living room, even when I'm yelling "Knock it off, old man! You've got a bad back!"

Until you get info from your vet, try to restrict Magic's activities: no getting up on furniture, or wild play. Be prepared for a potentially sleepless night if his back is bothering him. (Sam's not much of a stoic about pain. I slept in the floor, trying to get him to lie down with me when getting onto my bed was too painful for him.) If you have a harness you can use instead of a collar for walks, that might be wise.

Be careful about giving Magic any pain meds, though. NSAIDs have a wash-out period, meaning that you can't switch from one med to another without a waiting period. And your vet is going to want to see Magic's true reaction to pain on the visit. (Hope he doesn't pull a "Sam" on you: after I told the vet that Sam had been in so much pain he couldn't lie down, we watched the idiot dog flop down on the hard floor in the exam room.)

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Keeping fingers crossed for Magic. It does sound like it might be vestibular - which could be from the ear infection not being cleared completely up and affecting his inner ear.

Keep us posted and will be watching for updates.

Deb, and da Croo
In my heart always, my Bridge Angels - Macavity, Tila the wannabe, Dexter, CDN Cold Snap (Candy), PC Herode Boy, WZ Moody, Poco Zinny, EM's Scully, Lonsome Billy, Lucas, Hurry Hannah, Daisy (Apache Blitz), Sadie (Kickapoo Kara), USS Maxi, Sam's Attaboy, Crystal Souza, Gifted Suzy, Zena, and Jetlag who never made it home.

http://www.northernskygreyhounds.com

Prayers for Magic!!!!

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Good thoughts for Magic. :hope

You could put a nice warm compress on it - as hot as he can stand - and switch it out once or twice. If the area feels swollen, change that to a cold compress with a nice bag of frozen peas. If they did not do xrays previously, you should really have them done this time.

We keep rimadyl on hand all the time for various pulls and strains. You might discuss this with your vet if he sems to be doing this often.

I just want to mention that a sock filled with rice and heated in the microwave makes a great compress.

I have small update. This morning Magic's front left leg is a little swollen from his ankle down. It's not substantial but it is noticeable. He was barely putting weight on it. I felt the area where he seemed to have pain and I got a little yelp. I got a bigger one when I bent his ankle back. I know when the vet checked his right front leg and bent that ankle, he noticed something in Magic's shoulder. Needless to say, I'm more scared now and am calling the vet momentarily (they open at 8 am).

Carol, missing Magic (1/5/01 - 4/15/15) but welcoming Fuzzy's Joy Behar (Joy) into my life on 5/31/15.

Guest patgam

Oh Carol, I am sorry to read that Magic is not feeling well. Prayers and good thoughts coming your way. Please keep us updated.

Pat G