Merlin Is Sick Again :(

Sending soothing, healing thoughts to Merlin

Nancy & Nixon

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kerry, sending more good thoughts for Merlin. We are all pulling for both of you.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Kerry, I'm praying for you & Merlin. I've never been thru anything like this myself, but I can imagine how scared, sick & anxious you are about all of this. I'm so, so sorry and wish all the good thoughts being sent your way by so many people could cure your handsome boy & restore him to his oldself.

Hang in there. We're all pulling for you guys.

Barb

gallery_21421_3253_11008.jpg

Barb, Mom to Grey's Tickertape & Grey's McCarthy.
Always missing: Wizzie and Desi

Kerry, I'm so sorry Merlin is still dealing with this. I'm sorry I haven't been keeping up (stupid dial up vacation connection!). Some thoughts (sorry if they've been mentioned before):

A bland, home-cooked diet is normally boiled hamburger and rice, but if he has any issues either to the choice of protein or the choice of carb it will be counter-productive. Lots of greyhounds can't do rice OR cow meat. Carb options - sweet potato, cooked pasta, even whole grain bread. Protein - chicken/turkey for normal or something like tilapia for a blander unique protein.

If the US didn't show "anything" that would mean like a tumor or growth or inflammation??? Endoscopy might not show anything either, even if you did it. A biopsy of the intestinal wall can be conclusive but also a major risk and expensve to obtain.

If it is IBD, the greyhounds I know that have been treated successfully have a very strict diet regimen fed on an absolutely iron-tight schedule. No treats, no extras, nothing but what the dog can tolerate safely.

As Dude has dealt with his post chemo tummy troubles I find he needs some babying to eat. He was always my chow hound - eating anything and everything set down in front of him. But during post-chemo week he only wants dry kibble. Then dry kibble with some canned food ON THE SIDE not mixed in. Then kibble with a dribble of water and canned food on the side. Then transitioning bak to his regular meals. He also will not eat at his feeding place in the kitchen. He'll eat in the living room or bedroom if I feed it to him by hand or on a spoon or laying the meal on the bed/floor in front of him, but not out of his bowl. He's just a head case during that time period. You might try feeding Merlin in a different place or manner if he seems to go off his ID food. Then go back to normal.

You and your family are my thoughts. :grouphug

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Aw, Kerry! :bighug

What a nasty ride for both of you. I know you're working every angle to make things work, and it's so hard when you're short on sleep, and work is as imperative as taking care of your poor pup..... :(

I'm chanting, crossing appendages, and thinking good thoughts for you and Merlin that you and your wonderful vet can figure something out quickly, and Merlin can get back to casting his spells for good.

:bighug

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.

Just making a quick check-in on our Wizard this morning before I head out for the day.

Hope he had a good night...

Nancy & Nixon

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

I'm so sorry Merlin and you are going through all of this! :( :( :(

sending healing hugs to Merlin and you :(:hope :hope :hope:grouphug

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Kerry, I've been out of town for 2 weeks so had no idea any of this was going on. Just wanted to say that I'm thinking of you and hope you can get this all sorted out with the help of your vets. I know how deep your bond is with Merlin and sadly know from personal experience what it's like to watch your pup deteriorate. :(

One little tidbit, you might want to recheck on the timing of the sulcrafate and pepcid. I was told 2 hours between the former and any meds. The point of it is that it coats the stomach to protect it, which also inhibits absorption. My oncologist said it wasn't the end of the world if we didn't make that timeframe, but it's ideal so that one doesn't inhibit the other or vice versa. With Neyla, I would give the sulcrafate first, then wait an hour and a half (that's all we could wait), give pepcid, then feed in another 30 minutes. Or you could do pepcid, feed, then sulcrafate with similar spacing, but I liked the idea of giving hte sulcrafate before feeding. For what that's worth. :dunno

Edited by NeylasMom

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Is he drinking enough? Be sure to watch him for signs of dehydration and get him some sub-q fluids right away. Sutra had a bout of HGE and spent a night at the ER because he had vomited and had bloody diarrhea and was dehydrated.

When he was released from the hospital, we had Cerenia (anti-nausea drug), sucralfate, and some antibiotics. We just used the Cerenia a few times, but with the sucralfate, I would give it to him, wait 30 minutes, and then feed him (per our vet's instructions). As others have said, it basically coats the stomach so that food can go in there without it hurting. We stuck to mushy foods for several days...mashed potatoes, macaroni, baby food...all easy to digest and easy on the stomach (I think of kibble as being scratchy and rough as it's digested). He also drank some vanilla Ensure, and I kept a bowl of water by his bed so he didn't have to get up just to get a drink. I also fed him very small amounts, at times with a syringe if he wasn't interested in eating (we'd gotten to a point where he HAD to start eating). I'd feed him like 1/4 of a meal every few hours (which I realize is difficult if you have to be at work).

Hope things turn around for Merlin soon :goodluck

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Guest patgam

Just checking in on Merlin. Hope he's feeling better and that you are getting some much needed rest also. Hugs to all.

Pat G, Bell Walker & Bugsy

Guest IHeartDogs

One little tidbit, you might want to recheck on the timing of the sulcrafate and pepcid. I was told 2 hours between the former and any meds. The point of it is that it coats the stomach to protect it, which also inhibits absorption. My oncologist said it wasn't the end of the world if we didn't make that timeframe, but it's ideal so that one doesn't inhibit the other or vice versa. With Neyla, I would give the sulcrafate first, then wait an hour and a half (that's all we could wait), give pepcid, then feed in another 30 minutes. Or you could do pepcid, feed, then sulcrafate with similar spacing, but I liked the idea of giving hte sulcrafate before feeding. For what that's worth. :dunno

I agree with you. Sucralfate can only work in an empty stomach. It needs to bind/coat the stomach and intestines. Pop the pill in the mouth and then squirt a little water to make sure it dissolves in the stomach (or you could dissolve the pill in some water then squirt it in his mouth, some dogs dislike this though). Pepcid will inhibit the sucralfate if given too close.

Just be on the safe side give the sucralfate a couple hours before feeding the pepcid, then feeding food. I believe you can dose it every 8 hours.

Hope things are looking better. Give him some loving for all of us :grouphug

Edited by IHeartDogs

Sending more positive thoughts, hugs, and well wishes for Merlin and you too, Kerry!

:grouphug

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

We are all pulling for Merlin, and will keep sending out healing thoughts to you both. I'm so sorry you are going through this.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Checking in this morning with good thoughts for our wizard

Nancy, Nixon & the girls

Hi all - I'm sorry I've been stingy with the updates - I have SO much going on at the moment... work is killing me, we're having a crisis at home unrelated to Merlin, and then of course, first and foremost, there's so much to do in terms of the wizard, including talking to the vet and keeping daily logs up to date. Not easy to do considering I've had no more than 2 hours' sleep per night since Sunday... :coffee I'm kind of a wreck.

Thank you SO much for your continued thoughts and advice. They are helping more than you know.

Well, here's a GOOD update for a change. Since he started on the Sucralfate - oh my! What a change! :yay First of all, he is now eating, so I can give him his antibiotics. And he is keeping the food down! We separated the dogs the last couple of days while we were at work, so that Merlin wouldn't have to wear his muzzle, just in case he needed to vomit. I didn't want him to be uncomfortable and I'm always worried about the possibility of him choking on his vomit :unsure He was actually happy and playful with us when we got home yesterday! And very eager to go walkies. He was marching ahead like a trooper!!

We have been crushing the Sucralfate and then putting it in a syringe, then adding 2-3 ccs of water to the syringe, mixing it up, and administering that orally. Merlin really hates it, but I use my sing-songy voice and praise him as if he just won the London Marathon, so he deals with it. I'm just waiting for him to feel so much better that the stink-eye makes a reappearance :lol

I agree with you. Sucralfate can only work in an empty stomach. It needs to bind/coat the stomach and intestines. Pop the pill in the mouth and then squirt a little water to make sure it dissolves in the stomach (or you could dissolve the pill in some water then squirt it in his mouth, some dogs dislike this though). Pepcid will inhibit the sucralfate if given too close.

Just be on the safe side give the sucralfate a couple hours before feeding the pepcid, then feeding food. I believe you can dose it every 8 hours.

:unsure

Thank you for your suggestions... I will speak to my vet about this, as she said to give him the Pepcid 30 minutes after the Sucralfate, although she must know what she's talking about because the improvement has been AMAZING. His poop was even semi-formed this morning! Considering that on Wednesday night there was blood gushing out of his rear end, I am inclined to stick with what seems to be working. But I do give the Sucralfate a while before feeding. Still - I will call her to find out what she says. Maybe I'll try to give him the Sucralfate at 6pm, then the Pepcid at 7pm, than feed him. So far I've been giving him the Sucralfate, then waiting just ten minutes, feeding him and then giving him the Pepcid 30 mins later... :unsure

He wouldn't eat the wet I/D (I'm done with that stuff) but he is eating the dry kibble. The vet suggested the wet food because it's more easily digestible, but quite frankly he wasn't going to eat it, even after fasting for 36 + hours, and he was soooo hungry, and I was really worried about the interruption in the administration of Flagyl, so I tried the dry and he went for it.

I am sure we are nowhere near finding a solution, but I'm going to take it one step at a time and keep in touch with the vet every day or every other day.

Edited by MerlinsMum

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Guest Stripeyfan
yay.gif Merlin! Here are some more healing thoughts to make sure you stay on the mend, and Kelly sends a big wag! Edited by Stripeyfan

YAY our Merlin is starting to feel better!

Kerry, I hope you can start catching up on your rest this weekend so you start feeling better too ;)

Camp Broodie with tuxedo Summer 12 and tuxedo Dio 6

Missing KC Kitty 2000-2016, Myka and part of my heart 2006-2020, and Saint YellBoy 2014-2020