Merlin Is Sick Again :(

When we came back from his afternoon walk, Merlin's tummy started to get really LOUD again. Since pooping large amounts of blood and being diagnosed with HGE two weeks ago he's been on nothing but the I/D - wet and dry. A few days ago I bought (from my vet's office) a bag of I/D hypoallergenic treats that are ok to give with the I/D diet. Not sure if that's what caused tonight's upset stomach :dunno

In any event - I gave him 20mg of Pepcid as soon as I heard the gurgling because I could tell it wasn't just hunger. I took him out again as he paced and refused his dinner, and he wanted to walk and eat grass. He pooped again and his poop was absolutely fine... I don't know what's going on :cry1

His tummy seemed to calm down around 7.30pm - I think the Pepcid finally kicked in. He's been resting since then.. But if his stomach starts getting loud again, is it safe to give him more Pepcid? How much is too much?

I'm calling my vet to schedule an ultrasound for him tomorrow morning.

Edited by MerlinsMum

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh shoot, so sorry Merlin's having problems again! I haven't used Pepcid so I can't help with that. I would tend to doubt it's the treats, since those are designed for IBD dogs as well -- Beth's been on them too along with the food. Sending good thoughts -- you must be so anxious.

Is Merlin on Flagyl too? I do know it would almost certainly be safe to give him an extra dose if things seem to be getting worse. My vet told me recently in the wake of Beth's pancreatic issue that if Beth has acute diarrhea I should give her two 500 mg. pills per day -- double the usual dose.

How long has Merlin been on the dry I/D? Beth seemed to have some gurgly tummy for a while as we were introducing that, pretty loud at first, though it quieted down eventually. I never knew if it was from the food or from some digestive inflammation related to the condition. It never led to D, though, and now she seems to be doing great.

Edited by PrairieProf

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

I don't think it's the dry I/D... he's been on it since day two or three and it's been about two weeks since his episode. He took his last dose of Flagyl on Saturday morning, the head vet tech said to keep him on the Pepcid for a while longer. I switched him from 20mg a day to 10mg a day since last Friday. Not sure if that's too soon. I sure wish he was still on the Flagyl or that I'd asked for some more to keep at home when I was there on Saturday :(

I just don't want to give him more Pepcid if it's going to make matters worse. And yes - you're right - my stomach is in knots, worrying about my boy :cry1

Sigh. I just want to know what's wrong with him. I hate this.

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Oh yeah, I've decided a house is not a home without a stock of Flagyl. Hmmm, the timing might suggest that he does need still to be on it. Beth's been on it for about six weeks now, though we're now tapering down on a 250 mg. dose and will be going to every other day next week....

I'll be holding you guys in my thoughts and checking for updates.

Thank you for your thoughts - so appreciated.

I'm hoping someone here is still up and knows if I can give him another Pepcid during the night...?

Kerry, what does it say about human dosing? OK ... just looked at a box I had in my cabinet -- says no more than two over 24 hours. So it sounds OK to give a second if needed; I can't imagine there's anything very dangerous about it. Still hope too that someone who knows something will chime in soon.

." The recommended dose of Famotidine to be administered to pets is 0.25 to 0.5 mg per pound (0.5 to 1.0 mg/kg) every 12 to 24 hours." Taken from the petrx.com website. Does that help? Since I don't know how much Merlin weighs, I can only suggest that if he weighed 70 lbs, he could get 35 milligrams every 12 hours as a max dose.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

I've already given him two - that's what I gave him at 6pm. He's still not himself... but his ears perk up everytime I go into the kitchen. He's clearly hungry, but I'm not offering him any food at this point tonight. I'll let his stomach rest, and we'll see how he feels tomorrow. Right now he is on his bed looking sleepy, so... wish us an uneventful night... thanks.

:riphair

ETA - just saw your post, duncan41 - thanks! Merlin weighs 77lbs. I guess that means I could give him another if I really needed to... We'll see. If he gets bad we're goig to the e-vet anyway, I'm not taking any chances.

Edited by MerlinsMum

Sorry to hear his tummy is bothering him again. Dustin is still on the Flagyl (still the one per day). Looks like she gave him two weeks worth. He is also still on the sucralose to settle his stomach. That is a perscription med that she gave him.

Even with all that, two nights ago, he went out and started chowing on the grass again. His appetite was OK - but he wanted the grass. Poop stayed fine - though had grass in it the next morning.

He is on only the dry I/D.

I picked up panacur from her, but am waiting until he's off the other meds to try it.

Don't know about the pepcid dose. Wish I could help on that front.

Good thoughts from 150 miles south.....

Robin

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Just wanted to pipe in -- more pepcid is not always better. While pepcid can ease an ailing tummy it can produce diarrhea in some dogs. The way he's acting-- the panting and pacing he may be developing a diarrhea blow out. This is the behavor my ibd presented with before his flair ups.

Edited by tbhounds

No more than 20mg a day.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

How is Merlin doing today, Kerry?

Bow Wow Wow Yippie Yo Yippie Yay :)

Siggy4.jpg

Johanna with hounds: Woodie (Molly's Marvin) (Grenade X Kh Molly) and Petra (Make Her a Pet) (Dodgem By Design X Late Nite Oasis)

and forever missing Hurley (Jel Try Out) (Gable Dodge X Kings Teresa) with Kalapaki Beach in Kauai as the background

How is he doing today?

You can give 10-20 mg pepcid every 8-12 hours. I would recommend consulting with the vet if you feel a need to give more than 30 mg/day or if you're giving longterm. Here, I usually wait until there are signs of nausea or inappetance before giving (unless I'm giving something else like NSAIDs or antibiotics). Sometimes a gurgle is just a gurgle :) .

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest SoulsMom

How's he doing this morning? I would suspect he needs to continue the Flagyl too. I agree with Beth, a house is not a home without Flagyl. And I've never heard of those I/D treats, are they by Hills and the same formula as the I/D diet? Those could be the culprit as well. I always knew that Soul was about to relapse when he would try to eat grass and get the gurgly tummy. Grass always made it worse to I tried to keep him from munching on it. Never really gave the Pepcid much, usually I'd just start him right back on the Flagyl.

I understand the frustration and worry. This went on for Soul and I for almost six months. Even when he was on nothing but the I/D and a piece of bread before bedtime. I remember once I was about to pull my hair out because he was sick one morning---gurgly tummy,refused breakfast, and tried to eat grass. NOTHING had changed in his diet so I had no idea what was causing the upset tummy. Then I realized that was so tired the night before that I had forgotten to give him his bread. I offered him a piece and he wolfed it down with that wild look in his eyes. He instinctively knew what he needed.

ETA: he's on strictly the I/D right? No add ins like probiotics?

Edited by SoulsMom

Thanks all. We're at the vet's, waiting for Dr. Katie. Really hoping to go home with some more Flagyl. I spoke to the head vet tech and she agreed that it was time for an ultrasound. She is calling the place -- they don't do them at my vet's -- to see if they can fit him in today. :goodluck

We had a rough night, but he did get some sleep. He seemed to draw comfort from having my hand stroking him, and would often grow restless if I stopped, so... didn't stop all night :blush He had dark diarrhea this morning with a drop of blood in it.

What's weird is that his stomach is quiet this morning. No growlies, and he ate 1/2 can of I/D. He's in good spirits...

Glad you're at the vet -- sorry for the unpromising poop, though. At least you know you weren't making something out of nothing.

Those Hill's hypoallergenic treats are designed to go with I/D, D/D, and Z/D. I think their formula is closest to Z/D -- they're made with hydrolyzed protein. They do have different ingredients than I/D, but I would think if Z/D dogs (some of whom have severe IBD) can tolerate them, they're probably OK. But it wouldn't hurt to stop them for the moment, for sure.

As Anne said, the treats are designed to be given with the I/D diet. The head vet tech thinks it's highly unlikely that they caused the problem, she said clearly something else is going on. They managed to fit us in at 11am, so I'll be taking Merlin for an ultrasound shortly. I also got some more Flagyl from my vet.

Can I just say once again how AWESOME she is?? :blush

Anyway... I'm glad I have some more Metronidazole. Can't imagine a second night like last night. Apart from the worry, I'm so sleep deprived I can barely stay awake right now. 474c7039.gif

Guest SoulsMom

:goodluck It's so frustrating, I know :sad1 And it can take so long to figure out what 'works' for these tummy issues in the long run. I wouldn't discount the treats as the cause just yet, it's trial and error to figure it out. Like I said, Soul relapsed because I forgot one piece of bread. I know you are keeping a good log to watch for patterns, etc :nod

For a long time I had to keep Soul on the I/D only and a piece of bread at bedtime and NOTHING else to let his tummy 'settle'. Finally I was able to give him tiny treats of other things here and there, and now he can actually have 'regular' cookies and other small treats, but not much. In the beginning, any little addition or change to his diet upset his fragile tummy

Guest greytbookert

Hi Kerry -

I can totally relate to how frustrating this is for you and for Merlin. I went through a similar issue with Booker several years ago. When the prescription diets didn't work (he refused it, basically) I worked with a nutritionist and holistic vet and we created a diet that was designed to calm his digestive tract. If you want me to share what we did, let me know. It's not hard to prepare.

Still thinking of you and Merlin!

Thanks for your input, Amber. Your experience with Soul is helping me figure things out. I'm still clueless but it helps to know there are people here i can lean on who've been through this before - even though I wish no one hadto go through this with their pup :cry1

Well, my appointment was for 11am and the ultrasound place has a really hot, cramped waiting area, and we waited for 35 minutes to see the vet there. I was getting cranky because I haven't slept since Monday night, the dogs had nowhere to lie down and were panting - finally I just asked how much longer it was going to take. They were actually very nice and explained that they'd had two emergencies that morning... Which of course made me feel bad for even asking. What if Merlin had been the emegency? :( I apologized. Merlin is in there getting an ultrasound right now. The consultation with the vet lasted about 4-5 minutes and they are charging $130! :eek:yikes:jaw With the ultrasound it will be around $570. Good thing he's insured... But at this point I just want some answers!

The vet said that if the ultrasound Is clear, she thinks Merlin should be on Flagyl for a good 3-4 more weeks.

Thanks for all your nice comments & advice.

Hoping for some answers (or, well, a clear ultrasound because that's good news, even if it doesn't turn up a firm answer). Several weeks of Flagyl sounds like a good measure -- if he's got some serious inflammation going in his GI system it can evidently take longer than a week for it to really heal.

Stupid question, but I forget: what are you precisely looking for with the ultrasound?

If the ultrasound is negative, would it be worthwhile running bloodtests for folate/cobalamin (for SIBO) and TLI (pancreatic function)? I know Beth's issues were different, not the HGE which is very likely totally different, but it was the first thing that turned up some meaningful data on her. Might be worth asking your vet about at least.

Edited by PrairieProf