My sweet boy Lucas (Hilco Koolin) 1/1/2013 - 4/27/2022

GreytOwl

It has taken me a year to be able to finally write this remembrance of my darling gentle hound, Lucas.

I fell in love with greyhounds at my first encounter with them, but it took over 20 years for me to finally bring one home. In the meantime, I'd read everything I could, lurked and lurked for years on GreyTalk, hoped and dreamed and then on May 1, 2016, we picked up our boy and life was never the same. The day we met him, he picked me. We were introduced to 13 different hounds and, once we met, he would not leave my side. In all the years we had him, my husband always joked that Lucas should wear a jacket that stated "I'm with her." I discovered what folks meant when they described a heart dog.

His first minute in our house, he shot through the back door and directly to the kitchen counter where he promptly chomped down a stick of butter. I shouted in surprise and scared the bejeepers out of him and from that moment on he never touched a thing on our counter or table top. Not peanut butter, not steak, not a thing. Our first night together, at 1 am, 3 am 5 am, up he hopped from his bed to stick his nose in my face to make sure I was still there.  I was up at 2,4 and 6 to make sure he was real and I wasn't just dreaming.

He was a gentleman always - never stepping through a doorway unless I went first. With the utmost patience, he put up with daily tooth brushing, because it was what we did right before our first long walk of the day.  We were adventurers together, exploring parks and trails and coastlines and our own neighborhood, and then starting all over again.  He was the soul of patience. He met chihuauas and bulldogs and cats (yes cats!) with the same restrained equanimity. 

During his first year with us, he developed the dreaded corns on not one, nor two, but on three of his paws. We tried every shoe made, and finally found the perfect fit. Giving up walks was never an option. Not long after his first spacewalk with his new shoes, he was lifting his paws one by one, ever so gently, to help us put them on.

He loved to lick out the mashed potato pan. Turkey necks: a superb gourmet delight. But peanut butter, oh, peanut butter is food of the gods.  

His favorite game: Home from a diner out, my husband and I would split leftover fries between us and stand in opposite corners of the yard. Then we'd let loose the houndie, who ran like a maniac from one of us to the other, grabbing a french fry reward on each lap. There were never enough fries, never.

I'll never forget the first time he licked an ice cream cone.

I'll never forget his hopping jumping dance of joy whenever I came in the front door whether I'd been out for hours or just 5 minutes.

I'll never forget his every 'good night, last call, here are my ears for scritchies' manueuver.

I'll never, ever forget him.

I love you, Lucas. I miss you so. Thank you, thank you, thank you for being my dearest, my best, my darling boy. 

Wonderful tribute to the best boy Lucas. 

So very sorry for your loss of your amazing friend.

Mom to Ranger (PB's Long Ranger), Esso (Kiowa Stay Over) and Cookie the rattie mix

Missing Kahn (Gil's Khan) 10-29-03 - 11-7-16  Belle (Regall Belooow) 8-9-07 - 3-12-17  Star (Greyt Star) 1-19-07 - 3-13-2020  Pitch (Emerald Pitch) 4-1-08 - 6-3-2020

I'm so sorry for your loss. It sounds like you and Lucas gave each other a wonderful life. Rest well, sweet boy.

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

The perfect tribute for a perfect boy. Run-free, Lucas. :f_red

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

What a lovely relationship you and Lucas had - and what a beautiful tribute you have written for him.

Run free Lucas :gh_run2

And a :f_whiteand a :grouphug for you GreytOwl

Clare with Tiger (Snapper Gar, b. 18/05/2015), and remembering Ken (Boomtown Ken, 01/05/2011-21/02/2020) and Doc (Barefoot Doctor, 20/08/2001-15/04/2015).

"It is also to be noted of every species, that the handsomest of each move best ... and beasts of the most elegant form, always excel in speed; of this, the horse and greyhound are beautiful examples."----Wiliam Hogarth, The Analysis of Beauty, 1753.

What a beautiful loving tribute to your beloved Lucas. I'm so sorry he couldn't stay longer. :grouphug

Lucas sounds a lot like my first Greyhound, Piper the Perfect.  I know what it is to lose your heart to such a one.

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

I have added Lucas' name to the list of Bridge Angels in April 2022 here on Greytalk. He is in good company.  :grouphug

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

How you loved and understood each other. That is a special gift. :grouphug

Rest well, dear boy. 

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

I am in tears from reading your tribute.  There are no other dogs like this breed.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

What a wonderful tribute to an amazing grey!    It brought tears to my eyes.  :cry1 

gallery_22163_3545_9670.jpg

Humans Kathy and Jim with our girls, Ivy (Carolina Spoon) and Cherry (Fly Cherry Pie)

Missing our beautiful angel Breeze (Dighton Breeze) and angel Beka (BM Beko) - you are forever in our hearts.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm so very sorry. You wrote a beautiful remembrance for a very special boy who was much too young to have to leave.

Godspeed Lucas.

Edited by GreyPoopon

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

What a powerful and beautiful tribute! I so enjoyed reading of his personality and antics and wow! what a guy :beatheart.  He will be with you always.

"What we have enjoyed we can never lose…All that we love deeply becomes a part of us."-Helen Keller

For love is as strong as death,                                          :f_red
Many waters cannot quench love,
Nor can the floods drown it.

Song of Solomon 8:6-7

Until we meet again..
You say that all you have left are memories but this is not so.
You see, when I took leave of my earthly body I left a little something behind for you.
You can't touch it, hold it or examine it, for what I left behind is far too uninhibited for confinement.
I left in your tender care a piece of my soul.
I placed it right next to your own which is quite fitting as we were always side by side in our earthly life together.
I love you too much to have left you with nothing but memories that tend to fade and grow cloudy as the years go by.
I love you too much to have vanished without a trace. How selfish it would be of me to remove love and light from your life.
I understand your tears, each one you shed is testament to your love for me and I am honored and humbled.
But don't forget the good things we shared - remember and smile. This is an honor for me as well.
When you need me I will be here.
Close your eyes, relax, take slow, deep breaths and picture me in your mind.
Shut off the world and your notions of what you think death is and give me a chance.
Look for the subtle signs I send you.
Don't stop being proud of me, I am a friend to be proud of, I am still your friend and soul mate.
Don't memorialize the death of my body but instead honor and celebrate my never-ending life for it is eternal
and forever as is my love for you.
Until we meet again...

(Only part of a very long heart felt poem by Terri Oronato)