Opinions about other than ex racers

Toffeesdad

Not sure this is the right section but here goes.  We lost out boy Toffee during the holidays to lymphoma.  We miss him but glad he’s no longer suffering.  My wife and I have really fallen for sight hounds but looking at the rescues in our area, (KY), ex racers are pretty scarce compared to when we adopted Toffee.  
I’ve looked at akc puppies but they’re expensive and at my advanced years I’m not sure about a puppy.  Does anyone have experience with adopting galgos?  Borzois?  Sloughi?  Saluki?

This forum has always been such a resource for us, thanks to all.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

I'm sorry for your loss. Losing them on the holidays always feels like you were sucker punched. 

There are some folks here with all of the various sighthounds that you mentioned including galgos. Posting just to bump this up for visibility. 

There are also some people who who can help you find a greyhound outside of your immediate area, so don't give up on greyhounds yet if you still prefer to have one. Good luck! 

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

GPA Nashville is another group that is still getting hounds from the West Virginia tracks. Although you might be close enough to get to WV yourself? 

Southland closed their track December 31, but they still have a few dogs available at the adoption kennel in W. Memphis. Not sure if they are accepting new applications at this point but they might make an exception for a hound-experienced home: https://www.msgao.org/adopt

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

I'm so sorry about Toffee.

One thing about galgos that has prevented me from adopting is that, unlike greyhounds, they are jumpers.  A 6-ft fence or on-leash only is generally recommended.  But when I want to go window shopping, I look at SAGE -- Save a Galgo Espanol.  They adopt within a 6-hr drive from Harrisburg, PA.  

Edited by EllenEveBaz

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

I'm not sure about your area, but here in the Northeast a lot of adoption group have started to get ex-racing greyhounds from Ireland. From what I have learned they seem to be very similar to U.S. ex-racers. 

Forever in my heart: my girl Raspberry & my boys Quiet Man, Murphy, Ducky, Wylie & Theo
www.greyhoundadventures.org & www.greyhoundamberalert.org & www.duckypaws.com

Greyhound Angels in Williamstown, NJ does out the area adoptions.  They get dogs from WV very often.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/11/2023 at 2:20 PM, Houndtime said:

Greyhound Angels in Williamstown, NJ does out the area adoptions.  They get dogs from WV very often.

Yes, we got the greyhound female, B's Bugsy last September from GAA.

Contact Lisa.  She is the best!

Soon, Cassy & Twitter

Angel Hounds: Rowdy, Easy & Harry

I'm in Ontario so can't help find you any groups for the Irish Greys or Galgos, but....

... we have an Irish Greyhound who came to us 5 years ago, and also a Spanish Galgo who's been with us for 4 years in June.

Sid the Irish fellow is pretty much like our 3 USA ex-racers in temperament.  His build is thicker and his nose not quite as long and pointy and he was well-loved by his owner/handler/trainers. 

The Spanish Fellow is not anything like an ex-racer.  He was a bit anxious...he had a lot of changes in a few months due to his injuries and moving homes 3 times.   It didn't take him long to learn to chill out from our Greyhounds!

Part of our fence is only 4' and the rest is 5' but our Galgo had some serious neck injuries plus a broken hock and was deemed 'non-jumping' by the finca in Spain (112 Carlota), otherwise they do all require a minimum 6' fence.

Good luck in your search!

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

I’m thinking of an American style lurcher, one of the Greyhound X coonhound variety. 

Milo (greyhound x coonhound x whippet) says you can't go wrong with this choice, especially if you want a dog with endurance and the capability of wiping out your small critter populations.  Seriously, except for the dead animals deposited on my living room rug, he is a great dog.  

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

57 minutes ago, EllenEveBaz said:

Milo (greyhound x coonhound x whippet) says you can't go wrong with this choice, especially if you want a dog with endurance and the capability of wiping out your small critter populations.  Seriously, except for the dead animals deposited on my living room rug, he is a great dog.  

It could be worse :dunno

Good job, Milo!

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

On 1/20/2023 at 1:46 PM, kudzu said:

I’m thinking of an American style lurcher, one of the Greyhound X coonhound variety. 

Contact the American Lurcher Project.  They have a good number of dogs - some purebred greyhounds, some various kinds of greyhound crosses (lurchers and longdogs) - and adopt all over the country.  I think their kennels are still in the Ohio area, which should be fairly close to you.

Most sighthounds are going to be "similar" to one another.  Greyhounds are just the most sighthound-y because they've been purpose bred for racing for so many centuries.  Other sighthound breeds have been relegated to field competitions and amateur racing (and underground competitions in the case of some), so there are a lot less of them around.  All AKC bred puppies are going to be about the same cost.  It's mostly about how hard you have to search for a good breeder, how long you have to wait until they breed a litter, and how long you have to wait in line to get an available one.  

Of the breeds you mentioned, I've met and interacted with most of the sighthound breeds at coursing trails and LGRA racing meets.  Which are really good places to get to know people involved with maintaining their breeds.  And most people are more than happy to talk about their dogs and let you pet them.  If you're considering a coated breed like Zois or Salukis, just keep in mind the added care all that fur takes.  They could be muddy messes by the end of a rainy day of racing!

One group I've been following closely is the National Borzoi Rescue Foundation.  When I started following them several years ago they were mainly focusing on importing Borzoi in need from Asian meat markets and Russian rescues.  Recently they have been instrumental in getting Borzoi and their families out of Ukraine and into safe situations across Europe and the US, and providing food and care to ones still under the threat of war in their country.  But they are still placing rescue Borzoi.

Good luck!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Milo could get a job exterminating rats in a big city or a farm!

It's funny how some greys (ahem, Fuzzy!) don't mind an indoor cat, but get them outside, and everything is a target. 

I've met a few Borzoi, their coat is super soft. One sat next to Johnny at a picnic, he didn't mind too much, seemed like a calm fellow, but I guess it depends on the individual!

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

One of the greyhound/mix lurchers that was part of the LA freeway escape went to a FL group. Within 2 days she had jumped or climbed the 4 ft fence. As of late last night they were still looking for her and she was miles away from where she escaped. Not saying all lurchers would be difficult to contain but I sure would want to know if the dog had been well vetted at a foster home to evaluate escape risk.

I think borzois are beautiful dogs but all the ones I've met have a quirky temperment.

Have you ever heard the "saluki scream"? A friend has had several and each time they moved to a new neighborhood they warned the neighbors that salukis scream more than bark. They worried one couple to the point that they thought they might have to call the police to investigate a crime.

I have podencos. from Spain and Portugal. They come in various heights and conformations. Three of my 4 adjusted to my home easily. One is extremely shy. Not have been destructive in the house. Check the Senior Sighthound Sanctuary run by Tracey McLaurin. She gets in a variety of breeds and a few are from the US.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

2 hours ago, macoduck said:

Check the Senior Sighthound Sanctuary run by Tracey McLaurin. She gets in a variety of breeds and a few are from the US.

Thanks for this! 

Also, nearly all my dogs have been capable of jumping our 4 foot fence. Only one ever did it. She was a lurcher, 3/4 sighthound. However, she only jumped the fence when I was outside, visible & on the opposite side of the fence from her. I could preempt that by looking straight at her & saying, “Wait!” I’ve always wondered why so many dogs & horses stay inside fences they could jump. 

To date, I’ve only had 3 lurchers. (Guess that technically the staghound was a longdog.) All were wonderful dogs, but highly variable in size, looks & behaviors. Adopting lurchers, like any mix breed, can be a crapshoot. 

Salukis are endurance runners; lord have mercy if they escape. And they are surprisingly small as compared with greyhounds. Every now and again, Saluki Tree of Life Association (STOLA) used to get in salukis from the middle east; apparently they are kept without climate control in 100F+ heat. Supposedly they can vault an 8' wall, although the usual recommendation is a 6' wall. I know greyhounds hold the world record for jumping walls, but supposedly salukis can pogo a remarkable height.

Two other similar breeds that are fascinating, where rescues very rarely become available: the Arabian greyhound, known as the Sloughi, and the Azawakh, a greyhound-like breed from West Africa. Both are rather small, 35-55 pounds, maybe a little bigger than salukis.

Sloughis are generally very healthy; one condition (progressive retinal atrophy) has a simple blood test. Similarly, Azawakhs have been bred for performance (versus appearance) and are generally very healthy.

For any of these breeds, one might recommend a GPS dog collar.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

The former director of our adoption group got an azawakh.  It looked like someone had gotten an x-acto knife and shaved off everything extra  off a greyhound.  You don't think of a greyhound as bulky until you see an azawakh. 

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

The few azawakhs I have met were extremely standoffish, to both people (other than their owner) and greyhounds.

tiny hada siggy.png

A couple folks in my LGRA group have Azawakhs and they are lovely dogs.  A bit standoff-ish, but not any more than a self-confident greyhound.  They are quite striking looking.  They are very rare and very difficult to find though, and expensive when you do.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I've seen pics of the Polish greyhound, I wonder if anyone has experience w/them? I would NOT be looking to adopt, just curious!

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

I shared a hotel room at a greyhound event many years ago with a woman that had an Azawakh and he was very reserved. Not unfriendly, just, reserved, but he got along fine with my two greys and her greyhound. She had gotten him from GALT, apparently there had been a breeder in Oklahoma trying to use them for coyote dogs, so there might still be some, or some crosses, around in the Midwest. But a purebred, yes, very rare and expensive.

• 2 weeks later...

Our current hounds are both galgos.  We've found them to be very similar to greyhounds.  They sit, which was initially disconcerting.

They are goofy, loving, and two of the best of the hounds we've had.  Some galgos may have trauma from ill-treatment, but neither of ours have had that - they have been friendly, people loving dogs from the start.

Karen with Tessye (galgo b 2017), Fidel (galgo b c2012), and bridge kids Dublin (J's Texmex 1996-12/31/01), Daisy (Assurance 8/8/95-9/26/07),  Bubba (Kelsos Irony b 5/99-8/19/10), and Mabel (Googly Spin  1/06-11/19)

greytalk-siggie-feb-2023.jpg

On 1/30/2023 at 7:13 PM, palmettobug said:

I've seen pics of the Polish greyhound, I wonder if anyone has experience w/them? I would NOT be looking to adopt, just curious!

The Chart Polski (Heart Polskee spoken) is a great dog. A friend of mine has got one. He is a large dog, bigger than my irish greyhounds.  And as all eastern european sighthounds they tend to be slightly stand-offish, very courageous, autonomous and often not really friendly with other dogs. You need to be as strong in character as they are for them to respect you and follow you as their leader. 

I like Kano who I know since he was a puppy but I am also always careful  around him.

Edited by Nadine
Awful spelling and grammar 🙄