Jump to content

ahicks51

Members
  • Content Count

    1,432
  • Joined

  • Last visited

About ahicks51

  • Rank
    Greyaholic

Previous Fields

  • Real Name
    Aaron

Contact Methods

  • Website URL
    http://
  • ICQ
    0

Profile Information

  • Location
    Chandler, AZ

Recent Profile Visitors

458 profile views
  1. We're fortunate in that in Arizona, it's generally too dry (and for much of the year, too hot) for the eggs to hatch and the larvae are generally unable to survive in the ground. Provided any stool in the yard is picked up before the eggs have a chance to hatch (1-2 days under warm, moist conditions), the number of larvae in the soil can be controlled. We frequently get in fosters, so provided we pick up after every dog every day, it's possible to prevent spread. Given enough time, worms will "age out," and die within a year or two. This is a reasonable way to treat low-level infesta
  2. Not on FB, but I found the group she's with and dropped an email. Thanks!
  3. Anyone know how to reach the Birmingham Racing Commission, or anyone else in Alabama that can tell me why a given dog was a vet scratch on a given date? NGA isn't helping, says the records are owned by an individual, and that person does not have voice mail set up.
  4. Sorry to drag up an old thread, but- He was at Hemopet in California for three years? Or Texas?
  5. Sad ending, so stop reading now if it'll be upsetting. Speedy started to decline and was euthanized Monday despite vet neuro consult on Friday and some slight modifications to his meds. The pheno didn't seem to be causing his ataxia and other symptoms, or at least they didn't improve substantially even after we reduced the dose. The vet wasn't convinced Speedy was even having seizures; the (lousy) video we provided, along with our observations, suggested he had tremors or wobbling, versus a seizure. He sure as heck behaved post-ictal after his tremors, so I don't know what to think. We
  6. The seizures are very mild and a secondary symptom. He has a blown right pupil and inflammation of the brain with negative bloods for infection and VF. It may be VF with CNS involvement such that there's a negative serum titer, but antibodies are present in the CSF. So, while treating with doxy (for an infection or latent TBD that's not showing up on a tick panel), prednisone (for the inflammation of the brain), fluconazole (for a potential VF infection), and phenobarbital for the seizures, I was hoping to find out whether or not 90 mg BID pheno is too much, and that seems to be the case.
  7. It's bad because we've had him since March and these are the first seizures we've seen; between this and other symptoms, if it's not valley fever, then it's likely he will not be with us very much longer. Even if it is VF, CNS involvement is quite serious and can required prolonged- even life-long- prescription anti-fungal meds.
  8. We're hopeful that a veterinary neurologist will not be necessary, because if it's not valley fever, the diagnosis is rather bleak; any additional diagnostic tests must be weighed against the costs to the adoption group and helping other dogs. If it *is* VF, then our hope is that the fluconazole will put it into remission, although CNS involvement with VF is quite serious. So I'm hoping to make the best with which we are given, and (first off) ensure the ataxia and other symptoms are from too much pheno (versus brain inflammation), and secondly to see if less pheno is an option.
  9. Speedy (5 yo male greyhound, ~75 pounds) was prescribed 90mg BID phenobarbital for seizures; his seizures- while sometimes prolonged- are quite mild. We suspect the underlying cause may be valley fever (coccidioidiomycosis); blood tests are negative, but apparently animals can have CNS involvement without antibodies in the blood. By day 5, he was stumbling, having problems standing, ataxia, pacing. The vet was consulted, and he stated we should stay at that dosage. Vet has experience with greyhounds, and "inherited" a practice from a retiring vet with extensive greyhound experience. Ar
  10. Negative for TBDs, negative for Valley Fever. A bad combination. The prednisone (and/or the doxycycline) seems to be doing something, and he was a bit better today. If he's fed when he wakes up at dawn, his whining becomes somewhat diminished, allowing The Lisa to get a bit more sleep. Another small seizure this afternoon. Added phenobarbital this evening. Next steps include fluconazole (in the event the VF is a false negative), and play it by ear. CT or MRI would be on the agenda, but cost has to be measured by the adoption agency, as well as to what ends a scan might yield any long-t
  11. All right. So, last evening was not a good night. There was languishing and anguish and discomfort, and... then a seizure. We've had him 10 months, and nothing of the sort previously. And it was a prolonged one- I'd call it status epilepticus, but for the fact that he was breathing the entire time, and there were no strong muscle contractions. Urine was normal this morning (no apparent rhabdo). Also noticed this morning his right pupil is dilated, doesn't respond to light. Didn't sleep well last night, average-to-slightly-more-whining-than-usual. Came home for lunch to get some work done,
  12. Thanks everybody for the insights. This evening was fun. I got home from work around 7, by which point in time the whining had hit a fever pitch- or so I thought. It managed to get *worse* and for a while I was ready to cart him off to the E-vet. He was actually whining to the point where there was some mild panting- he wouldn't settle down, and when he went outside, he refused to do anything except come back in. I grabbed some kibble from the bag, and he ate from my hand- OK, no problems there, not hurting bad enough to not eat. We fed all the dogs, and he ate his meal, then laid down
  13. We've fostered 30-40 hounds over the years; this one has been problematic for several reasons. We've had Speedy for ~8 months now, awaiting a home. He presents a difficult placement in that he's smart or aggressive (managed to open the latch on the back gate when a crazy ranting drifter walked by, causing all four dogs to spill out into the street- all recovered without injury), he's not cat safe, he's a big black dog, and he may have dominance issues with other breeds (dang near tore Tito's ear off- it's fine now). First we weren't feeding him enough. He whined. We fixed that, and got sle
  14. We took him to the "usual" vet, but he was out and we got some guy that must've gotten his degree from the University of Transylvania. He just wasn't very useful, and instead of getting a benzodiazepine like I was hoping for, we got Ace. That was a mistake. Hadn't heard of Sileo. Aside from the price and how it can't be stored for any length of time, it looks like another option that's better than Ace. I forgot to mention that Tito is now getting thunder-phobic, but it's been a miserable monsoon season here in Phoenix so there's not much thunder, really.
  15. All our dogs are greyhounds, except Tito, an 80-pound bucket of fur. We've been fortunate that all of our dogs and fosters have been pretty much bulletproof when it comes to thunder and fireworks. But a few years back, Arizona legalized certain fireworks, and people took advantage of that and started using whatever the heck they could buy, and now twice a year Tito gets very upset. And when an 80-pound dog that is pure muscle gets upset, he can tear a house apart. Crating doesn't help; he gets destructive, starts chewing the bars, and won't settle down. The past year or two, putting hi
×
×
  • Create New...