How often to bath your Greyhound

My 6 year old boy (Very short hair) got his first groom in 6 months today. The groomer recommends every 8 weeks for grooming. He is  always leashed when outside, never free to roll in the grass, dirt, etc. Consequently, his coat remains relatively clean. I trim his nails myself so that’s not a problem and check his ears often. How often do people on here bath their dogs?

Edited by keeperdean

The only one of my greyhounds that got semi-regular baths was my white and brindle boy that loved playing in the mud :lol The others, regular brushing was fine for them, they were rarely, if ever, bathed. Unless he gets dirty or has a skin condition, I think every eight weeks is too often.

26 minutes ago, spottydog said:

Um, never?

Yup!

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

We used to joke that we gave our first two hounds a bath once a year whether they needed it or not. We brushed them occasionally, but not that often.

Then came Falcon, who did not like water and had some space aggression issues. He never "needed" one so he was with us for almost 6 years with no bath. I wiped him down or spot-treated him a couple of times though.

Henry and Lucia have been with us more than two years now and have't had a bath since their haul day. 

I'd say it depends on the dog but every 8 weeks? :lol No way!

Kendra, devoted walker of Henry (Tom Jones: Great Son x Lucia)

Missing Badger (Vf Get R Done: Quicksand Slip x Ll Tee el See), 5/04 - 2/14, who opened our hearts and our home to greyhounds; Kenzie (Slatex Kenzie: Randy Handy x Slatex Chrisy), 4/03 - 10/14, who really knew what a good dog she was; Falcon (Atascocita Sabat: Dodgem by Design x Atascocita Barb), 9/10 - 1/20, who was grumpy and snarky but eventually a little bit cuddly, too; Grandpa Grey the Galgo Español, 2008 (?) to 2022, who made us feel lucky to be the ones to teach him about pet life; and Lucia (Larking About x Anastasia, 5/12 to 8/23), our first brood matron and the sweetest speckly girl. 

A good rain, a big towel, and, you are done.  I do usually give them an outside bath in the summer.  I dremel nails myself.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Another vote for nearly never.

I bathed Grace a couple of weeks after I had her to get rid of the smell from the flea/tick goo the adoption group had put on the back of her neck and Guinness had a dry shampoo to remove the smell from the kennels and ever since then it's as Houndtime says "A good rain, a big towel and you are done."

Unlike most dogs greyhounds don't produce waterproofing oil in their coats so the dirt and dust doesn't stick to it causing a doggy smell.

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

every couple of months. i have a super acute sense of smell and can tell when a dog is dirty. a good friend who was a groomer and has IGs and a fantastic afghan uses Pantene Pro V on her dogs. it's what i use now- oatmeal shampoo isn't necessary if one uses that and it's far more affordable. and if your dog does something unsightly, rolling in poo and they just had a bath- just wash again. they won't die from an extra bath. 

run your fingers and nails up their coat a couple of times and smell your finger tips. that is a good way to check.

I'm in the fewer than yearly camp.  Mostly because our dogs have their own wading pool in the summer and manage to bath themselves.  Their skins are thin and their haircoats are thin and too much soap-and-water bathing can dry both out really quickly.  A good brushing weekly helps distribute coat oils, and get rid of dead hair and dirt. and will do more good than an actual bath, IMO.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

We take ours to the groomer every 8-12 weeks but not because he is smelly - our groomer does a doggy massage which Buddy really, really enjoys, so I leave him there every once in a while. He is one chilled dude when I pick him up. She also trims the swirly hair on his bum. If we haven’t been to see her for a while, Buddy tries to trick me in to going to her house while we are out for a walk :lol

Buddy Molly 🌈 5/11/10-10/10/23

On 4/26/2022 at 9:53 AM, cleptogrey said:

every couple of months. i have a super acute sense of smell and can tell when a dog is dirty. a good friend who was a groomer and has IGs and a fantastic afghan uses Pantene Pro V on her dogs. it's what i use now- oatmeal shampoo isn't necessary if one uses that and it's far more affordable. and if your dog does something unsightly, rolling in poo and they just had a bath- just wash again. they won't die from an extra bath. 

run your fingers and nails up their coat a couple of times and smell your finger tips. that is a good way to check.

I am in the same camp--every few months for Stanley. 

I do brush him several times per week and that certainly removes loose hair/skin.  But the brush doesn't reach everywhere (ankles, inner thighs,..... nether regions  :lol: ).  My test is less about checking for odor (although that is def. a factor) but more about feel....if I feel a lot of residue between my fingers then bath-date is getting close.  We have a local groomer that uses a hydro-surge tub--which is another thing we can't duplicate at home.

Was a subscriber in the mid 2000s (the aughts!).  Reactivated in 2021.  What'd I miss?

• 1 month later...

WAIT!!! WHAT?!?! We're suppose to bathe our hounds?!?!

large.rycezmom_Sig.jpg.c7b7915d082b1bb35
The more I see of man, the more I like dogs. ~Mme. de Staël
Missing my Bridge Angels Ryce, Bo, Jim, Miss Millie, Miss Rose, Gustopher P Jones (Pimpmaster G), Miss Isabella and Miss Star

• 2 weeks later...

Almost never. He don't like it and he don't need it and his coat is healthier withOUT washings.  I do brush him very occasionally but groomers are thinking about the $$ for baths they don't need and which could actually dry out their skin/coat -even using the best products. JMO.