Greyhounds Just Too Big for Me Now

ShebasMom

Since Sheba passed December 6, I have decided I no longer can have a large dog as a companion because of my age (77) and strength loss. Sheba weighed 60 pounds, and when she no longer could jump into the car because of her hip arthritis, I had to get assistance from friends and neighbors to get her into the car for a vet visit. I had a lift-assist harness on her that allowed me to get her back up if she slipped, but I still couldn't lift her off the ground by myself. Then she no longer could jump out of the car, so I had to get assistance with that, too. I considered assistance steps but decided not to since she was almost 14 and failing.

So now I will be searching for a smaller dog. I'm not particularly fond of the tiny ones, so will be looking for dogs in the 30-35 pound range. A small-ish Beagle comes to mind. No puppies at this stage of my life, just an adult or senior rescue. It is a tough choice, because I have always had large dogs, first Great Danes, then Greyhounds, and love the large breeds.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am in exactly the same spot. Sadly, Val will be my last greyhound. Since I prefer the seniors, that leads to dogs needing assistance more often, and I just can’t physically handle a 60+ lb dog anymore. :cry1 

Not sure what I will do when she passes.

Edited by Remolacha

I faced exactly the same situation - no longer able to care for a dog.  It's painful for sure.

gallery_15026_2920_5914.jpg
Marc and Myun plus Starbuck (the cat)
Pinky my AWOL girl, wherever you are, I miss you.
Angels Honey (6/30/99-11/3/11) Nadia (5/11/99-6/4/12) Kara (6/5/99-7/17/12) Cleo (4/13/2000-4/19/2014)

Antnee (12/1/2002=2/20/17)

Sadly Chancey will be my one and only greyhound for exactly the same reasons. However I still have Nutmeg, a whippet lurcher and would suggest that a small whippet could be a good step down for you.

Miss "England" Carol with whippet lurcher Nutmeg & Zavvi the Chihuahua.

R.I.P. Chancey (Goosetree Chance). 24.1.2009 - 14.4.2022. Bluegrass Banjoman. 25.1.2004 - 25.5.2015 and Ch. Sleepyhollow Aida. 30.9.2000 - 10.1.2014.

16 minutes ago, Banjoman said:

Sadly Chancey will be my one and only greyhound for exactly the same reasons. However I still have Nutmeg, a whippet lurcher and would suggest that a small whippet could be a good step down for you.

I looked around various websites for whippet rescues in my area, even all of Florida, but didn't find much.

I worried about this even with Rocket, as he was about 85 lbs and a big boy. At the time, I was being treated for cancer for several years and had very little strength, so was always worried about how we would manage getting him into the car in an emergency. Fortunately, things worked out and that was never needed. When Rocket got older, we happened to get lucky and found a mobile vet who came to the house for appointments. 

The other dogs since all had the mobile vet, but they were smaller and we have been able to get them in the car for emergencies when needed.

For Diva, we called a local vet who has a mobile euthanasia service and hospice care for dogs. We did not want to take a chance on trying to get her in the car with the potential for her to break a bone. I can't say enough about the vet and assistant who came out for Diva. They were wonderful and I will use them again if needed rather than trying to get a sick or injured dog into a vehicle. 

We also have a veterinary stretcher (like a big sling with handles for multiple people to carry) and a lift aling from Flying Paws that helps you lift the back of a larger dog. https://flyingpaws.biz/product/large-lift/  The rear lift sling is a good item to have on hand as your dog gets older and will help to prevent an injury to you and the dog when trying to help them up. 

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

39 minutes ago, Banjoman said:

A whippet would be a good “downsize” sighthound but they do not seem to be common in the US, at least in rescue.

:bighug  to all those who have aged out of having large dogs.

As I approach 70, this is also in the back of my mind.  

Hubby has chronic cardiac issues but so far I’m in great shape physically, except for arthritis in my hands. 

But….Sid is a sold 75+ pounds, Kibo the Galgo about 65 and Mario the senior Qatar tripod is 45……

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

2 hours ago, Time4ANap said:

I worried about this even with Rocket, as he was about 85 lbs and a big boy. At the time, I was being treated for cancer for several years and had very little strength, so was always worried about how we would manage getting him into the car in an emergency. Fortunately, things worked out and that was never needed. When Rocket got older, we happened to get lucky and found a mobile vet who came to the house for appointments. 

The other dogs since all had the mobile vet, but they were smaller and we have been able to get them in the car for emergencies when needed.

For Diva, we called a local vet who has a mobile euthanasia service and hospice care for dogs. We did not want to take a chance on trying to get her in the car with the potential for her to break a bone. I can't say enough about the vet and assistant who came out for Diva. They were wonderful and I will use them again if needed rather than trying to get a sick or injured dog into a vehicle. 

We also have a veterinary stretcher (like a big sling with handles for multiple people to carry) and a lift aling from Flying Paws that helps you lift the back of a larger dog. https://flyingpaws.biz/product/large-lift/  The rear lift sling is a good item to have on hand as your dog gets older and will help to prevent an injury to you and the dog when trying to help them up. 

The lift-assist harness I got from Gods Greyts helped if Sheba slipped and did the spread eagle this last year. Didn't happen often but I wanted to be prepared when it did. She wore it constantly the past couple months. The vet strecher isn't something I would want to deal with. I live alone and can't always get help in a pinch. Anyway, my large dog days are over, Great dog-owning years but sadly it's time to downsize again.

I like big & medium size dogs more than littles, but I will admit to coveting Ducky's Podencos. She might have some contacts to get you one.

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

3 hours ago, ShebasMom said:

The lift-assist harness I got from Gods Greyts helped if Sheba slipped and did the spread eagle this last year. Didn't happen often but I wanted to be prepared when it did. She wore it constantly the past couple months. The vet strecher isn't something I would want to deal with. I live alone and can't always get help in a pinch. Anyway, my large dog days are over, Great dog-owning years but sadly it's time to downsize again.

I never want to deal with the stretcher either, but after trying to move a greyhound with multiple people using a blanket, I wanted something with handles here just in case we need it. I'm hoping it never has to be taken out of the bag it came in.  I understand your point of view completely. It's a really tough decision, but good that you know to make it. That day will likely come for us too. Good luck and hope you find a new pup when you are ready. 

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Add me to the list.  Although not for some years, I hope.  I have talked to Gelsey about this and she has agreed to make it to age 13 in good shape.  But when I do downsize, I'm planning to go all the way.  Guinea pig.  

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

ShebasMom, it is unlikely that you will find any available whippets unless you want to buy one. Then it will cost over $1000. Way too high energy for me. I have known some that cold jump a 6 ft fence, but others that did ok with a 4 ft fence. Galgos require a 6 ft fence. They tend to be much more active than our lazier greyhounds.

My italian greyhounds have come from Mid Atlantic Italian Greyhound Rescue. Florida is out of their range but there is an affiliate there. I can check on the FL groups for you.
MAIGR's dot com page isn't always up to date on available dogs so check their FB page. Since this group uses foster homes you'll know more about personalities and if they are housebroken.

My podencos came from Spain via the Senior Sighthound Sanctuary. I prefer the oldest ones but sometimes they get a few younger ones. Weight and height varies with these.

I, too, am having to be realistic about caring for larger dogs. We only have 1 greyhound now, Georgie, who is a very young 11 year old. Although I've had the opportunity to get another greyhound, I had to pass on it. It didn't seem fair to take in a 2-4 year old since I am 67. 

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Roman will probably be my last grey, I'm early 40s and he is ENOURMOUS and I know my joints just can't take another his size. I will look into galgos and smaller podencos and maybe an iggy or two.

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

I'm still young but my have a bad back.  Patches lived till 15 and I could barely get her in & out of the car.  As stated above I would call on my neighbors to help.  I tried to adopt a whippet but it was nearly impossible for me.   Very few around and then told I work long hours (typical 8 hours per day).  Luckily I have a 3 year old greyhound right now so lifting is not an issue but I completely get what you are going through.   I just can't imagine having any other breed. 

I faced the same issue when I lost Hero a year ago.   I'm 72, for cryin out loud,  downsize, woman!!  

I looked for over a year for that 35 - 40 pounder to look in my eyes & connect.   Never happened.

October 1, 2021,  BlackDogDay.    I fell in love & brought home an 80lb greyhound/coonhound mix.

They told me he was 7.   Vet & I agree he's closer to 4 - 5.    Heaven help me.

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.

8 minutes ago, DesiRayMom said:

I faced the same issue when I lost Hero a year ago.   I'm 72, for cryin out loud,  downsize, woman!!  

I looked for over a year for that 35 - 40 pounder to look in my eyes & connect.   Never happened.

October 1, 2021,  BlackDogDay.    I fell in love & brought home an 80lb greyhound/coonhound mix.

They told me he was 7.   Vet & I agree he's closer to 4 - 5.    Heaven help me.

Sure hope that doesn't happen to me! But congratulations!

ShebasMom, beagles are the cutest dogs.  And usually so cuddly.  I've always thought greyhound puppies look a lot like beagles, at least before their muzzles start doing their Pinocchio thing.  :)  I'm also going to suggest you add basenjis to your list.  They're the smallest sighthound, although some people say they should be scenthounds.  I had a friend who married a man who already had a basenji.  Until the basenji realized my friend was now a part of her pack, she was aloof.  Then they became devoted to each other.  She was an awesome dog with some of that quiet sighthound personality, but could be very playful.  They are rare to find, but look -- there just happens to be a rescue in your state!  https://www.basenjirescue.org/DOGS/FL/FL-Roxie.asp

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Beagles bark, like most scent hounds, but they are cute! Basenjis are adorable but pretty high energy, and I am told, very stubborn and very, very smart. Kind of a scary combination for me. A man recently ask me if Val was a Saluki, they are smaller and I think SHUG brings some over from the Middle East.

I have thought of other breeds for the future also, partially because of my age but also because of the relative scarcity of available greyhounds these days (and even more so in the future). And I didn't know that Spanish Galgos weigh less !  I thought they were tall(er) and weighed about the same. 

Probably will end up with somewhere between Whippet and Saluki but time will tell!

Was a subscriber in the mid 2000s (the aughts!).  Reactivated in 2021.  What'd I miss?

Kibo, our Galgo is tinier than any of our other males at 30kg.  He is also super high prey.   Most of them are and need a 6 foot fence. 

We got Mario, a senior SalukiX from Qatar this summer.  Hes a tripod. Only 20kg.   And just adorable.

Salukis also need a high fence. 

My Group started bringing the Salukis over when the supply of Florida Greys ran out and the borders closed from Ireland.

Our son has a beagle. Super cute and cuddly but howls. A lot.  And needs a super duty fence he can't dig under.

Edited by BatterseaBrindl

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Had beagles as a kid, they are great dogs, but let them get that rabbit (or whatever) scent and BOOOROOOHH and off they go.

Been following this thread with some interest. Logan is still in great shape but he is 11 years 8 months old now. I am slightly allergic to dogs, so last time I was looking for one I was thinking either a "hypoallergenic" dog, or a really small dog (figuring low dander just due to small surface area :-)  After some experimenting, I found a lot of the supposedly hypoallergenic dogs set me off. What I react to is the undercoat, and since greyhounds have little (Max) or no (Logan) undercoat, I have little or no allergic reaction to them. But the other breed I was thinking about at the time was a chihuahua, for the small surface area. Logan is 74 pounds and I am in decent shape, but I live alone and don't know if I could get him in the car by myself is he was completely unable to help. I got Max in the car his last night when he had a paralyzed back leg, but he was able to get to the garage on his own and I only had to lift him into the car. By the time Logan passes (really hoping that will be a couple years or more down the road) I'm not sure greyhounds will be available, and even if they are a smaller dog might be a good idea for my situation. Not sure about a chihuahua at this point. Something to be said for a dog you can pick up with one hand, but I have found I interact much better with a big male greyhound. Seems like the animal shelters have 90%+ large pit bulls and pit mixes. Anyway, hopefully I won't be in the market for quite a while, but interesting to see people's thoughts on this topic.  

Rob
Logan (April 7, 2010 - July 9, 2023) - LoganMaxicon15K.jpg - Max (August 4, 2004 - January 11, 2018)