Greyhounds Just Too Big for Me Now

ShebasMom

15 hours ago, ShebasMom said:

In keeping with my "greyhounds are just too big for me now" topic, the other day I ran into a new neighbor whom I hadn't met yet but heard they have two Great Danes. (I had four Great Danes in my earlier years but downsized to Greyhounds in 2008. I do so love the Danes to this day though.) I mentioned Sheba's December passing and asked her if her Danes like bully sticks as I had some left over from Sheba's chew stash. She said yes, so I took the bully sticks to their house later on. She opened the door and two very large Danes greeted me, one a merle and the other a blue (I had harlequins). Small living room, two very large dogs. There I was pinned to the wall by one 175-pounder leaning into me. Oh the fond memories of my Danes! Now I know where I can get my Dane "fix" without living with them

Back to the beagles again. I went out today to run some errands and came back to a house turned somewhat topsy turvy. Living room rug and dog bed rearranged, bedroom dog bed and rugs rearranged, porch rug rearranged, rug tags chewed, and poop on the porch rug (nice and firm so easy to pick up). Guess these little ladies had quite some play time while momma was out! Wish I'd had a camera set up to catch it.

Oh I love this post! I too downsized from Great Danes to Greyhounds, rationalizing that five roooooers equals one-two danes :rofl I'm so glad that you have a nearby fix available :wub:

Those beagle ladies :lol You do need to catch them on camera lol

Edited by FiveRoooooers

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now I know where I can get my Dane "fix" without living with them

:nod 

I went out today to run some errands and came back to a house turned somewhat topsy turvy. Living room rug and dog bed rearranged, bedroom dog bed and rugs rearranged, porch rug rearranged, rug tags chewed, and poop on the porch rug (nice and firm so easy to pick up). Guess these little ladies had quite some play time while momma was out!

Beagles go berserk!  :lol 

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

• 1 month later...
On 3/15/2022 at 1:01 PM, ShebasMom said:

Thanks for asking.

I have had them for 8 weeks now and very little change I'm afraid. Both are still quite wary of me, but one is coming out of her shell a tiny little bit. Neither will come close to me, but they both sleep on my bed with me, albeit as far from me as possible. Actually, they stay on my bed most of the time. I'm afraid Fiona will always be a spook, but Keera might evolve positively over time. They are on fluoxetine prescribed by the vet. At first were on a combo of gabapentin and fluoxetine but now off the gabapentin. They like to go outside into my fenced-in front yard and let me know when they want out, but they scurry past me as fast as they can to go out and in the front door. They are eating well, although I'm enabling Fiona by feeding her on my bed because she is afraid of my enclosed porch where the low feeding stands are. Keera will eat there but not Fiona. Fiona went 3 days without eating so I gave in and continue to feed her on my bed, sigh. A dental for both is scheduled for next week. Despite their neuroses, they're beginning to grow on me so I probably will keep them. I guess it's early days yet since who knows what they've been through their first 5-1/2 years--first abandoned in Louisiana roaming free, trapped by a Louisiana shelter, fostered there for a bit, transported to a beagle rescue group in Tampa and underwent heartworm treatment, fostered separately there, then delivered to me. 

An update on the beagles: Sadly, I had to return one of the beagle girls April 28 after having had her since January 14. It just wasn't working out having two. They bonded to each other but not to me. I returned the girl that wouldn't let me get close to her ever. She was the most anxious, skittish, neurotic, stubborn one. The girl I'm keeping is shy and docile and still won't come to me, but she will let me get close to her and pet her. We sleep together at night. She shows some promise and I'm hoping she will come around over time. I am sad but relieved at the same time,