Greyhounds Just Too Big for Me Now

ShebasMom

Well, I done went and did it.  I just adopted a 57# girl, who is still racing lean, so she'll probably end up closer to 60 lbs. eventually.  Here's my thinking:

1- with the help of a credit card upon occasion, I can afford them

2-they both have a safe place to land if they need one

3-in these isolating times, they are my companions

4-my CRV is easier to get them into than my Santa Fe

5-i will invest in a Help 'em Up harness anon. I have everything else I could possibly need

So, welcome Poppy, joining Pippin and me. And, yes, I'm embracing the P's.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AHHEmmm....:rules

:digicam

:D

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

1 hour ago, oldrunners said:

So, welcome Poppy, joining Pippin and me. And, yes, I'm embracing the P's.

:yay :pepper :banana :yay 

—Signed, your enthusiastic enablers (and yes, we'll need pics!)

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

I'm sorry.  Having Luddite tendencies, I have no idea how to post pics.  You'll just have to imagine a black, lightly built girl, with a narrow white stripe on her chest and a several white toe tips, and a looong snoot with virtually no stop---all my favorite characteristics.  How could I not?  She's smart, cat safe, sleeps thru the night, tells me when she needs to go out, and roos when the town fire siren goes off.

13 minutes ago, oldrunners said:

I'm sorry.  Having Luddite tendencies, I have no idea how to post pics.  You'll just have to imagine a black, lightly built girl, with a narrow white stripe on her chest and a several white toe tips, and a looong snoot with virtually no stop---all my favorite characteristics.  How could I not?  She's smart, cat safe, sleeps thru the night, tells me when she needs to go out, and roos when the town fire siren goes off.

Yaaaa!

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

:yay Wonderful! Let the good times begin!

PM me your address and I’ll send you our extra HelpEmUp harness. 

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

She's smart, cat safe, sleeps thru the night, tells me when she needs to go out, and roos when the town fire siren goes off.

Poppu aPPears Practically Perfect!  Congreytulations to you and Pippin.  

ShebasMom -- any news on the beaglettes?  

Edited by EllenEveBaz

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

So glad you are able to get another hound!

I, on the other hand, recently adopted two sister beagle mixes that both of their weights don't add up to one Sheba.

Unfortunately, they are real scardy-cats of everything including me. They have bonded so tight with each other but not me. I've only had them since Jan 14, so I know I have to give it time. I've been advised to work with them separately to loosen their tight bond. A friend is bringing her greyhound and shepard mix today and we'll try socializing them and walking them separately. Maybe I should only have adopted one of them....

Oh No…don’t think that! 
They will come around…it’s only been a few days and their lives have been turned upside down.

Think of how awful it would be for them if they’d been separated…an already bonded pair needs to remain together. 

They need time, time, patience, love and more time.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

2 hours ago, BatterseaBrindl said:

Oh No…don’t think that! 
They will come around…it’s only been a few days and their lives have been turned upside down.

Think of how awful it would be for them if they’d been separated…an already bonded pair needs to remain together. 

They need time, time, patience, love and more time.

:nod Keeping bonded pairs together is a gift. Thank you for doing that!

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

• 1 month later...

I know, Bendith is not a greyhound but here are him and my mum after succeeding in their sar exam on saturday. They are now a certified operational search and rescue team. Btw, my mum turned 72 in january. Sometimes age is just a number. I'm so very proud of her. 

43204921bk.jpg

Good for your mum and Bendith!  

If I were out lost and/or hurt, seeing that beautiful, friendly poodle face would let me know immediately that help was there.  

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

2 hours ago, Nadine said:

I know, Bendith is not a greyhound but here are him and my mum after succeeding in their sar exam on saturday. They are now a certified operational search and rescue team. Btw, my mum turned 72 in january. Sometimes age is just a number. I'm so very proud of her. 

43204921bk.jpg

:yay This is fantastic! Ditto what Ellen said!

4 hours ago, Nadine said:

43204921bk.jpg

:star

Edited by BatterseaBrindl

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

15 hours ago, EllenEveBaz said:

ShebasMom -- what news on the beagle girls?  

Thanks for asking.

I have had them for 8 weeks now and very little change I'm afraid. Both are still quite wary of me, but one is coming out of her shell a tiny little bit. Neither will come close to me, but they both sleep on my bed with me, albeit as far from me as possible. Actually, they stay on my bed most of the time. I'm afraid Fiona will always be a spook, but Keera might evolve positively over time. They are on fluoxetine prescribed by the vet. At first were on a combo of gabapentin and fluoxetine but now off the gabapentin. They like to go outside into my fenced-in front yard and let me know when they want out, but they scurry past me as fast as they can to go out and in the front door. They are eating well, although I'm enabling Fiona by feeding her on my bed because she is afraid of my enclosed porch where the low feeding stands are. Keera will eat there but not Fiona. Fiona went 3 days without eating so I gave in and continue to feed her on my bed, sigh. A dental for both is scheduled for next week. Despite their neuroses, they're beginning to grow on me so I probably will keep them. I guess it's early days yet since who knows what they've been through their first 5-1/2 years--first abandoned in Louisiana roaming free, trapped by a Louisiana shelter, fostered there for a bit, transported to a beagle rescue group in Tampa and underwent heartworm treatment, fostered separately there, then delivered to me. 

It’s still early yet, you’re doing great and I’m so glad to hear that you’ll (probably) keep them :) They’ll come around. Thank you for giving them the opportunity to live a real life and shine! 

On 3/15/2022 at 1:01 PM, ShebasMom said:

Thanks for asking.

I have had them for 8 weeks now and very little change I'm afraid. Both are still quite wary of me, but one is coming out of her shell a tiny little bit. Neither will come close to me, but they both sleep on my bed with me, albeit as far from me as possible. Actually, they stay on my bed most of the time. I'm afraid Fiona will always be a spook, but Keera might evolve positively over time. They are on fluoxetine prescribed by the vet. At first were on a combo of gabapentin and fluoxetine but now off the gabapentin. They like to go outside into my fenced-in front yard and let me know when they want out, but they scurry past me as fast as they can to go out and in the front door. They are eating well, although I'm enabling Fiona by feeding her on my bed because she is afraid of my enclosed porch where the low feeding stands are. Keera will eat there but not Fiona. Fiona went 3 days without eating so I gave in and continue to feed her on my bed, sigh. A dental for both is scheduled for next week. Despite their neuroses, they're beginning to grow on me so I probably will keep them. I guess it's early days yet since who knows what they've been through their first 5-1/2 years--first abandoned in Louisiana roaming free, trapped by a Louisiana shelter, fostered there for a bit, transported to a beagle rescue group in Tampa and underwent heartworm treatment, fostered separately there, then delivered to me. 

In keeping with my "greyhounds are just too big for me now" topic, the other day I ran into a new neighbor whom I hadn't met yet but heard they have two Great Danes. (I had four Great Danes in my earlier years but downsized to Greyhounds in 2008. I do so love the Danes to this day though.) I mentioned Sheba's December passing and asked her if her Danes like bully sticks as I had some left over from Sheba's chew stash. She said yes, so I took the bully sticks to their house later on. She opened the door and two very large Danes greeted me, one a merle and the other a blue (I had harlequins). Small living room, two very large dogs. There I was pinned to the wall by one 175-pounder leaning into me. Oh the fond memories of my Danes! Now I know where I can get my Dane "fix" without living with them

Back to the beagles again. I went out today to run some errands and came back to a house turned somewhat topsy turvy. Living room rug and dog bed rearranged, bedroom dog bed and rugs rearranged, porch rug rearranged, rug tags chewed, and poop on the porch rug (nice and firm so easy to pick up). Guess these little ladies had quite some play time while momma was out! Wish I'd had a camera set up to catch it.