Greyhounds Just Too Big for Me Now

ShebasMom

I went with smaller dogs after all of my dogs passed. It was just so much easier to take care of them at the end stages, and I'm not getting any younger. Will so miss having my bigger dogs but being alone and having an aging relative here with me makes it tougher.

These will probably be my last dogs for a long time b/c of my work schedule. I have someone available to care for them while I work long hours, and should be here for their lifetimes.

Good luck with your search. My brother and sister in law have beagles, and they love them. There are so many people who have an affinity for them.

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc124/TgrrValily/CookieMac2009pt2/siggyyayayayayay.jpg

Waiting at the bridge: Buddy James, Cookie Dough, Shelby, and Mac. My angels :angelwings:angelwings:angelwings:angelwings

New dog mom to dachshunds Ginger and Ruger :banana:banana

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 12/22/2021 at 8:43 AM, EllenEveBaz said:

ShebasMom, beagles are the cutest dogs.  And usually so cuddly.  I've always thought greyhound puppies look a lot like beagles, at least before their muzzles start doing their Pinocchio thing.  :)  I'm also going to suggest you add basenjis to your list.  They're the smallest sighthound, although some people say they should be scenthounds.  I had a friend who married a man who already had a basenji.  Until the basenji realized my friend was now a part of her pack, she was aloof.  Then they became devoted to each other.  She was an awesome dog with some of that quiet sighthound personality, but could be very playful.  They are rare to find, but look -- there just happens to be a rescue in your state!  https://www.basenjirescue.org/DOGS/FL/FL-Roxie.asp

It was suggested by one of the rescue group’s reps that a basenji would not be a good fit for me and after reading up on them I agree. I’m working towards getting a beagle at the moment.

Sniffy, be warned that salukis can be screamers. I have a friend with several and when they moved to a new neighborhood and put up a 6' fence, they told all their neighbors that if they heard screaming, that it was from the dogs, not them. The also have silken windhounds. They are similar in size to whippets but young ones are high energy. They are hard to find and can be very expensive.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

We also went thru “the dilemma”…..getting older.  It was a rough spring at our house as we said goodbye first to Phog, and a very short two months later to Jill - both to osteo.  First time since 2006 we hadn’t had a greyhound in the house.   We went the whippet route and welcomed puppy we named Dash into our family.  

We went the whippet route and welcomed puppy we named Dash into our family.  

Welcome, Dash!  

Is this your first puppy?  

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

On 12/27/2021 at 1:28 PM, macoduck said:

Sniffy, be warned that salukis can be screamers. I have a friend with several and when they moved to a new neighborhood and put up a 6' fence, they told all their neighbors that if they heard screaming, that it was from the dogs, not them. The also have silken windhounds. They are similar in size to whippets but young ones are high energy. They are hard to find and can be very expensive.

:jaw  Screamin' Salukis!!  I had to look that up for myself and oh my goodness! NOT the sound I was expecting :lol:

And the Silken Windhound looks perfect! A smaller -looking Borzoi!

Was a subscriber in the mid 2000s (the aughts!).  Reactivated in 2021.  What'd I miss?

I just committed to adopting (on a trial basis before official adoption) two little female beagle mixes, age 5 years, each under 20 pounds, underwent heartworm treatment, in separate foster homes somewhere in Florida. According to their foster write-ups, they are quite shy and timid, although apparently one girl is starting to come out of her shell.

I'm getting them from southeast beagle rescue, www.sebr.org.

I decided on getting the two so they would be companions for each other. I truly hope it works out, both for them and me. Never had small dogs of any breed before so will be quite an adjustment for all of us. Wish me luck!

Salukis were known as “Horizon dogs” by a friend of mine. Her son had them and when let off lead they disappeared over the horizon! :gh_run

As rescue whippets aren’t easily found maybe you could contact some breeders who may have an ex brood bitch or an unsuccessful show prospect that they would be happy to rehome  to you.

Miss "England" Carol with whippet lurcher Nutmeg & Zavvi the Chihuahua.

R.I.P. Chancey (Goosetree Chance). 24.1.2009 - 14.4.2022. Bluegrass Banjoman. 25.1.2004 - 25.5.2015 and Ch. Sleepyhollow Aida. 30.9.2000 - 10.1.2014.

2 hours ago, ShebasMom said:

I just committed to adopting (on a trial basis before official adoption) two little female beagle mixes, age 5 years, each under 20 pounds, underwent heartworm treatment, in separate foster homes somewhere in Florida. According to their foster write-ups, they are quite shy and timid, although apparently one girl is starting to come out of her shell.

I decided on getting the two so they would be companions for each other. I truly hope it works out, both for them and me. Never had small dogs of any breed before so will be quite an adjustment for all of us. Wish me luck!

:P  :goodluck  :P

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

On 1/1/2022 at 10:56 AM, teri_d said:

Thanks!  Yes, our first puppy in 20 years.  Dash is now 9 months old.  

I'm so glad you did this!

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

2 hours ago, ShebasMom said:

Twice the fun! Yay!! :goodluck :goodluck

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

congratulations

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Sadly, I'm a member of this club.  I just lost my big boy on New Year's Eve. He was able to jump into my car on his last trip to the vet.  I still have Pippin, a 58-60lb little boy, but its the first time in a bit over 20 years that I've only had one dog.  My head says no more, but my heart knows there's a tiny girl out there who needs a sofa.  I'll be 74 next week.  I don't know what to do.

My group has started having meet & greets again, I don’t dare go even though I have Val as an excuse. I won’t bring in another dog while she is still here, she is too old and wobbly, but I just know if I go I will fall for a big goofy boy, my weakness.

On 1/2/2022 at 10:49 AM, ShebasMom said:

:yay  When will you get them?

On 1/2/2022 at 1:06 PM, Banjoman said:

As rescue whippets aren’t easily found maybe you could contact some breeders who may have an ex brood bitch or an unsuccessful show prospect that they would be happy to rehome  to you.

I know someone who did just this and got a nice whippet and the breeder contacted them when another was available so now they have two.

Lila Football
Jerilyn, missing Lila (Good Looking), new Mistress to Wiki (PJ Wicked).

19 hours ago, oldrunners said:

Sadly, I'm a member of this club.  I just lost my big boy on New Year's Eve. He was able to jump into my car on his last trip to the vet.  I still have Pippin, a 58-60lb little boy, but its the first time in a bit over 20 years that I've only had one dog.  My head says no more, but my heart knows there's a tiny girl out there who needs a sofa.  I'll be 74 next week.  I don't know what to do.

:grouphug

On 1/8/2022 at 3:10 PM, Jerilyn said:

:yay  When will you get them?

I know someone who did just this and got a nice whippet and the breeder contacted them when another was available so now they have two.

I was supposed to get the two beagle mixes this Wednesday, but the volunteer driver was sick so it's been delayed. Not sure when yet. A delay is working out well, though, since my swimming pool resurfacing is just completed but the deck still needs a final coat. My front yard has a wooden picket fence, and I'm worried that the gaps might be so wide that the dogs could get through. I won't know until I see the size of the dogs. Another project might be required, sigh. The other wooden fences are board on board so no gaps.

ShebasMom, inflatable c-collars can be of use to prevent squeezing through a fence. I friend had to use one on her smallest podenco until she added another layer of fencing to prevent digging.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

17 hours ago, ShebasMom said:

I was supposed to get the two beagle mixes this Wednesday, but the volunteer driver was sick so it's been delayed. Not sure when yet. A delay is working out well, though, since my swimming pool resurfacing is just completed but the deck still needs a final coat. My front yard has a wooden picket fence, and I'm worried that the gaps might be so wide that the dogs could get through. I won't know until I see the size of the dogs. Another project might be required, sigh. The other wooden fences are board on board so no gaps.

We bought a “puppy bumper” neck ring when dash, the whippet, was small and could get thru the fence.  He liked wearing it and they had many different sizes, patterns and colors.  Worked perfectly.