Bea Just Broke A Toe

Playing by herself in the yard and I heard it pop. Left front, third digit, high up. Will the vet want to splint it? I've read cases where splinting only complicated healing. What do I do? Thanks.

Edited by FiveRoooooers

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M, Ebbie, HollyBeeBop (Betty Crocker).

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Buck broke one of his inside toes and the vet absolutely refused to splint it. He said that just puts pressure on up the leg then you can have a damaged leg. :dunno Buck was just on limited exercise for what seemed like a month.

Kisses to Bea.

Thanks Pam, that's what I'm thinking and hearing from others too. I have some good rx at home to keep her comfy. Kisses delivered, thanks a lot

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M, Ebbie, HollyBeeBop (Betty Crocker).

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

What is it with toes in this Camp? :crazy:lol

Wouldn't hurt to get it xrayed and taped in the right position :) .

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Thanks all. Bea is medicated and comfy for tonight. She'll be seen in the morning.

We splinted Toni's broken toe for 6 weeks, then just kept it wrapped for another three. I wish we had just gone with the wrapping from the start. She snapped two splints in half, BTW, so they were basically uselss until we got them replaced. I (paid for) asked for her splint to be changed/rewrapped every 5-6 days because she's prone to pressure sores. With a plain wrapping there wouldn't be that much of a problem.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Glad you plan to have her seen and (I hope) x-rayed.

Kat broke her foot (metatarsal) on October 28. It wasn't properly diagnosed. I took her in for her annual 4 days later and the foot was x-rayed. The bone was in 3 pieces. It was splinted (with frequent bandage changes) for about 10-11 weeks until the pieces lined up. Now she has a removable splint. Her next x-ray is Monday. I hope it has finally healed but I have my doubts--the vet said it can take 6 months in an old dog (she's 11 1/2). [And, of course, I still wonder whether it broke because of OS.]

I hope Miss Bea heals quickly and well.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Lots of good thoughts for Miss Bea to heal quickly. She was just having too much fun playing in the yard. Keep us posted on her vet visit.

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

Hugs & smooches to Ms.Bea, and all the ailing (or soon to be ailing, or have been ailing) toes at CG.

I'd hate to see an xray of T's feet. He has several wonky toes, likely broken in his previous life, never attended to. He's used to them now, however,

they've healed in their wonkyness & nothing to be done but comfort.

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.

Poor Ms Bea! I think when Sallie broke her toe we splinted it for a couple of weeks, then kept it wrapped. The reason it was splinted at first was 1) it was a weight bearing toe and 2) she had another toe on that same foot that she had dislocated several times :rolleyes: If not for that, we probably would have just wrapped it.

I hope Bea and her toe heal well :goodluck

greyhounds and their toes :crazy

Annnd it's broken. Third toe, clean break, doesn't appear pathological. We will splint and wrap for two weeks and go from there. It's a spoon-type splint. Bea is so brave and such a cooperative and patient little patient. Thanks for sharing your stories and sending support, much appreciated.

Bea :beatheart

Beautimous Bea, heal quickly! You have a lot more pumpkins to devour! :beatheart

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

Pumpkins :lol At clinic today, Bea would have nothing to do with the splint, we ended up with just a wrap, and the hardest part of her recovery now is going to be keeping the old girl quiet. She has some pics in C&F. Thanks again for the good wishes!

How's that booboo toe this morning, Bea? Is Aiden getting some extra treats for being your therapy dog?

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Thanks for asking about Bea, she's managing ok.