Yes! We are home now. I’ll post more later. (I don’t know why they’re always rotated on my iPhone) 

265BCFB8-F675-499F-9801-CC0D8CF26895.jpeg

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

:confetti  :confetti  :confetti  :confetti  :confetti  

The price of Amicar has skyrocketed since the company was sold several years ago.  They also had/are having production issues having to do with the patent I think.  It literally pays to shop around and use whatever coupon and rebate sources you have available to you.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

It’s normal to feel terrible for putting her through an amp, right? She’s still so swollen, cried when I tried to get her up, still bleeding at the amp site, and doesn’t want anything but meat and cheese to eat. I feel awful for how bad she feels right now. 

Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

Yes, totally normal. It's so hard to see them confused and uncomfortable, but it's short-term. Remember you're doing this to spare her horrific pain and suffering. It might sound silly, but talk to her and explain that to her. She trusts you and knows how much you love her.

That she is eating at all is a victory, as is the fact that she's already able to get up and around a bit. Celebrate those little wins, and by this time next week you'll be amazed how far she has come.

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

She slept like the dead last night from midnight to 5am. Tried to get up and screamed, so I helped her up and outside. Once she was up she was moving well on her on. She didn’t pee though. Morning meds and a few bites of turkey and cheese are in her belly. Will keep offering other food too. 
I’ve been massaging her edema but this morning it’s seeping blood through the skin. Doc says that’s normal. Going to ice it as well. 
“Only two weeks. Only two weeks.”

Thank you for the updates! If you think she's losing weight or you need to try something else to encourage her to eat, canned puppy food was very good for putting weight on my seniors and they all seemed to love it. You all are doing great. "Only two weeks" is excellent, you'll see!

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

The first two weeks are horrible, hands down.  But you both will get through it to a better time on the other side. 

Remember she's only a couple days from a major surgery,  Where she lost a whole leg.  She has to adjust to that reality and learn how to do everything all over again - it has to be scary and disorienting, and screaming with anxiety and pain is sometimes the only solution.   Phantom pain and feelings are definitely a thing!  Keep ahead of the pain as much as you can, especially now.

Beneful Prepared Meals was is the go-to in our house for getting dogs to eat something.

{{{hugs}}}

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Please monitor the color of her urine output.  If it looks pink or red, that's her body absorbing the edema, and kidneys are not designed to filter and excess amount of bloody fluid.  Notify your vet immediately. 

When Taylor had his amputation, he had been on Amicar since the morning of the surgery.  All was going well as far as swelling and edema for 36 hours at the hospital, and then it started getting really bad, and he was peeing very dark urine.  He spent a total of 6 nights in the hospital, on a IV  for fluids to help to flush  out his kidneys and remove the risk of kidney damage.  When the urine was almost back to normal, he was discharged.  His remaining front leg was still very swollen, his chest was swollen (looked like boobs, LOL), as were his back legs.  His 3 remaining feet were so swollen, they were oozing fluid for 24 hours after I brought him home.  On day 8, a large % of the fluid was gone.  

She’s eating today! Hurray. Still a big, dramatic event with lots of screaming to get her to stand up, despite the fact that she can actually do that on her own. She has been drinking plenty when it’s offered too. Seems like we are figuring this out, even if it’s not easy. 

3 hours ago, gracegirl said:

She’s eating today! Hurray. Still a big, dramatic event with lots of screaming to get her to stand up, despite the fact that she can actually do that on her own. She has been drinking plenty when it’s offered too. Seems like we are figuring this out, even if it’s not easy. 

Have been checking for an update here and in the ABT all day. Yay for progress! 

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

5 hours ago, gracegirl said:

Seems like we are figuring this out, even if it’s not easy. 

It *will* get better.   Little steps every day!  :beatheart 

I’ve never been so excited for a big, stinky poo before. Lol. She’s doing well getting around when I make her get up, but is still very dramatic about getting up. Eating, drinking, and eliminating are all happening regularly. Back to the vet tomorrow to check on the edema. I think we are past the worst of it. 

Had another poo today but this time we were tired, stared screaming, screamed louder when mom assisted with the harness, lost balance, stepped in poo, then screamed again when cleaning the poo foot. If the neighbors don’t already think we are nuts, they definitely do now. 

I think there was a similar incident with Sweep! Seems as tho it’s part of the recovery process, hopefully a one-off. :bighug

Tessie :kiss2

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

I think a lot of times they get scared and anxious when they start to do something normal and it's not normal anymore.  Plus, she may be experiencing some phantom pains.  

How'd her check up go??

The vet removed her bandage today and her incision looks great. She is night and day difference from Saturday. It’s truly shocking how much better she is. 

She jumped right up without screaming dramatically when I asked her if she wanted to go for a ride in the car. She’s also been cleared for short walks, so far we have gone four houses up the street a couple of times today. She’s drinking a ton and peeing a ton which I’m sure is good for the edema. 
And she just had her first unassisted poo without poofoot. Yahoo! 

One week post amp. What a difference 36 hours makes. She’s getting up on her own, eating, drinking, peeing and pooping all by herself. I no longer feel like the worse person on the planet. 

We even had a visit from Tessie’s bestie today. My four year old niece.