Thank you for the details, Ducky. I’ll call the surgeon’s office again tomorrow to confirm they have Amicar on hand. Her surgery is scheduled for a week from tomorrow. 

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

The surgeon’s office has Amicar, and they’ll be able to send me home with it too. I’ve also decided that I’m going to have a vaccine made through Torigen. The cost from my expensive vet is $2800. 
https://www.torigen.com

We might also pursue FidoCure for an additional $2200. Healthy Paws should cover the cost of FidoCure, but not Torigen. A colleague of mine knows the CEC/Founder of FidoCure so he’s put us in touch, which is so nice of both of them. 

Now I just have to get through an entire long weekend of anxiety. I’m anxious about whether this is the right decision, about the surgery itself, and about her recovery. I just want my girl to be happy again. She’s been so docile since we started the carprofen/Gabapentin meds with her.

Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

3 hours ago, gracegirl said:

The surgeon’s office has Amicar, and they’ll be able to send me home with it too. I’ve also decided that I’m going to have a vaccine made through Torigen. The cost from my expensive vet is $2800. 
https://www.torigen.com

We might also pursue FidoCure for an additional $2200. Healthy Paws should cover the cost of FidoCure, but not Torigen. A colleague of mine knows the CEC/Founder of FidoCure so he’s put us in touch, which is so nice of both of them. 

Now I just have to get through an entire long weekend of anxiety. I’m anxious about whether this is the right decision, about the surgery itself, and about her recovery. I just want my girl to be happy again. She’s been so docile since we started the carprofen/Gabapentin meds with her.

You have an excellent, well thought out plan for Tessie with an incredible team going to bat for her.  What an opportunity to have the Torigen vaccine available to try and I hope you have the possible results from participating :goodluck I personally know the second author of their published study and am friends with her family. It's great to hear that your girl is comfortable while you're getting ready to get started. You've got this Lauren, you do. :grouphug

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

4 hours ago, FiveRoooooers said:

You have an excellent, well thought out plan for Tessie with an incredible team going to bat for her.  What an opportunity to have the Torigen vaccine available to try and I hope you have the possible results from participating :goodluck I personally know the second author of their published study and am friends with her family. It's great to hear that your girl is comfortable while you're getting ready to get started. You've got this Lauren, you do. :grouphug

Oh wow. Small world. I was over sharing about Tessie on a work zoom and one of my colleagues said “hey…I’m friends with the founder and CEO of Torigen!” He was kind enough to put me in touch with her. 

Just remember to be kind to yourself too.  Everything you're feeling is perfectly normal - it *is* a very serious surgery, with serious risks, and a tricky recovery - but you have a plan, you have some really good science behind it, and you have all of us to support you!!

The first two weeks are the hardest for both of you.  Let her stay in the hospital for the first few days if she does OK there and you can afford it.  That way the trained people can get her up and used to being a tripod, and when she comes home to you she can start the important healing work.  Stock your pantry so you're able to stay home with her, and clear off a space on your counter for her meds and your med spread sheet!  ;) 

Like Jan said - you got this!!  :thumbs-up 

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

On 7/1/2022 at 9:59 AM, greysmom said:

Just remember to be kind to yourself too.  Everything you're feeling is perfectly normal - it *is* a very serious surgery, with serious risks, and a tricky recovery - but you have a plan, you have some really good science behind it, and you have all of us to support you!!

The first two weeks are the hardest for both of you.  Let her stay in the hospital for the first few days if she does OK there and you can afford it.  That way the trained people can get her up and used to being a tripod, and when she comes home to you she can start the important healing work.  Stock your pantry so you're able to stay home with her, and clear off a space on your counter for her meds and your med spread sheet!  ;) 

Like Jan said - you got this!!  :thumbs-up 

Thank you. I continue to be an anxious mess and I just want my sweet girl to be better. 

My four year old niece is Tessie’s bestie. We told her yesterday that the next time she saw Tessie, Tessie would have three legs. That she is sick in one leg so we are going to make it better by taking that leg away. She asked which leg and I tapped on her left knee. She “oh, so now she’ll run like this” and put her hands on the floor, left leg in the air, and galloped around the room. Kids are so pure. 💞

Edited by gracegirl

8 minutes ago, gracegirl said:

Thank you. I continue to be an anxious mess and I just want my sweet girl to be better. 

My four year old niece is Tessie’s bestie. We told her yesterday that the at the next time she saw Tessie, that Tessie would have three legs. That she is sick in one leg so we are going to make it better by taking that leg away. She asked which leg and I tapped on her left knee. She “oh, so now she’ll run like this” and put her hands on the floor, left leg in the air, and galloped around the room. Kids are so pure. 💞

:beatheart Tessie's got an excellent care team on board. :beatheart 

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

Tessie is out of surgery and in recovery. Surgery lasted a little over an hour from 2-3pm ish. Lots of huge muscles to try to stitch together back there. I’ll get another call in a few hours once she’s recovered a bit.

We did another set of chest X-rays today and those were clear. It was shocking to see how much bigger the bone tumor had gotten in just 2.5 weeks since diagnosis. I sure hope the chemo, Torigen and Vidium combo works for her. 

1 hour ago, gracegirl said:

Tessie is out of surgery and in recovery. Surgery lasted a little over an hour from 2-3pm ish. Lots of huge muscles to try to stitch together back there. I’ll get another call in a few hours once she’s recovered a bit.

We did another set of chest X-rays today and those were clear. It was shocking to see how much bigger the bone tumor had gotten in just 2.5 weeks since diagnosis. I sure hope the chemo, Torigen and Vidium combo works for her. 

We have been hoping for an update and this sounds encouraging - Tessie is through surgery and recovering with clear chest X-rays. Baby steps. You're getting there, Lauren. Please know we are keeping you in our thoughts :bighug 

:dogcookie:dogcookie<-- for Tessie :wub:

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

2 hours ago, gracegirl said:

Even if she's not with you long, once she recovers from this surgery there's no more pain and no chance of a sudden break. 

Great update!!  They'll have her up and walking pretty soon, and she'll be home with you to recover!!

Go Tessie!!!! :yay

{{{HUGS}}} for you!!

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

2 hours ago, greysmom said:

Great update!!  They'll have her up and walking pretty soon, and she'll be home with you to recover!!

Go Tessie!!!! :yay

{{{HUGS}}} for you!!

She was walking two hours after surgery! Go Tessie go! 

3 hours ago, MP_the4pack said:

Even if she's not with you long, once she recovers from this surgery there's no more pain and no chance of a sudden break. 

This is such a huge relief. 

3 hours ago, gracegirl said:

She was walking two hours after surgery! Go Tessie go! 

Yessss!! Good girl! 

She’s bleeding a bit more than they’d like. The tech got snippy with me when I asked her to pull the records and see when Amicar was given. I got initial push back on Amicar prior to surgery so I wanted to make sure it wasn’t overlooked during her amp (it wasn’t) so hopefully when I go see her in a bit she’s doing better. They’d like to discharge her today but depending how how she is when I get there, I might push for another night. 

Small world. Her surgeon worked with Dr Couto over 20 years ago. He was surprised to see Dr C’s name on the paperwork. 

I just got home from seeing sweet T. Her other back leg is quite swollen which is why they are keeping her longer. She also has significant bruising and a fluid pocket along her belly towards her chest. I picked up some arnica gel to have on hand. She’s still getting Amicar and I picked some up at Walgreens today too for when she comes home. 
I was able to het her to eat an Arby’s roast beef slider, 1/4 pound of turkey, a half a can of cat food, and a few slices of cheese. She tried to bust out of the kennel when I get then, but then I climbed inside with her and she was dozing off when I left. 
I was able to give her a break from the cone for a bit. She was able to get up and down on her own as well. All in all, as long as the swelling goes down or stays the same, I feel comfortable bringing her home tomorrow. 

That all sounds really normal, Lauren.  And if you got her to eat - that's even better!!  I hope the swelling goes down soon and you can get her home with you.

{{{hugs}}}

Got a call from the surgeon this morning. He came in on his day off to check on her. Still swelling, bruising and bleeding so we are going to re-wrap and spring her out of the slammer this afternoon. 

Also for anyone going through an amp soon, call around to you local pharmacies in advance. It’s still hard to find. For a 5 day supply Walgreens wanted to charge me nearly $300 (the vet was over $1000) but I was able to use a GoodRx coupon to bring the price down to $87.