Well, we were planning for the worst, while we were waiting we actually made plans to let her go at home tomorrow night. The ER vet came out to the waiting room to talk to us and everything changed. I'm still reeling - in a good way.

They don't see any osteo in her spine or rear legs. She had a pain response in her back, no neurological issues at all. I'm trying to get her in to see her regular vet for a chiro treatment on Saturday. She was VERY dehydrated, she has no mets in her lungs, the suspicious spots in her lungs that have been there since April are still there, but are not mets. They think the fever is from being dehydrated or from the cancer. They saw something in her lungs (bronchial) and think it's something associated with older dogs or a form of asthma, but it isn't bothering her at all.

They gave her sub Q fluids, Cerenia to prevent nausea, Tramadol, Gabapentin, and an appetite stimulant. There is nothing that is imminently life threatening. They think the panting is from the dehydration and/or the cancer. They are sending her home with Just For Dogs bland diet. BIG SIGH. She came out to the car and the light was back in her eyes. I cried.

Tonight she was too tired to eat, she is sleeping comfortably. She is on Tramadol for her back and we haven't given her the Gabapentin, but will if needed. And tonight at 11:00pm, her temperature was NORMAL without dousing her in rubbing alcohol and putting a fan directly on her!!!

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Bowie, you're one tough little girl. :beatheart

Edited by macoduck

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

...the light was back in her eyes.

YESSS!!!!! :beatheart

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Yay! Now don't scare us like that again. :shakefinger

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Good news :balloonparty:balloonparty

Annette, mom to Banjo (AJN Spider Man) & Casey (kitty), wife to Roy. Mom to bridgekids: Wheat (GH), Icabod (GH), Scarlett (Cab's Peg Bundy), Rhett (Kiowa Day Juice), Dixie (Pazzo Dixie), Pogo/Gleason (Rambunctious), and Miriam (Miriam of Ruckus) and Spooky, Taffy, Garfield, & Lefty (kitties)

Eating well with the appetite stimulant. Temp was up to 103.9 this morning, I don't like that at all. She's getting subQ fluids this afternoon and chiro tomorrow. I'm going to have a heart to heart with her vet during chiro tomorrow. If the fever isn't from back pain and is from the cancer I don't know that there is anymore that can be done. She's still able to get up to go outside and walk around. I don't want to give up, but more importantly, I want her to have quality of life and no suffering.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

I commented on this earlier - Adam's temperature would go high when he got stressed - this was after he got osteo. I was giving gaba to bring the anxiety down whenever we had to go to vets. I don't think it is from the osteo itself - seems to be a combination of possible lung issues and excessive panting from anxiety and not being able to cool down from the normal body mechanisms.

I commented on this earlier - Adam's temperature would go high when he got stressed - this was after he got osteo. I was giving gaba to bring the anxiety down whenever we had to go to vets. I don't think it is from the osteo itself - seems to be a combination of possible lung issues and excessive panting from anxiety and not being able to cool down from the normal body mechanisms.

I think there is a lot of merit to this. Bowie had a chiro adjustment today with her regular vet, her hips were really off, it took a lot for the vet to get them back into place. She made me feel a lot better, she's not one to sugarcoat. At the end of the visit Bowie was able to get into the Sphinx possible to again! First time in about a week!

Back for another chiro treatment, she's moving better, so doesn't have a big appetite. I'm hoping that's because the antibiotic that she finished yesterday. Yesterday's adjustment want as dramatic as the one on Saturday, so that's good. Temp is still 102-103 range.

The vet oncologist who gives her the osteo vaccine said he thought the fevers were from the pain/panting/dehydration cycle, not from OS tumors. He felt that the cancer causing the fevers theory was "weird". That is a very unusual word for him to use. We've decided to put off her osteo vaccine infusion this weekend until she's feeling better.

Edited by seeh2o

How is she doing otherwise?

Bright eyes, happy, engaged, curious enough to be up and around. She did a small lap last night. Only normal panting with exertion now. I can't wait until the antibiotic is out of her system and she is eating normally again. Thanks for checking :heart

Edited by seeh2o

Thanks for checking on us.

She has had 2 chiro treatments, which have helped tremendously. She has become very picky with her food and stopped eating well, though she happily eats her supplements with peanut butter. She's lost several pounds. Two nights ago, in desperation, I tried giving her dry kibble in her bowl with nothing else. She ate ALL of it without coaxing! She has now eaten 3 meals of kibble in the last day 2 days. Now that she seems to be eating better she has a lot more energy and is even brighter, following me around, asking for scritches, and doing full body shakes.

I've never heard of a raw fed dog turning up their nose at raw and preferring kibble, but if that's what she wants, that's what she'll get! I bought an Instant Pot and I'm going to make some bone broth for her tonight.

Edited by seeh2o

Well, we had a blip tonight after I posted that.

I was watching our state burn to the ground on the 24 hour coverage of the fires and noticed a spot that was damp on her belly. I thought maybe she had licked it, but that seemed weird. So, I checked it and found red spot on her belly on top of the abdominal tumor that was wet - serum-y with a very pale tinge of blood - liquid you like a blister. Seems to be causing her no pain, still wanted to eat her KIBBLE, chicken, and string cheese. She had a mild temp, too.

I'm lucky that her vet will respond to texts on Friday nights (Dr. Alice Villalobos is AMAZING). She wants me to put very warm compresses on 2x tonight for 10 min each and cleanse it with a non-stinging antibacterial liquid, then put a sanitary napkin on it in a belly band - and start her on an antibiotic. So, I put a warm compress on it 1x already, I'll do another one in an hour or so. Cleansed it once, will do it again before I put the pad and band on her. She's happy, bright, moving well, doing full body shakes, and is very present.

She's sleeping soundly right now. Her vet thinks it's inflammatory tissue or an infection. I'm trying to swallow my fear and my darkest fears.

Seeh2o, Thinking good thoughts for your girl. Do you think that it could be a leaking seroma?

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png